Whats the weirdest/strangest thing that's happened to you while fishing in Socal/Mexico?

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
I'll start, we were heading out to cat on a buddies 21ft Striper; once we hit the 150 area, we saw what looked like a mountain in the middle of the ocean. No boats around no nothing, so we start to roll up on it slowly and its a big dead whale with big 3-4ft gaps. Just then, we saw swarms of mako's come up and roll over to the wale in squads of three and chew on it piece by piece. I mean you would've thought we were fishing guadalupe of how national geographic this was. Then out of the blue, my buddies hanging over the rail holding onto his hard top and he goes ghost white. A great white bigger than the boat came out of nowhere and started to move onto the whale. This shark's tail was passed the IO and head was passed the bow a little ways... I mean talk about Nat Geo..

Jul 1, 2015
Orange County, CA
Name
Amando
Boat
Boston whaler
A few years ago I was fishing off the jetty in Dana point, CA. There was a lot of great whites in the water this year... I was about halfway out out on the rocks fishing on the ocean side. I saw a couple stand up paddle boarding out in front of me. The boyfriend was passing by paddling fast ahead of his girlfriend. This is where things get sketchy... the boyfriend is now pretty far from the girl and when I look at the girl I notice that something is trailing behind her! I noticed a tail, at first glance I thought it was dolphin. Boy was I wrong...This thing must have swam out in front of her and made a sharp u turn towards her I looked down at the water and I clearly saw a 11-13 foot great white shark swimming at full speed towards her. It jumped out of the water and tried to grab her off the board!!! The shark missed her by inches.

Last edited:

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
A few years ago I was fishing off the jetty in Dana point, CA. There was a lot of great whites in the water this year... I was about halfway out out on the rocks fishing on the ocean side. I saw a couple stand up paddle boarding out in front of me. The boyfriend was passing by paddling fast ahead of his girlfriend. This is where things get sketchy... the boyfriend is now pretty far from the girl and when I look at the girl I notice that something is trailing behind her! I noticed a tail, at first glance I thought it was dolphin. Boy was I wrong...This thing must have swam out in front of her and made a sharp u turn towards her I looked down at the water and I clearly saw a 11-13 foot great white shark swimming at full speed towards her. It jumped out of the water and tried to grab her off the board!!! I shark missed her by inches.
Kinda reminds me of Catalina a few years back, girl was paddling on a board near shore on the back end, I was on trolling motor, and about 5-6 other boats were all on anchor. I look over, then I turn away and next thing I hear is a scream and shes flying.. I guess a white came up and hit her so hard she flew in the air. What scared the shark away was when she landed she must’ve landed on the shark and that impact scared it away.

Jul 1, 2015
Orange County, CA
Name
Amando
Boat
Boston whaler
Kinda reminds me of Catalina a few years back, girl was paddling on a board near shore on the back end, I was on trolling motor, and about 5-6 other boats were all on anchor. I look over, then I turn away and next thing I hear is a scream and shes flying.. I guess a white came up and hit her so hard she flew in the air. What scared the shark away was when she landed she must’ve landed on the shark and that impact scared it away.

Crazy stuff man!

Reactions: Tugboat64

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
out past the 390 nobody around and I found a fresh dead cow floating in the water. No blood, no injuries no rigor mortis at all like it had just died 2 minutes prior. Should have gaffed it.

No shit, that was what, about 8 years ago? We were out there and saw the same exact thing.

I've had this same discussion on a few long range boat trips (plenty of time for story telling) and whenever I tell guys about the dead cow story, they always call bullshit.

One thing I definetly remember, after we realized what it was we were looking at, we hauled ass from the area - gotta' be bad luck...

Reactions: kbray001 and Tom123

stanky1

Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
About 20 years ago. On a buddies boat about a half mile south of Dana Point. dead guy floating in nothing but some BVDs. Bloated and pale, had been afloat for a while it seemed. Called the powers that be and took off once they arrived.

Gross as you might imagine...
Did you fish it until the police showed up?

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
Mine was about 2007 or earlier but we felt the same way since nobody was around. I've been telling the story as well and an old Commercial captain told me that some commercial ships from other countries would load a few cattle/sheep/goat/ etc on ships and kill them as needed for food. He suspected "Cow overboard"!

perchkiller

Jul 19, 2016
cali
Name
Harryfundio
Boat
yours
20 or so years ago aboard the Advance out of oceanside, Fishing offshore really nice day out captain on the P.A "WTF" we look up a MASSIVE water spout like 100 yards away. He full throttled it a couple passengers fell got a little banged up. Pretty scare shit to see with no land in site!!!

Reactions: Noah & Scoot

BornFisher

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 17, 2003
Encinitas (Olivenhain)
Visit site
Name
Bill Fisher
Boat
18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
About the cow--- I think it was 1980 or so San Diego got hit with an atmospheric river that wouldn`t stop. Hodges overflowed for the first time in decades. The overflow was 6 feet deep and enough water flowed over the dam that could fill the lake in 24 hours. There was a herd of cows between the dam and the ocean. There were dead cows and rattlesnakes on the beach in Del Mar and I`m sure out to sea.

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Several years ago on the Supreme we were achored up for the night at El Banko (Cleophus bank?) off P.V. It got super windy blowing offshore. When we got up the boat was covered with crickets, thousands of them. Like 40 miles offshore, so many they had to wash them off with the deck hose.

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
All my "strange at sea" stories are from up north. Like almost getting hit by a guy jumping off the Golden Gate bridge.

But since the questions is "So Cal" related, I guess the strangest thing (not in the "sea creature category though) was....on a 10 day LR trip on a "well known" boat.....the sponsor rep from a very well-known tackle company.....just went beserk. 600 miles from San Diego....this person was ranting, screaming political BS to anyone who was within earshot. Totally unprovoked. Suffice to say, I will never go on a trip that is "sponsored" by that company.