Nuclieye

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2006
Arizona
Name
Bob
Boat
Water Missle
Should have left with a full load yesterday morning and according to its transponder its still at the dock this afternoon. Is she ok and somehow delayed?

Upvote 0

Catch Five

Jun 29, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Name
Mike
Boat
None
You are correct. Broken generator so my 8-day trip canceled. I was waiting years to jump on my first long-range trip, but it didn't happen. Bummer is an understatement. It's all booked up for next year as well so looks like I'm two years out again.

Upvote 0

King Halibut

BigBoy
Sep 11, 2008
Buena Park, Calif
Name
Dave
Boat
none
Wow Mike I'm sorry to hear you guys had your trip cancelled.
I'm booked on the trip right behind you leaving the 25th.
I heard about the boat being down yesterday while picking up some extra stuff @ Charkbait in HB.
Hope they get it fixed.

KH

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
You are correct. Broken generator so my 8-day trip canceled. I was waiting years to jump on my first long-range trip, but it didn't happen. Bummer is an understatement. It's all booked up for next year as well so looks like I'm two years out again.

Gee, sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately things do break unexpectedly. Can't the office see if another boat that has room. I know you've come a long way and even a 5 day trip would be worth it this year. Even try a couple of two day trips.

Don't wait two years, if the trip is full, find another one that works for you. All the LR boats do great work.

Good luck.

Reactions: Lake
Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none

I can't believe they didn't give the current passengers first shot for next year's trip. I'd like to fish the Excel but it has been booked for the times I have wanted to go. There are a lot of other boats out there that are very good. You could still hop on one this year, or for sure get on one next year.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I just looked up some of the schedules. There are a bunch of 10 day trips leaving this week. The Royal Star has a 5 day trip leaving Friday.

The Vagabond is going out today on a 10 day and the Polaris Supreme has a bunch of 1.5 day trips starting on Wed.

Ask the office to give the others a call, if you can work it into your schedule.

Good luck.

Reactions: vegasandre
Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Cant believe with the cost of building those boats and the capital involved to run and maintain them they dont have two gen sets.Tom

Upvote 0

Catch Five

Jun 29, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Name
Mike
Boat
None
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have to be back home Tuesday so those other trips aren't going to work out. I went on the First String for an overnight yesterday, but only a handful of small yellowfin and skippies to show for it. I wish there was a five or six day going out but no such luck. I'm just staying on the excel for this week so I have somewhere to stay. Hopefully everything gets fixed for anyone on the next trip, but last night their second generator quit too.

Reactions: Chris Penning
Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
"Cant believe with the cost of building those boats and the capital involved to run and maintain them they dont have two gen sets."

They do have two. That is why you don't leave the dock with just one working.

Upvote 0

CDN_eh

Jun 30, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Name
Stephen Ruiter
Boat
Not applicable
Should have left with a full load yesterday morning and according to its transponder its still at the dock this afternoon. Is she ok and somehow delayed?

Hi, can you tell us how you accessed the "Transponder" on the Excel, is it a website that you go to.

Thanks

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Hi, can you tell us how you accessed the "Transponder" on the Excel, is it a website that you go to.

Thanks
you can look at marinetraffic.com they have all the ship AIS reading so you can see where they are as long as their AIS is on :)

Stinks about that ten day trip stuck at the dock for sure.

LR Boats are bigger holes in the water that you keep throwing mucho money into. Amazing that they have as great of a track record as they do. We are lucky we have these boats and trips. I am sure it is no where as lucrative(if at all) as it was in yesteryear.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    We are spoiled with the food, service and safety that the Long Range fleet provides. Repairs are part of the game and well it should be for an inconvenience on occasion. There are always options to choose.

Last edited:
    Reactions: fishstomp and XL1
    Upvote 0

sierraed

Long rods and big boats
    Oct 10, 2011
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Royal Polaris and Intrepid

Sorry to hear about your trip and I'm sure the only people more bummed out than you is the Excel crew. They work hard all year to keep the boat maintained and in shape. About next year, just have Jason put you on the wait list. I'll bet you get your chance in 2016 as spots open up all the time.

Reactions: XL1
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    OMG another premier LR boat had a mechanical breakdown and had to cancel their trip... go figure! And some here thought it was only the Intrepid that did that? Just goes to show ya that shit really does happen and no LR boat is immune to major mechanical breakdowns... the salty H20 is pretty nasty stuff and when you operate in it as much as the LR fleet does it going to eventually take its toll no matter what. Really sucks for the anglers whose trip got X'd but what can you do other than reschedule (its part of the game, and luckily for all it does not happen all that often)... hopefully there are other trips that work for the anglers involved personal schedules.

Reactions: Fishybuzz and dh515
    Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    anybody on the excel trip that was canceled end up with extra lead that they know wasn't theirs? would like to see it returned catch five will have to pay for it when taking gear off boat was removed from cart sorry for all for the cancelation

Upvote 0

peshooter

Waterman
    Sep 22, 2008
    Fountain Valley
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    33 Blackfin- Never Again II
    anybody on the excel trip that was canceled end up with extra lead that they know wasn't theirs? would like to see it returned catch five will have to pay for it when taking gear off boat was removed from cart sorry for all for the cancelation
    Wha?????

Upvote 0

fighingrjo

paid my taxes
    Nov 29, 2005
    sandy eggo
    Name
    ryan
    Boat
    marine traffic is pretty cool. i found the royal polaris, and the excel, but no others from the long range fleet. is the transponder not on all of the sport boats, or is it just not on most of the time?

Upvote 0