when does

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by Sluester, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Hunters are no different than fishermen as far as what each guy thinks is the shit and what other guys do that is wrong. That said, we need to stick together just like how we do for our fishing rights.

In every single form of hunting man has come up with something to use to their advantage.

Waterfowl = camo, repeating weapons, 3.5 inch shells, hiding in portable blinds, decoys, bait, skybusting, calls, dogs, paid hunts, private land.

Carnivores = dogs, calls, bait, scents, using horses, quads, rifles with scopes, repeating weapons, paid hunts or private land.

Small game = shotguns, calls, dogs, bait, rifles with scopes, decoys, scents, repeating weapons, paid hunts or private land.

Big game, = camo, calls, scents, bait, assorted vehicles to get back in, horses, repeating rifles with scopes, paid hunts or private land.

We all use something from these lists to our advantage and it's legal to do so. The last thing the antis need to see is splintering of our sport from within.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    With todays gear choices do you think hunting getting watered down?

Had my son shoot a friends gun a few weeks ago. .308 he had a range finding scope on it. He really has never shot something like that. He had me set up a target at 300 yds. Jared was shooting laying down using the tri pod. after a lil coaching He shot 3 times. All 3"bullets hit in a 5" circle. He turns to me and says that's cool. A lot easiser than my bow.

Last month I actually went to an arcyery range. Couple guys were shooting pretty long range. I'd say about 100 yds. We cruised over and watched. They were hitting a target about the size of a large paper plate consistently. I was impressed. Jared wouldn't even try it. He shoots to 40yds. That's what Ive trained to shoot. The 2 guys don't shoot at fritters tha far but by practicing at that range 60 yds. In is easy. Made me start thinking about stuff like this.
    Guess I have too much time on my hands...

Put fur on something you are trying to shoot and the game changes. If I ever lose that rysh I'll hang up the guns n bow.

I try to teach my kids......... Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. Maunsell

Maunsell Maunsell

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    13' Hobie Revo, layout boat
    As someone who grew up strictly hunting wild pheasants and have recently shifted to waterfowl, I would have to say that the pursuit and strategy is what makes it hunting. I have become obsessed with waterfowl hunting because of what is mentioned above. I think this can be applied to the furry critters as well. Personally, I get a lot of my enjoyment from the planning, setup, and finally the rush of having it all work out in a good hunt.

If shooting from whatever distance, at whatever game, with whatever gun/bow gives us this satisfaction, as opposed to having someone else tell us where to go and pull the trigger, I think that is where my line is. I have never rifle hunted (may never), so I have no idea what it takes and won't judge. I just know where I get my enjoyment and it isn't just the kill.

4. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Do not concur!
    I will speak out against stuff I consider unethical. If we don't police ourselves the anti's will use that stuff to sweep with much broader strokes.
    I won't be lumped in with guys I consider to be jackwagons. We need to have an image of responsible stewards who exhibit a degree of fair chase and sportsmanship.
    We need to walk the walk and not tolerate slobs with a gun. Think of any shooting area that existed in San Diego in the last 30 yrs.
    Think of the goings on on Sept 1. If something seems uncool to me as a hunter, how do you think it is perceived by the yuppy family out on a picnic or surfing you tube? Guess who has more votes when the anti's get their legislation to the ballot box. If you guessed anti's + yuppy family over me, we think alike. Have I been guilty of stuff I'm not proud of personally? Yes.

I've evolved over the years and see things through different eyes than I had when I was 20 and new.

5. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    I think you know what I mean. If I see people shooting and leaving old microwaves, shooting from vehicles, etc I'll call cal-tip but I'm not going to get into someone's face for shooting at a bird I think is out of decent range.

6. BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR Member

Name:
    Ed F
    Boat:
    Friend of boat owners
    Just read some of the responses... that's why. Ed F

untitled.jpg

7. socalcowboy

socalcowboy Newbie

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Well said Aggro - I totally agree - Shooting is what you do to practice for hunting. Hunting is the act of pursuing game.

8. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Why are you taking this so personal kurt?

9. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    This is such a hot button topic, thanks for keeping it on track guys.

For me, if it's legal it's ok. I'm not here to judge anyone who is doing something legal that they enjoy. I also do not like when someone judges someone else for something they haven't tried or know little about.

Ethics are a personal thing that vary from person to person based upon your upbringing, experiences and a million other external factors.

I don't dig long range "hunting", but if that's your thing and you're doing it legally go for it.

I'm not into hunting bears over bait, but if that's your thing, go for it.

I choose not to kill marlin 99% of the time, but if I want to take one for a tourney and/or the smoker I will not hesitate.

I never thought I would want to "hunt" over a feeder, but I tried it recently and I found it challenging and exciting with a bow. But by the same token if it was a rifle hunt, lame IMO, but I'm not gonna knock someone for it.

We all know guys that like to kill shit and we all know guys that like to hunt. I think the majority of us fall somewhere in the middle.

If you do something in the field or on the water that you wouldn't want your friends and family to know about, then you probably shouldn't do it.

At the end of the day you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror.

10. Maunsell

Maunsell Maunsell

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    13' Hobie Revo, layout boat
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression (and like to think) that 99% of the people on here can agree with this: hunting and fishing are a process and the end result, the kill/catch, is a reward at the end. That is why we go back time and time again after we get skunked/miss a shot/don't find the "x".

Perhaps "shooting" is for people that only enjoy the result?

11. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    I think you are trying to steal my paddle. :D You ready for second half of A22? The ass freezing half?

12. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    I've got the paddle!

Already filled my tag...opening day.
    Jareds got his tag to fill.

13. WhyMe

WhyMe Talk shit... Get hit :)

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Mako CC
  14. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Ready to run down and shoot some of those freshly planted, DFW pen raised ditch pigeons? :rofl: Tax dollars at work :D

15. FWebb

FWebb Newbie

Name:
    Forrest
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521 w/Yami SHO 250
    I guess to a point it could get "watered down" with all the high tech gear. When it comes to getting kids into hunting I think a good mix of hunting and weapons works the best to keep them involved. Let them chase some critters with archery gear and firearms. Kids have a short attention span for the most part so I think it is important for them to bag some game to keep them interested. The .308 might be easier than his bow, but I am sure the thrill of taking an animal with archery gear will be much more rewarding.

16. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    I have different outlook on it now living in Arizona. I can go kill or shoot about anything, about anytime.

Like fishing, its about being outside that matters.

I quail hunt 1-2 times a week this time year. That doesn't mean I kill something, it means I take a road I've never been down before and maybe I see a bird or 30.

Fish, bird, deer, pig, elk, bear, sheep or whatever...to me, its about the camp or boat ride with the kids, family and friends, not the kill with a bow, rifle, or whatever.

Let's see more photos of kids hunting! They're my favorite!

17. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Agreed.

Last season. Public land First deer ever 33yds. 14yrs old.
    Been hunting with since he was 3. Good shot very patient.

Attached Files:

18. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    but.........What does........................

.....a Fox Say. :D Sorry I have kids LOL LOL :)

.[video=youtube_share;jofNR_WkoCE]http://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE[/video]

19. speedgoat

speedgoat Green Bastard

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    S/V Grunion
    There as many reasons for hunting as there are individuals. Some hunt for meat, some hunt for trophies, some hunt to brag, some hunt for the challenge, and some hunt to just be in the outdoors and get away from the mundane shit in their daily lives. No reason is any better than the other. As long as you're complying with your local laws and hunting ethically (pursuing wounded animals, not abandoning your carcass, shooting safely, etc.) you're fine in my book. Why pass judgement unless to exercise snobbery? Do I have opinions on which methods I prefer and consider best? Sure. But they are my methods and opinions and do not apply to anyone else.

Is a hunter from Alaska that takes a shot at a moose from "excessive fair-chase distance" to feed his family for the winter any less of a hunter than some dude from the suburbs with a bow that sits in a tree stand all day long to get a nice set of horns for his wall? Nope. And vice versa. Is the self-guided do-it-yourself elk hunter any more noble than the rich dude who fly's in for the weekend to get walked onto a trophy bull by a guide? Nope. It all depends on what you intend to get out of your effort. If you're satisfied with yourself and can talk about it truthfully to other people and own it, then you're fine by me. You define yourself as a hunter. If what you do pleases you, then rock on with your bad self. I don't judge because, personally, I couldn't give a fuck about other peoples' specific preferences. I hunt for me. Your mileage may vary.

20. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Wished my son still enjoyed hunting with me but nowadays its all about his dirt bike...

Attached Files: