When do the new Penn Low Profile Baitcasters come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextMikeSays

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat

The PENN® Squall Low Profile reels offer all the durability you would expect from PENN®. The machined and anodized aluminum frame, 5+1 stainless steel bearing system, and machined brass gears give the Squall durability at its core. Available in 200, 300 and 400 sizes with both standard and high speed gear ratios. Left hand models available in standard gear ratio only.

- My question is when does this come out?
- How does it compare to Lexa, Tranx, Komodo
- Why no SS gears?
- Why no 500 size?

mrbrklyn

http://www.brooklyn-living.com/fishing.html
Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
Why not, Abu Garcia and Penn are owned by the same company and these low profile baitcasters seem to be all made in a select few factories in Korea. The question will be, what does Penn bring to this market to push it ahead, or to differentiate it from the current crop of Lews, Abu Garcia, Diawa and Shimano's.

I'm convinced after using these things that they are the new technology and most other real types are left in the dust by the advancements that these reals bring. They are hardened against bird nesting, cast like bats out of hell, weigh far less that standard reals, and are highly maintainable.

This squal seems to be brass gearing. I'd like to see if they can get a light weight steel gearing. Maybe it can be made from ChomMoly? Otherwise, the aluminum main gear seems to be light weight and works fine. And the high end reels are already 9+1 bearings.

I'd like to see a design where you can get at everything, with a clear maintenance plan.

Also the breaking would be interesting to see what they can do. The centrifugal force breaking is pretty decent on the Abu Garcia's. Shimano, has brought forward a system that is controlled by a CPU. I think that might be over kill, but I haven't fished it.

The two goals for production of these, in my mind, is the drive to lower the weight of the reels, and smooth casting. On the last note, I have wished for a system to prevent inadvertent premature locking. These reels can be dangerous underhand casting on a boat distance when the handle spins forward and it locks unexpectedly. One can and will learn to get around that with use, but I ended up with a hook in my upper arm in the learning curve. That doesn't happen with conventional reels.

Regardless, I think one can take the conventional reel only so far, and Penn has pretty much done so, with 2 speeds lever drags, and I'm not even a fan of the leverdrag. These low profile designs are the future.

Will we see low profile 800 yard tuna reels ? Sure - why not. Modern materials have get beef in the design to give that area all the advantages of a low profile, light weight design as well. It is just a matter of design, technology and time.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
There will be a Penn fathom version also that has the higher grade components. Kinda like the Daiwa Lexa hd.
It does say reels, but the description only talks about a squall that traditionally has been graphite. The one on the right looks like a fathom family reel to me. They look fucking nice for sure!

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
There will be both a Squall and Fathom series Low-Profiles.
Squalls= $149-$199 retail
Fathoms= $249-$299 retail
Exact arrival date TBD; needless to say, the supply chain has suffered some interruption recently.

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Exact arrival date TBD; needless to say, the supply chain has suffered some interruption recently.
Lefty?

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
Sign me up for that FTH 200!
Steve will any of the sizes have a power handle?

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
It’ll be interesting to see how the Fathom lo pros stack up against the Komodo. Are these reels going to have a disengaging or synchronized levelwind?

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Braid capacity on the 400 ?

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
I've had Lexas, Komodo, Revo Toro and Tranx.

What's the Penn differentiation besides brand. Can I service it easily like Fathom II reels?

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
Hey Steve will the fathom low profile have centrifugal brakes or magnetic brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.