What's your idea of a successful Long Range Trip.

What kind of trip are you looking for?

• Lots of variety....smaller fish but everyone Has a chance to get their fill.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Go big or go home! The boat may ignore known spots of smaller fish to pursue trophy fish!

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Try for bigs....but if everyone isn't catching go for variety!

Votes: 53 60.9%

• Total voters
Dexter Outdoors

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think my favorite part of my last 5 or 6 trips has been waking up on the 4th morning, going out on deck. The air has changed,the water looks different and in a few hours we'll be at hurricane bank to see what the trip will bring. It's all gravy from there. At that point I figure the trip has been a success. Bonus points for not having a roomate and not having to troll.

Reactions: fishboy93
Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
on a long trip 8-17 days, the only thing you can control if the day the trip leaves and the boat you decide to go on,and sometimes not even that. then you have complete control of your attitude. asking for and getting a private room also helps. picking a low profile spot for you box helps too. everything els is an opportunity for the trip of your lifetime and the stories you will tell about the trip/ any adversity makes for a great fish story. I just talk to myself and remind my self that god is giving me an opportunity to have a great adventure that I will be able to talk about the rest of my life.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
My definition of success this time around is much different. I will define it successful just getting on the boat. Leaving November 1st on a 10 day. Been fighting cancer for a year, have my last surgery tomorrow, have 3 weeks to recover. I am so looking forward to seeing my fellow anglers, which I've cultivated life long friendships with, Just want to suck up every moment of the long range experience, going to take lots if pictures, something I normally dont do. And if im lucky, will walk off the boat a better angler, than before. And maybe catch a few fish. My definition of success on a trip ,has been profoundly changed, for the remainder of my life.
tom I wish you a speedy recovery and prayers for continued health like you I to am fighting 4 years into my battle it changes how you look at it all
Tight Lines

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
When one looks back on every trip they have taken, it is the people that I remember most along with the occasional exceptional fish of mine or by another angler... I fish the same boat on my 18 day mostly due to the other anglers, and the crazy crew antics..
DSC07470.jpg

Tight lines,

Jeff

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
I haven't done enough LR yet to claim that it's about catching up with old friends - but I hope to get that point in another 10 years. I do believe that a great crew and fun/interesting fellow anglers makes a trip really enjoyable - and that "That Guy" can make it very irritating. Good weather, a clean boat and good food are also a major plus.

But if I'm being honest, I wouldn't be happy with a trip unless I've hooked into some fish that scare me. Whether it's flyfishing in Montana, or going after big tuna - I want to hook into fish that I'm not sure I can get back to the boat. Fish that run so hard, that you're not sure they're going to stop. Fish that make you think about every connection in your tackle. Fish whose pictures (whether kept or C&R) will bring you back a lifetime of joyful memories. That to me is the drug, and I'm addicted. My name is Ron.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Hi Ron ;) I totally understand about the fish...especially those fish. To me, weather is the great variable. Did a trip on the RRIII...went straight to the rocks, and the wahoo were wide open, put over a hundred on the boat first half day...but we had to leave as a hurricane was coming, and we were already feeling the effects. Morale got low. Andy pulled one out of his hat, and we went to the 'lupe for 2 great days on the 80-100 grade tuna, and finished with over 300 albacore the last day. You start planning a trip maybe a year before...you can factor in boat, crew, your own attitude and maybe you already know most of the other guys. But a year in advance, all you know is a fall trip MAY have weather. Play your best cards to the end.

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hi Ron ;) I totally understand about the fish...especially those fish. To me, weather is the great variable. Did a trip on the RRIII...went straight to the rocks, and the wahoo were wide open, put over a hundred on the boat first half day...but we had to leave as a hurricane was coming, and we were already feeling the effects. Morale got low. Andy pulled one out of his hat, and we went to the 'lupe for 2 great days on the 80-100 grade tuna, and finished with over 300 albacore the last day. You start planning a trip maybe a year before...you can factor in boat, crew, your own attitude and maybe you already know most of the other guys. But a year in advance, all you know is a fall trip MAY have weather. Play your best cards to the end.
for me it all Starts with the front office
after you Put a deposit down on a Trip
when you call and they Answer all your
Question you have , and you get a Good
Stateroom, once you Board, just Remember
that your on Vacation..
and every one on the Boat wants to Have fun
NOT JUST YOU.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Hey Guys,
Lots of great responses to this post. It kind of went a different way than I expected. I guess I wasn't thinking about what makes a great LR in general....to me ..as some others have said...you're on the boat...you're on vacation...everything is great...this is the small stuff I am talking about. However, I have been on some trips where this wasn't small stuff to some. I have seen anglers who were genuinely upset at the direct the boat was taking for the trip. My reason for the post was just to make folks aware these decision do happen and different boats and different charters do things differently. Check with your trip if things like this affect you. If it doesn't....chill out and enjoy your trip......you're Long Range fishing...what could be better?

Many of you posted that the crew and the boat were one of the things that made your trip. I have to agree. But from a different perspective. I'm a boat flip flopper...I love them all...I go according to my schedule, length of trip, cost and availability of my friends. I haven't been on a Long Range boat that I didn't love the boat and crew. Yes, some are different...some do things do their own way....to me I like them all. So when I go Long Ranging this is just expected as part of the trip. Just go on a Day Boat if you forgot the feeling....you will quickly learn how great the long range trip is.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
One thing I think is crucial to successful fishing is flexibility... fishing is a last minute decision making situation... conditions change constantly so accepting the FACT that the crews are going to use the most current info they have which could change enroute to put their customers in position for success..
Of course some crews are better than others at it but they are all trying to achieve the same thing..
Guys that get upset at last minute change of plans just don't understand how successsful fisherman operate..

Last edited:
Reactions: jer dog
Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
One thing I think is crucial to successful fishing is flexibility...

Agreed. On a 5 day earlier this year the rumblings started when we heard that we were going to the ridge to fish for yellows. That was near 2 days of driving for one day of fishing without any promise of fish. It was tough on morale.

What made up for it were the accommodations, abundance of delicious food and the crew. We knocked it out of the park for our one day of fishing and everyone one the boat had a great time.

For me, it's go for a big fish if they are there but know when to buckle down and change plans for something else when things don't work out. I feel like that's the reason for the longer trips...the ability to adjust and change. Oh unless it was late last season at SCI...I'd happily have been anchored up on a long range trip there catching 100lb bft cast after cast.

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

joshua cunningham

Fresh One!!
Jul 14, 2015
Salem, OR
Name
Josh
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme
Being from Oregon now but having grown up in So Cal, my heart has never left the saltwater, I could care less if we just back the boat up to an island and throw swimbaits for calicos. I count down the long agonizing days until my trips leave every year. For me now, my entire trip is made when I see my wife and kids bring fish to the gaff, sometimes I just hangout and watch them fish like I am watching inside sportsfishing. AWESOME!! Oh, and it gives me an excuse to buy an excess of rods, reels and tackle since its a family affair now LOL

Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    To me a great trip first involves the skipper who calls the shots and finds the fish. He is my number one important factor. Its been my good fortune to have fished with excellent skippers. It is a real plus when I arrive in the wheelhouse and feel welcome and at home. The crew’s skill can be critical especially when they help you get a fish that, without that real skill, you would have lost. Again, I have had some bad and low skilled deckhands, but mostly the best of the best crewmen. They teach me to fish better, they REALLY want me to catch more fish and have fun. Most are fun to be around. A treat is when a crewman on the baittank moves the net with an absolutely perfect bait inside, a gift from the gods. I can pick baits but those baits get bit right now. I like good food and can easily adjust to great or amazing food. Good or great chefs add nicely to the vacation feeling. Often I fish with people close to me for many many years. The Barking Spiders bring the party to the boat and kill lots of fish. They also are considerate of others while fishing. Often they do not have to be asked to raise their rods when another person on a fish comes under, their rods are already up high. They have situational awareness and can avoid tangles or untangle lines without a deckhand. Often we wind in and move away from people on a fish to be sure not to tangle them, not every time but often. Yes, we have heard the term Spider webs, but I think we are better than many at avoiding tangles. Some folks unfortunately just stare at their bait and think the stern corner is their spot, not so. Some people don’t move with their bait and this can be disastrous when the bite happens. People like this are collectively “that guy” and they can seriously detract from a good trip. I have been on several 3 and 9-10 day trips where I knew no other anglers (just the skipper and crew) and I had a great time with wonderful people who displayed real fishing talent. Usually a good trip runs like a well oiled machine with skipper, crew, chef, fishermen and biting fish in harmony.

Mike and Gordon Lackey of the Vagabond have remarked regularly that their aim is to make customers happy and have a good time NOT JUST CATCH FISH. They catch lots of fish due to their skill but that is SECOND. Yes, we go to catch fish and I want limits whenever I can catch them, but I have had very fine trips where we caught less fish than I wanted. It was fun.

I leave in 10/16 on the SD Anglers 10 day trip. It will be epic!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    What makes a good trip for you?

Getting back alive with no more fish tags on my belt.
    Kub,

Sorry to hear that you have never had a good trip since I don't think I have ever seen you without a tag on your belt no matter how many fish you catch. : )

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I can do all that in a local micro brewery. 5 minutes away. and maybe $10. :D

But you will have to go home at the end of the night. Every night.

Reactions: $norkle
    Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    Sore arms, a sore back, and a freezer full of quality fish. Meeting and talking to some great people is good, making new friends is great, but let's face it... I'm there to pull on fish.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    A good trip is with good people, good fishing, good weather and good food. I'll always remember my trip last spring on the Rooster: On the last day of fishing I caught a wahoo and two tuna, one a cow and one right at 175. It was a spectacular day. After dinner I realized how beat I was and retired to my cabin to read and fall asleep. But as I was trying to read, I kept thinking: I don't want to read, I want to lie here and remember today. I did that for a while -- and then had good dreams.

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    For me personally, if the weather is good, if it's a good group of anglers (either know how to be fishing or are sincerely trying), if there's no "that guy", if the crew is top notch, if the heads all work, if the boat is a comfortable ride, if the load of bait is decent, and if there is decent fishing for at least a few days of the trip---then it is a good trip. I could care very little whether the food is 4star or 5star----I enjoy a great meal or can be made happy with bagels and cream cheese---hell, we eat too much on these trips anyway. What makes a trip a great trip is if everyone has a successful trip----I hate to see anyone stuck with the "stink"; just want everyone to get a good shot especially first-timers. Oh yeah, I do always want to catch the biggest fish---or maybe the most big fish--but I'm always happy with whatever.

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    For me personally, if the weather is good, if it's a good group of anglers (either know how to be fishing or are sincerely trying), if there's no "that guy", if the crew is top notch, if the heads all work, if the boat is a comfortable ride, if the load of bait is decent, and if there is decent fishing for at least a few days of the trip---then it is a good trip. I could care very little whether the food is 4star or 5star----I enjoy a great meal or can be made happy with bagels and cream cheese---hell, we eat too much on these trips anyway. What makes a trip a great trip is if everyone has a successful trip----I hate to see anyone stuck with the "stink"; just want everyone to get a good shot especially first-timers. Oh yeah, I do always want to catch the biggest fish---or maybe the most big fish--but I'm always happy with whatever.
    That's an awesome trip...

Upvote 0