When do the new Penn Low Profile Baitcasters come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrklyn

http://www.brooklyn-living.com/fishing.html
Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
why only 6 bearings. I see inexpensive chinese reels with 17+1 bearings

MRC70

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 31, 2016
San Marcos, CA
Name
MRC
Boat
not yet
There will be both a Squall and Fathom series Low-Profiles.
Squalls= $149-$199 retail
Fathoms= $249-$299 retail
Exact arrival date TBD; needless to say, the supply chain has suffered some interruption recently.
Awesome! Can't wait!

MRC70

Oct 31, 2016
San Marcos, CA
Name
MRC
Boat
not yet
There will be both a Squall and Fathom series Low-Profiles.
Squalls= $149-$199 retail
Fathoms= $249-$299 retail
Exact arrival date TBD; needless to say, the supply chain has suffered some interruption recently.
Any plans on PENN making some west coast style 8' rods to match these new reels?

mrbrklyn

Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
17 cheap bearings are still much less expensive than 6 good ones.
Maybe but the AbuGarcia MGX has 11 top quality bearings. I'm not an expert on bearings but I can remember from my bicycling days than nearly any bearing produced today are far better than the top available bearings in the 1990's. And they still age.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Maybe but the AbuGarcia MGX has 11 top quality bearings. I'm not an expert on bearings but I can remember from my bicycling days than nearly any bearing produced today are far better than the top available bearings in the 1990's. And they still age.

Abu MGX retail is $369-$499.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Any plans on PENN making some west coast style 8' rods to match these new reels?

Several new Battalion II inshore rods that will match well [I have not used them yet], but they are all 7 feet.

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
why only 6 bearings. I see inexpensive chinese reels with 17+1 bearings
The reason why cheap chinesium reels put 10+ bearings in their reels is to satisfy a non-sensical metric that many consumers often ask for. There are only a handful of places that a baitcaster reel needs to have bearings: spool bearings (x2), pinion bearing, and anti-reverse bearing. Additional bearings go under the drive shaft, in the levelwind, above the ARB, and two under each knob. That's a double digit bearing count. Keep in mind that all of the additional bearings I mentioned are in critical points of potential corrosion.

There are some freshwater-oriented reels that boast such a high bearing count, but very few that do it well, and they are often $400+.

I guess at this point, the question is why would you want more than 6 bearings and what are you willing to sacrifice to achieve that bearing count?

Reactions: mrbrklyn and plj46

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hey Steve will the fathom low profile have centrifugal brakes or magnetic brakes?

Squall= Magnetic Casting Brake
Fathom= Dual Action Casting Brake

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

The PENN® Squall Low Profile reels offer all the durability you would expect from PENN®. The machined and anodized aluminum frame, 5+1 stainless steel bearing system, and machined brass gears give the Squall durability at its core. Available in 200, 300 and 400 sizes with both standard and high speed gear ratios. Left hand models available in standard gear ratio only.

- My question is when does this come out?
- How does it compare to Lexa, Tranx, Komodo
- Why no SS gears?
- Why no 500 size?

Why not SS gears?
The "Low Profile" market demands "smoothness".
As noted when comparing PENN's larger/heavier-duty models that have stainless gears in comparison to competitors models that have brass gears, there is a difference in "gear feel".

Last edited:
Reactions: tgorman

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I prefer my reels to have as few bearings as possible to function.Less is more.

Reactions: MRC70

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Is that right, the 400 size reels only hold 200 yards of #50?

I think the Lexa and Tranx 400 both hold over 300 yards of #50?

mrbrklyn

Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot

mrbrklyn

Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
The reason why cheap chinesium reels put 10+ bearings in their reels is to satisfy a non-sensical metric that many consumers often ask for. There are only a handful of places that a baitcaster reel needs to have bearings: spool bearings (x2), pinion bearing, and anti-reverse bearing. Additional bearings go under the drive shaft, in the levelwind, above the ARB, and two under each knob. That's a double digit bearing count. Keep in mind that all of the additional bearings I mentioned are in critical points of potential corrosion.

There are some freshwater-oriented reels that boast such a high bearing count, but very few that do it well, and they are often $400+.

I guess at this point, the question is why would you want more than 6 bearings and what are you willing to sacrifice to achieve that bearing count?

I had assumed that the bearing count was for the spool, not the entire reel, like the knobs etc. The reason you would want more? Not more, but the right amount. There is diminishing returns with bearings. You need enough to equally distribute the stress and the weight, but too many is just adding friction and inertia.

mrbrklyn

Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
Why not SS gears?
The "Low Profile" market demands "smoothness".
As noted when comparing PENN's larger/heavier-duty models that have stainless gears in comparison to competitors models that have brass gears, there is a difference in "gear feel".

the steel is rougher? In the star drag torques the steel gear is a very decent advantage. But why add this weight to the reel at all when high grade Aluminum alloy works

Status
Not open for further replies.