When did you upgrade to a power wrapper?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by calihighfishing, May 28, 2019.

1. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grant Darby
    Boat:
    Which one?
    Same track, all the attachments will fit either one. Both PacBay and the Alps unit offer an upgraded chuck and that is where the difference is. Hard to beat the Alps. If cost is an issue, just get the base PacBay and upgrade when you feel you need to. Problems with a blank popping out of the stands can be fixed easily, Woodburner had a neat trick for modiyfing them. His post should still be available. Most suppliers will be about the same price, it's the shipping that gets ya'.

plj46 likes this.
  2. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grant Darby
    Boat:
    Which one?
    Just an after thought......check the cost of additional track sections and stands from both Batson and PacBay.

3. Mtnfshr

Mtnfshr Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chuck Mc
    Boat:
    none
    Support a local business and start off with a basic PacBay unit. Get it from Island Tackle or C&M(acidrod.com) and upgrade to the ALPS heavy duty headstock and chuck later. Use thread bobbins to hold your thread spools. I don't know about the shipping cost from Utmost Enterprises,but the upgrade from them is about $135 before shipping. Whether you buy it locally,or from Utmost,the shipping cost is generally figured into the price either way.

double_entendre likes this.
  4. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I've built and/or completely restored almost 50 rods in the last 3 years and some full builts from the blank on this thingy and still debating if I should jump for a power wrapper or continue like this, working on this wood box gives me the sensation and feeling like a hobby like something to spend some free time at night instead of watch TV on a coach, I help my friends and get some funds also for the fishing addiction.
    but always with my eyes wide open for a oportunity priced unit.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/poors-man-manual-wrapper.654525/

IMAG7432 sss.jpg IMAG7427  ss.jpg

double_entendre likes this.
  5. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    No reason to buy new. I got an older Pic Bay wrapper last year. It had a metal Chuck already. Orca said the old models came like that.

6. broton

broton Member

Name:
    KC
    Boat:
    23 Cobra Performance
    I started with a Custom Power Wrapper, around 1994, I think it was like $300-400 back then. However, the thing is going strong. I have considered getting a new Alps but not worth it right now. I only wrap, 3-4 rods per year but can’t imagine not having a power wrapper. It makes it much easier.

7. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    HAND WRAPPER.JPG I moved on to a power wrapper after finding one in the trash. Someone threw it away, all it needed was a belt. A fully functioning ATC power wrapper with dryer and three sections of rail. I've since bought a 4' extension rail and and extra pedestal fixture for it so I can do longer rods.
    The one in the picture is a hand made manual wrapper I made from solid oak. Served me well for a few rods.

Attached Files:

One_Leg and double_entendre like this.
  8. double_entendre

double_entendre Zat is not my tuna

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Ho, ho, ho your boat
    That's weird about PacBay and plastic jaws. Mine has metal with rubber grippers to hold the blank.

9. Hotroddin

Hotroddin Member

Name:
    Matt Riddell
    Boat:
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
    I've built probably 30-40 rods on the same wooden wrapper I cobbled together from entertainment center shelves years ago. Full of holes from me moving stuff around to get it dialed in for different setups, but it works just fine. I've looked into power units from time to time, but I won't get a few hundred dollars of benefit from them, so I always pass.

10. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    I’m way too cheap to get another section of track so I use clamps to hold the 2 tracks and put a gap between the two sections....

Mtnfshr likes this.
  11. carnage007

carnage007 Member

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    to poor
    I went back and looked at my wrapper and it is metal but still comes loose. I have plastic jaws on my Pac Bay 4 rod dryer.