Whats your average haul? Trying to get an idea on what to expect for processing

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Lone Shark, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I know this is a loaded question but its been a LONG time since ive fished my last 3 day which was before Five Star and back then you hauled home your fish or traded for cans and smoked fish up top. Im trying to get an idea the average haul you guys are handing over to the processors poundage wise. 4-6 days. I know the SOA will hold 15 tons and in 99 we plugged her 3 holds full often but I find it hard to believe people are bringing a 1000lbs of fish back a piece. I don't want to guess by oh they caught 220bft or 150yt etc. Just curious what you guys typically weigh in as im preparing for expenditures at the end of my trip. Need to have money for FIVE STAR, Beer tab & my 30-50% tip for the crew :D

If a Mexican trip limit is 30 fish and your load consisted of a 20lb average assuming you got your limit 600lbs? is that uncommon? Ive spent 90% of my LR experience on the crew side. Not on the catching side. And since this aint cow country im assuming most people are well under a $500 bill for processing?

Thanks.

Just thinking out loud and maybe getting ready to spend some more $$$ at fishermans tackle :rofl:

2. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Yeah, I think you're on target, well under $500. I usually just process @150-200lb of whole fish anyway. I end up with plenty to each once-a-week (two people) for a year. Can't use more than that. I have friends who meet me at the dock and take the rest to the processor or home whole.

3. Raginkjn

Raginkjn Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    24' Vendetta
    I only have two 4 day trips under my belt until next week. 2 years ago I did 680lbs and last year I did 630lbs. Both trips were the first week of September. It's amazing how fast it starts to add up.

4. Statistico

Statistico Statistition

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    The processors can set you up to make donations if you have more than you want or can use. The crew may want some as well. I'd call Sarah (if she is your choice) to see if there are charities that can use it. I saw a charity take a bunch off of the Spirit a couple of weeks ago. My choice has always been Father Joe's here in San Diego. They will give you a donation receipt that your accountant can help you with as far as taxes are concerned. There can be some controversy about the actual write-off.

Cans are an option but you would probably have to use Fisherman's Canning (processing). I also have a long time friend that will take a hundred lbs. or so of my fish if there is enough. It's not hard to get rid of!

I usually limit my processing to about 200 - 300 lbs. depending on quantity of wahoo and yellowtail in the catch. That's about $150 - $225.

5. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    Thanks guys. I think the plan will be to ship the whole lot unless we get excessive. I have MANY friends out here looking forward to sushi Sundays for football and we plan to maybe can some and smoke the bellies etc. I guess I was curious the total poundages that people seem to be stacking up by there cones lol. I think I will be okay paying out 600 or so pounds as im guessing that would ship down around 200lbs for the freezer. Once im back the money will come out from friends and family im sure to help pay for shipping :D

If anyone out there lives in the Tucson area and wants some fish my brother will be driving his load back in a freezer on its back with ice and will im sure be open to barter or trade some meat in turn for help filleting. Hes too cheap to get his stuff processed and he will be canning much of his. With 4 hungry mouths to feed at home Im sure the kids are about toe be exposed to MANY tuna fish sandwiches lol

6. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    EDIT. Forgot to add into edition to sushi, smoked and canned....

...We also like to do tuna sammies, tuna melts, tuna casserole, tuna poke, seared ahi, bbq tuna burgers, tuna balls, tuna fish tacos....what else am I forgetting. Whos the Forest Gump of ways to serve tuna? :D

7. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    It can be substantial especially in long sustained bites where you lose track of what you are tagging.

This was my sons haul on a 6 day.

We donated all of it except for 6 fish. The 6 fish cost $150 to process.

Good luck on your trip...

Attached Files:

8. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    Now that's a haul! Hoping our trip goes that well.

9. Warlord

Warlord Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    You might consider working backwards. How much fish can you handle? And what species?

I personally don't keep many yellowtail and about 50 pounds of fillets net is plenty for me. That's maybe 120 pounds in the round. Some tuna may get traded for cans. I'll get some smoked. I have some friends that will pay the processing because I will not pay processing so I can give it away! (Except for rare occasions)

I've offered fish to friends who want to show at the dock. I'll call and tell you what you can have.

So if you have a good idea what you'll keep max, it's just a question of doing the math.

And Sarah and 5 Star ROCK!!!

Oh and to the guy that posted the picture of his son's fish, it has the appearance of overlimits and excess. There's really not much of a point to hauling back a bunch of fish because you can and giving them away. Reeks of a wasted resource! And Sarah and 5 Star really don't want to process fish for donations. They'll do some but too much costs them!

10. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    That's a good point. I Prefer Tuna to Yellow tail. However smoked yellowtail is pretty bomb. I do have a smoker and plan on running it every weekend for a while.

Curiosity on how Dorado affect your catch. Ive heard/read they count for more than 1 fish? Can somebody explain that better.

We have a guy going with us that isn't nearly as experienced a fisherman and my uncle asked if we can help him out. I figure on a 6 day nobody should need help by the end of the trip lol.

I only take one big trip a year and I try to fill the freezer to last the 365. Last two years it was Salmon. My brother and I both filled out King tags and had 8 adults each. Got 1 fillet left so that worked well. And year before My 2 friends and I got YFT in VENICE. I brought home a good 150lbs of fillets and ate every bit. Im very sad the say that they pretty much let theres rot away. We had a falling out from the trip so trying to get what they were letting go to waste didn't work out.

Lesson learned don't plan a trip with non experienced type A control freaks who don't know shit about fishing lol

11. Warlord

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    According to my limited knowledge: Mexican limits are up to ten fish daily with a max of 5 in one species. Three daily limits total. Dorado daily limit is 2 and will reduce your total to 7 fish max for the day. I generally won't keep a Dorado unless it's the last couple days. Smaller ones don't freeze that well, IMHO.

You can use your not so talented buddies tags to fill his limits and he'll appreciate it!

Everyone always says they'll eat that much fish, but ... Really never happens!

12. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    what is your thinking about the radiation poisoning from japan and its affects on fish. i have read recently a warning to stop consuming pacific ocean fishes as a result. what do you think?goooooooooing

13. Loudmusic

Loudmusic Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Fish From Shore
    You might want to remind your son about the limits in Mexican waters. While it is difficult to count in that picture he appears to have well over 30 fish.

14. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    I will tell you what reeks and that is your opinion. I tagged zero fish because all fish I hooked were given to my son to land. It was his HS grad present and I do not need to catch any fish. The fish off to the left of the pic were someone elses. The fish in his pile were less than a 2 person limit for a trip of that length. By donating it all of it will get used by people who could use it through St. Vincent De Paul, Meals on Wheels, the San Diego rescue mission and the San Diego food bank. Wasting would be leaving it in the freezer for a year and throwing it out before next years trip and I don't give a shit about what Sarah and Five Star wants. The processor I used was happy to accommodate the donation.

In summary, here is what you can do with your opinion. Follow the instructions...

Attached Files:

15. fishnfool73

fishnfool73 Newbie

Name:
    chris adams
    Boat:
    none
    I figure out what I will eat and take orders from friends. Once I catch roughly that I catch and release the majority of anything else. I see nothing wrong with trying to help sustain the fishery vs leaving stuff on the dock to be donated or sold off by whoever grabs it.

16. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Tell your bro I'll chip in $200.........

17. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    You throw a couple tons of tuna on top of some dodos
    the dodos don't fare so well.

JMHO,Mike

18. hotrail20

hotrail20 Intrepid 200 LB Club

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Yours
    Some of those pics are Overkill

19. Warlord

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Tim,

You weren't very clear in your original post. You could have said that it was your son's and your limit of fish. But you didn't say that!

Still, there's not much point in killing a bunch of fish just to give them away! I won't kill fish for a picture again! But you can go ahead if it makes you feel better.

20. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    Well thanks for the Drama.

I will address a few things mentioned. 1 I don't waste fish. EVER. 2 Not to worried about radiation. If Im going down then ill be joined by millions and if we have F'd up the ocean that bad then whats the point...Ill check in to the afterlife and see whats there to catch. 3. Why have so many threads lately turned into people tapping in with their stance as the only right way and they just try to steam roll people. Juvenile Yellowtail for example yet everyone eats Juvenile BFT without question.

The Bull shit gets old after a while and im glad im about to get away for 6 days without internet so I cant be tempted even to check into the cynister world we live it.

That's all I got.

Thanks for the positive remarks guys. Like ive mentioned in previous posts I worked a whole season long range on deck and learned a lot. But a lot has changed such as the technology in tackle and the processing aspect. Hopefully the Sardines genetics haven't changed and I should be okay on feeding myself family and friends for the next year and enjoying my 6 days back on my favorite place on earth.