Tandem Assassin

Night Stalker
Jun 28, 2005
Earth
Name
Tonto Hanglow
Boat
"Two Can Chew"
Thanks for the input. I have watched this for over 40 years and I know it turns on by the 3rd week and July and only get's better ever week - hopefully till mid October or before the first big storm hits.

The media is just hyping / pimping out the season and trying to create a frenzy that just isn't here yet but we can hear them knocking..

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"

Upvote 0

Nick Longoria

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2012
Pomona Ca USA
Name
Nick Longoria
Boat
Wellcraft Sportsman 248
Same here. 0-6 on the tuna and batting .350 on the yt...smaller grade. But the good reports on here help me to keep going. And I got lots of tissue

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'm confused as to what ended and what you want to get started.

The WFO bite on 8# YFT or what?

I feel your pain/frustration on the bft. They've been a pita but tomorrow is a new day....:D

Upvote 0

PacificPredator

Captain
    Dec 9, 2010
    LBC
    Name
    Brad
    Boat
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Upvote 0

devodave

keeping the kid hooked up
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Name
    "Old School"
    Boat
    Really old but solid 25' SeaRay Flybridge
    Fish are loaded with crab, down deep, with rare showings on top. High pressure weekends like we just had drive them back down quick.

What does that mean?....Patience. long soaks. Its fishing. We too have long, bad spells with no fish, high fuel bills, etc. Then the magic day happens that makes us keep doing it.

Reactions: keithb
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    2 for 5 in the past few weeks. I blame it on the crabs and bad conditions. 2 of those 5 days were exceptionally nasty - squalls, 1 was navigational. The two days I had smooth waters with activity and good visibility it was on.

Good luck to you. We will see a redemption post soon.

Reactions: Simon Bon Bowery
    Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    Just keep doing what you been doing, you'll do fine, it's been a tough bite. We've only landed fish three trips out of nine tries. We've been lucky.

Upvote 0

StagecoachHB

Is it Buccaneer days yet?
    Sep 15, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Brent
    Boat
    Ranger TUG 21ec Arsenal ...sold: STAGECOACH 27' Boston Whaler
    I wasted 2 trips to the 150 for nothing. Just go to Catalina and get live squid. Worked for me as well as most other people I talked to over there. I just got back after 5 days. Yellows all over the front side. The bass fishing was just stupid.They were hitting my powerbait without even reeling. I even saw yellows caught on the outer moorings of Descano and Hamilton cove. The Island is popping right now.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    I wasted 2 trips to the 150 for nothing. Just go to Catalina and get live squid. Worked for me as well as most other people I talked to over there. I just got back after 5 days. Yellows all over the front side. The bass fishing was just stupid.They were hitting my powerbait without even reeling. I even saw yellows caught on the outer moorings of Descano and Hamilton cove. The Island is popping right now.
    I think you have the right idea.I try to never leave fish to find fish, let the other guys find tuna.then make your move.Yt eat and fight just fine,and i would never look down on a nice bass or even a sculpin,lol.

Upvote 0

Tito ortiz

"Stoked on Fishing"
    Aug 23, 2012
    Huntington Bch
    Name
    Tito Ortiz
    Boat
    Team Punishment
    Need to rig your boat with Simrad to find the fish and Okuma rod and reel with SavageGearUSA tackle to catch them. Oh ya look for birds and don't fish the full moon or weekends. Last thing bring lots of LUCK and no bananas on the boat. Lol

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
    west coast
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    a fish killing center console
    Dont feel bad. We have taken 2 trips so far, both in june, n were blanked on tuna n tails both times. This has NEVER happened on my boat in 15 yrs of owning it. First trip yielded a big bonito on the iron on a paddy n the second trip yielded a lone dodo on the troll. We were very frustrated. The big pictured for me is this... its still very very early in the season which is responsible for the scratch fishing everyone is experiencing. NO ONE is killing it yet. NO ONE! Just hang in there. Itll pop n when it does it will be better than 2014.

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
    Apr 27, 2006
    M Class Planet / Riverside
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    I think we've been a little spoiled by the amount of fish showing up so early, some willing to bite on some days, others making a middle finger with their fins every day. My normal pattern was to fish the Coronados until the FMM thing became an issue, or Catalina from early May through the second week of July waiting for the offshore bite to get started and then hoping to find fish that were ready to bite at least 50% of the time, but usually settled for 30%. August is when you can expect close to 100% success, depending on weather and traffic. But there is truth to the old adage that "if it was raining pussies, someone is bound to get hit by a dick". The good news is that oil is down 5 bucks a barrel so we should see gas under $3 in a few weeks.

Reactions: 2small and wils
    Upvote 0

stevefwolfe

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2008
    Westminster
    Name
    Wolf
    Boat
    yes I have one
    Ya I have not been out after the tuna yet. Yesterday at Catalina was stupid good. The fish were in the 8 to 10 pound range and it was all you wanted. Front side just east of Empire. We were in 65 feet of water with a chum bucket out and you could not keep the yellows off the hooks. I had my mom and kid so that size fish was just right. I will start looking for tune the last week of July and if we don't get any big storms it may go long this season just stick with it. On a side note the bass fishing was incredible. We caught at least 50 almost all over 15" to about 19" all but 4 that were hooked in the gills were released but the quality was insane!!!

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    The bigger BFTs have been very tough for us, we've hooked three landed one in the 70 plus lb range.

The yellows have been stupid for us, 150, 105, Green Can, Kelps and all over Catalina, really don't care if I see another yellow this year. We have probably caught 40 yellows over 30 lbs this year, easy easy

Reactions: FINADDICT*
    Upvote 0

tombo0055

Jun 29, 2012
    Lake Elsinore,Ca
    Name
    Tom Sarraille
    Boat
    pier and jetty fisherman
    Now I don't feel so bad spending 250 dollars on an all nighter to San Clem island and catching two dinker bass, a dinker whitefish and a dinker sheepshead! To add insult to injury, on the last stop before heading back the guy (hot stick) next to me boated a 30 lb yeller!!!! :mad::zelfmoord

Upvote 0
    Sep 24, 2007
    Vista, CA
    www.linkedin.com
    Name
    Christopher Davis
    Boat
    Prowler 13
    I feel your pain, seeing Tuna boil just 3 miles off LJ, with only 2 other boats around, throwing everything in the tackle box including chumming, live bait, the whole enchilada for NADA !! Only to see you friends slay 'em the day before or after. Keep doing everything right, and the time will come. In a normal year I have way more YT by now from H/L or spearing, however the sights I've seen still makes for an incredible day on the water. At the end of the Day our wallets and wifes/family give us the disparaging looks that make that unwelcoming feeling so hurtful, but carry on and be vigilant..Stay Fishy my friends.

Upvote 0