matrixx611

Is it Friday yet??
Feb 7, 2007
Inland Empire, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
This question has probably have been asked before, but am asking again :). I will be on an 8 Day trip off the RRIII. Hot/humid in the 80s, or pretty cool in the mid 70s?

Wendell Fox

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
Last year on the RR3 7 day in Oct the weather was hot humid and ocean was flat. Pretty much perfect weather the whole trip. Did the Rocks Ridge Cedros etc.

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
Usually very nice but hot that time of year. The big wild card is the weather from the south. I was down there in early Oct. a few years ago when up came the largest hurricane ever recorded in the Eastern Pacific, a cat. 5 Boy did that screw up fishing!

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Hot and humid most of the time. Shorts and t-shirts

capjimy

Apr 28, 2007
El Granada, ca.
Name
Jim Kokesh
Boat
24 ft. farallon, Reel Sport
l'm thinking it should be nice and the fishing this season has been spectacular. Hope the hoo stay at the rocks, been lots of tuna, yt , doo doo's on the recent trips, for safty sake bring a rain coat, ya just never know. Lots o luck!!!!

kahuna bass

Sep 24, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Mel
Boat
Vagabond & Excel
Its a hit and miss. I was on a ten day trip last year, we fished the Rocks for 1/2 day and we had to run back up north due to a storm, which was heading our way. Ridge was exceptionally warm, water was in the high 80's, not the best conditions.

Every year is different. I have a ten day trip at the end of this month, can't wait, hope for great fishing and calm seas!

Mel - Kahuna bass

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I have a 10 day booked on the Excel starting Sept 28 of next year. Will we go to these same spots? I'm anxious to see what yawl are calling the ridge, rocks, and cedros. how deep is the water in the places. Just curious. I've fished in 8000 feet of water off the coast of Texas at the Perdido oil rig.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Well if your anchored up then, the water cant be that deep. 200-400' I'm guessing. Must be nice to anchor up 50 miles from shore to catch tuna. We have to travel 130-150 miles in the GOM to get to the tuna grounds off the Texas coast.

Loudmusic

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 15, 2011
Phoenix, Az USA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Fish From Shore
I have a 10 day booked on the Excel starting Sept 28 of next year. Will we go to these same spots? I'm anxious to see what yawl are calling the ridge, rocks, and cedros. how deep is the water in the places. Just curious. I've fished in 8000 feet of water off the coast of Texas at the Perdido oil rig.
The Ridge is just what it says, a long ridge under the water. If you look on google earth you can clearly see it off the coast of Baja. A great place for variety fishing. Yellowtail, tuna, giant sea bass, grouper, red snapper, gold spot sandbass, etc. can all be caught at the same spots.

The Rocks (Alijos Rocks) is the very top of a giant volcano that goes thousands of feet below the sea surface. Only the top 100' or so are above water. An odd spot where both temperate and tropical species live together. Yellowtail, tuna, wahoo, grouper, crosshatch triggers, Mexican hogfish, sheepshead, rudder fish, etc.

Cedros is a just desert island about 20 miles off of baja that just happens to be loaded up with nice yellowtail and calicos, huge whitefish, rockfish, etc.

garety

wishin i was fishin
Feb 23, 2012
Red Bluff
Name
garet
Boat
t15
I went on a 8 day there last October, weather was nice and warm tshirt and shorts weather, except for when hurricane paul came by, bring a one pair of pants, long sleeve shirt and a rain jacket, just to be safe, they are good to if you attempt any night time fishing

Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
Last I heard (Sept. 17th) 6 or so LR boats were out in 20-25 knot winds at Cedros trying to stay away from the weather offshore. So, like the other guys are saying, you never know...be prepared for all types of weather and seasonal hurricanes.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
I predict water and sun and lots of it!

Hat/Sunscreen and sunglasses (with tethers so they don't go swimming) and a back-up of all 3 are more important than fishing gear (the boat can still supply you with anything you need to fish while on the water).

Have a great time. :)

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I feel like the OP got his question answered. I dont want him to feel like i'm hijacking his thread. "Rain gear is handy when making squid for bait". Dont understand. I have only saw one squid caught in the GOM. It was about a foot and a half long. I think the guy was going to eat the nasty bastard. Will we use sabiki rigs to catch them or what?

free_gaff

Jul 18, 2003
N. Cal
Visit site
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
any LR
squid start spitting water when they are swung over the rail...and you walk them back to the bait tank still attached to the squid jig...gets wet real quick.

mattyd102477

Jul 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Matt
Boat
None
Catching any bait, it's nice to have a rain suit. Doesn't matter long range sabiki or throwing a cast net in Florida for mullet. Keeps the "bait" off of you, especially nice if you just eaten a good dinner, taken a hot shower, and getting ready to hit the bunk. Throw the rain gear on so you're not marinating in squid ink all night long. Strip it off and hang it on the hook or engine room to dry off.