What's the deal with Pigeons?

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
I was in the IV for the dove opener, and there was a handout in the hotel lobby with a map of the DFW fields and a summary of regulations. It said it is illegal to shoot rock doves (pigeons), ground doves, and Inca doves. I can't find anything in the regulations about shooting pigeons/rock doves. I avoided shooting them so I wouldn't get cited, but other guys were blasting them by the dozens. Does anyone know anything definitive?

Kevin

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
This year they were classified as a non-game bird and as a result it is illegal to shoot them. It used to be no season no limit but not anymore. Hopefully its changed back to the way it was. Last year section A below listed the Rock Dove as a species with no season and no limit. This year they were removed from that group.

§472. General Provisions.
Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.
  • (a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).
  • (b) Fallow, sambar, sika, and axis deer may be taken only concurrently with the general deer season.
  • (c) Aoudad, mouflon, tahr, and feral goats may be taken all year.
  • (d) American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos) may be taken only under the provisions of Section 485 and by landowners or tenants, or by persons authorized in writing by such landowners or tenants, when American crows are committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. Persons authorized by landowners or tenants to take American crows shall keep such written authorization in their possession when taking, transporting or possessing American crows. American crows may be taken only on the lands where depredations are occurring or where they constitute a health hazard or nuisance. If required by Federal regulations, landowners or tenants shall obtain a Federal migratory bird depredation permit before taking any American crows or authorizing any other person to take them.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Whoa. It used to be 25 per person per day year round. When did this change sneak in I wonder?

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
This year they were classified as a non-game bird and as a result it is illegal to shoot them. It used to be no season no limit but not anymore. Hopefully its changed back to the way it was. Last year section A below listed the Rock Dove as a species with no season and no limit. This year they were removed from that group.

Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.
  • (a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).
  • (b) Fallow, sambar, sika, and axis deer may be taken only concurrently with the general deer season.
  • (d) American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos) may be taken only under the provisions of Section 485 and by landowners or tenants, or by persons authorized in writing by such landowners or tenants, when American crows are committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. Persons authorized by landowners or tenants to take American crows shall keep such written authorization in their possession when taking, transporting or possessing American crows. American crows may be taken only on the lands where depredations are occurring or where they constitute a health hazard or nuisance. If required by Federal regulations, landowners or tenants shall obtain a Federal migratory bird depredation permit before taking any American crows or authorizing any other person to take them.

Thanks Tim. How did you learn about the change? I don't believe it was listed in the "Summary Of Changes" for dove season. DFW could've written a lot of tickets in the area I was hunting, but I wonder if they're enforcing the new rule.

Kevin

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Someone told me that I could not shoot them on the dove opener so I looked it up. Couple of guys confirmed with a warden. It was recommended that they be included in the section A allowing them to be hunted back in April but apparently it did not get changed. Hopefully next year. Dairy farmers hate those things....

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
  • Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    We had 2 yesterday when we were checked and he said nothing about them...real nice guy too.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    For real? No winged rats?

Upvote 0

Eagle Peak

Nov 14, 2010
    Carlsbad/CA/USA
    Name
    Tim
    DFW Lt. King in Imperial County was able to get the language prohibiting the taking of rock dove deleted. He is also the guy largely responsible for year-round Eurasians. He likes to drink Silver Patron should you ever run into him in your travels...

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    17' Whaler
    DFW Lt. King in Imperial County was able to get the language prohibiting the taking of rock dove deleted. He is also the guy largely responsible for year-round Eurasians. He likes to drink Silver Patron should you ever run into him in your travels...

Which section contains the new reference to rock doves? I want it in my pocket when I get checked.

Upvote 0

Eagle Peak

Nov 14, 2010
    Carlsbad/CA/USA
    Name
    Tim
    From the lips of Carrie Wilson:

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/category/regulations-2/fish-and-game-code/

Shooting barnyard pigeons?
    Question: What is the law when it comes to shooting common or barnyard pigeons? After discussing this with a number of friends and hunters, no one seems to have a definitive answer. Can you help? (Jeff S.)

Answer: Barnyard pigeons or “rock doves” are the feral progeny of domesticated pigeons, and their take is not regulated by the Fish and Game Code. While there is no limit for barnyard pigeons, don’t confuse them with bandtail pigeons or racing pigeons. If someone hunting barnyard pigeons outside the bandtail pigeon season accidentally kills a registered racing pigeon, they could be in trouble and cited with a misdemeanor (Fish and Game Code, section 3680). The chance of this happening is very low though.

@garlicsalt: He may be the MAN, but he is not one of the PRICKS.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    17' Whaler
    From the lips of Carrie Wilson:

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/category/regulations-2/fish-and-game-code/

Shooting barnyard pigeons?
    Question
    : What is the law when it comes to shooting common or barnyard pigeons? After discussing this with a number of friends and hunters, no one seems to have a definitive answer. Can you help? (Jeff S.)

Answer: Barnyard pigeons or “rock doves” are the feral progeny of domesticated pigeons, and their take is not regulated by the Fish and Game Code. While there is no limit for barnyard pigeons, don’t confuse them with bandtail pigeons or racing pigeons. If someone hunting barnyard pigeons outside the bandtail pigeon season accidentally kills a registered racing pigeon, they could be in trouble and cited with a misdemeanor (Fish and Game Code, section 3680). The chance of this happening is very low though.

@garlicsalt: He may be the MAN, but he is not one of the PRICKS.
    Well that is clear as mud. We have gone from wardens in the field confirming you can't shoot them to Carrie Wilson saying blast away. DFW is so inept sometimes.

Reactions: Eagle Peak
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Thanks man. Hit me up if you want to shoot something. Cesar is wussin out :rofl:

Reactions: Eagle Peak
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Which section contains the new reference to rock doves? I want it in my pocket when I get checked.

Like Carrie Wilson pointed out

Section 3680 of the Fish & Game Code Spells it out clearly

I couldn't find any mention of Rock Doves in any of the regulations

Upvote 0