What's the ideal hook setup for flatfall jigs?

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I posted this in the long range forum and they suggested to post it here instead.

Since the bluefin are taking flatfalls quite regularly, I'd like to rerig them with better hooks. I've rigged some with large j-hooks on the back, but that means I need to use really heavy leader for abrasion resistance. I know I could rig a circle off of the front of the lure with a solid/split ring connection to the lure, but since the tuna are inhaling the lure, what about rigging the flatfalls like fishing trolled baits for Marlin with circle hooks? Namely, tying the circle hook to the end of the line and then tying the lure, with spectra, to the bend in the hook. Question is how far to the lure to make sure the circle works correctly? Also, is there an optimum way or material to tie the lure to the hook? Other variants include tying the circle to the end of the lure with assist cord or heavy spectra. I haven't seen any rigged this way, but it seems like it should work and provide less chance for being chewed off. My only concern is sometimes the fish bite on the retrieve too, but tuna tend to turn as soon as they hit a bait/lure, so maybe that won't be a problem either. Any suggestions would be great.

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Post #34 and then there is a discussion about circle hooks starting with post #46 in that thread.

Personally, I think a circle hook connected to the jig is going to change the way the circle hook was intended to be used. If the fish has inhaled the jig and you're pulling it out of its mouth, the first thing coming out is the jig, which is going to pivot around the corner of its mouth and throw the hook towards the middle of its mouth where it will miss catching in the jaw and come flying out. At least that's what I picture happening when rigged like the photo in post #34. That's a completely different action than a circle hook with bait where it's the hook that does the pivoting around the corner of its mouth. Maybe rigged as assist hooks on the front ring they would do ok.

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Post #34 and then there is a discussion about circle hooks starting with post #46 in that thread.

Personally, I think a circle hook connected to the jig is going to change the way the circle hook was intended to be used. If the fish has inhaled the jig and you're pulling it out of its mouth, the first thing coming out is the jig, which is going to pivot around the corner of its mouth and throw the hook towards the middle of its mouth where it will miss catching in the jaw and come flying out. At least that's what I picture happening when rigged like the photo in post #34. That's a completely different action than a circle hook with bait where it's the hook that does the pivoting around the corner of its mouth. Maybe rigged as assist hooks on the front ring they would do ok.
Exactly! Which is why marlin rigged might work as the circle hook is ahead of the jig.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Here you go ....
This setup will:
1- Increase hook up ratio
2- prevent line twist
3- get more hookups on the retrieve
4- less casualties
5- no retying when changing lures ( you will need good split ring pliers)
6-works with all butterfly jigs

Ultimate Flat Fall /Butterfly Jig Rigging for Larger Tuna:
Ditch the stock Hooks as they suck!

replace with single Owner Monster assist hook 7/0-10/0 and owner 10 split ring and quick rigs sea buoy welded swivel for easy lure changes without retying... attach to 6-10 ft fluoro leader 100-130 lb test = more bites (especially on the retrieve and less casualties)

flat fall 2.png

flat fall.png

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
All metal connection with swivels to reduce twist.

View attachment 840751
I saw an article from back east once where the guy was putting circle hooks on the bottom of various iron jigs. He swore by using a swivel so that the circle hook could rotate to do its job.

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
What do you guys think about these setups?

I used owner split rings and 5/0 inline hooks on both the flat falls and the snipers.

IMG_9046.JPG

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
I have used those hooks on coltsnipers with great success. They hold tuna better than the trebles. Still does not work like a circle though.
Thanks. Glad they have worked for you. I'm going to be giving them a workout next weekend on a two day.

I might go pick up another pack of hooks and do a few more just in case.

Chrisben

Sep 6, 2009
Las Vegas
Name
chris
Boat
none
Aaro, you really should post a picture of the setup you used on the trip on this thread! It was Great!
Chris

FishAcquisition

Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
All the talk about marlin rigging and no pics, anybody got Pics of that set up?
Post somewhere here where a BD'er went 4 for 4 on Big BFT with this set up.

I talked with a guy that was on the New Lo Ann and saw dozens chewed off on the Flat Fall, he was going 250# wire. Said they get gut hooked and the. Chew off. That is the reasoning for the 13/0 circle hook.

IMG_2679.PNG

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
Post somewhere here where a BD'er went 4 for 4 on Big BFT with this set up.

I talked with a guy that was on the New Lo Ann and saw dozens chewed off on the Flat Fall, he was going 250# wire. Said they get gut hooked and the. Chew off. That is the reasoning for the 13/0 circle hook.

View attachment 850573
Thanks, I had a feeling it was something like this, I didn't know there was a length of braid attaching the hook to the jig.
What test is that? Any other details would be helpful.
Thanks

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Here are a couple of setups for slow-pitch flatfall style jigs. Big circle hook (8/0 on 500lb kevlar) straight to Figure 8 ring for the big boys, direct pull to the corner of the mouth. Never had a problem with twisting, so no swivel necessary.

Smaller jigs always tied butterfly style, line to the ring.

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 8.25.29 AM.png

Reactions: jeffreykooken

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Here are a couple of setups for slow-pitch flatfall style jigs. Big circle hook (8/0 on 500lb kevlar) straight to Figure 8 ring for the big boys, direct pull to the corner of the mouth. Never had a problem with twisting, so no swivel necessary.

Smaller jigs always tied butterfly style, line to the ring.

View attachment 852735
Are you making your own assist rigs? If so would you mind sharing what brand of kevlar line you are using and where you are getting it from?

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
There's no "right" or "wrong" way to rig flat falls...

Marco and Andre posted pictures of how the guys that INVENTED slow pitch jigging typically rig their lures. The idea is to tie the main line directly to the assist hook through a solid ring, with the jig hanging as unencumbered as possible to allow it to flutter freely on the drop. When fighting the fish, the jig is not even in the connection path...

That said, AND if you're going with the real shimano brand jigs (which are probably less likely to break in two than the knockoffs - seen it happen), a heavy fluoro leader and solid ring tail hook like Steve illustrated at Island Tackle is also going to be a very strong connection method...