Whats your desired amount of pins on a bow sight?

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by BadKarma, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    Shooting my bow today and the questions spawned in my head, Whats the most desired amount of pins on a bow sight? Now i have a five pin, but i feel i could get away with a 3 pin, 10 yards, 30 yards, and 50 yards. What is yalls take on the number of pins on a bow sight?

2. gpaul1961

gpaul1961 Newbie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    LEFT HOOK
    Depends on several things. First off what are you shooting for equipment?

3. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    7, 20-80.

4. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    Im shooting a bear mauler, 27" draw, about 60lbs, 29" arrows. Furthest id even consider shooting is 30 yards, but you never know, sometimes that trophy refuses to let you get close enough.....

5. ambush1

ambush1 Swagger Lures,

Name:
    brett bumz
    Boat:
    23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
    I would say with the new bows 5-7 20-60 yds even up to 80 yds depending on how you shoot and how much you practice. Right now i have 5 pins 20-60 on my bear charge. When i get my new G5 next month i will have 7 pins. So cal is hard to get that 10-20 yd shot

6. gpaul1961

gpaul1961 Newbie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    LEFT HOOK
    Well I would say that typically, for something shooting in the 300 FPS range like your set up, I would likely go with 1 7/8" dia scope and 5 pins. HLA Sport has several, very good sights, with very bright pins in this set up. At 1 7/8, it is a dual pin rail, so you can get 7 pins into it if wanted and you can stay at 1/8" peep to keep some light in the back half. I have started shooting a single in on my AlphaMax. The open sight picture is really nice. From a stand, it would be no sweat to crank the adjustment. Many folks love this set up. Go to a good bow shop and hang several sights (Spot Hogg, HLA, Sword, etc.) and see what you like. 5 pins will divide out pretty well to the intermediate (between pin shots) at all but ridiculous yardage.

7. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Depends how far you want to shoot and what kind of increments. I've got 7 but really only use 5, 20-60yds. That's what I'm comfy with. On the range I can practice but am not comfortable. Too many variables for me to stretch it out further. I usually can only see 60 where I hunt. If for some reason something huge comes out at 70 or 80 and conditions are right I am confident enough to stretch it.
    Hate to see an animal of a lifetime pass by because it's a bit out of range. Just practice. Todays bow are really accurate. It's the shooter that screws shit up. :D

8. dbar

dbar Mmmmmm Backstraps

Name:
    Jim Perkins
    Boat:
    Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"
    I have 4 pins that go as follows
    1-20 and under
    2-30
    3-40
    4-45 out to 80

I use the G5 LX which has 3 fixed and 1 floating pin.....turn the knob on the sight to any yardage in bettwen 45-80 and shoot accurately to your target!!! I have a short draw length and fairly low bow speed, so a guy with a long DL and higher bow speed could probably get the same sight to reach out to 100 yards.!!!!

9. okie man

okie man Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    5pins, 20-60 yards