What's the deal on legally bottom fishing in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Oregon Fishing Reports' started by grahams98, Feb 7, 2018.

1. grahams98

grahams98 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    I read the regs and thought I had the skinny but I see people posting reports what look to be shallow water bottom fishing. I thought it that was closed until April 1?

BTW: I saw the reports on ifish...kinda hate the format of that site.

2. DuckFan

DuckFan Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    20' North River
    Near shore bottom fishing opened again the first of the year with new limits to try and keep the fishery open year around. The long leader fishery is the one you need to watch the dates.

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    30 Rampage "Playin Hooky"
    Its exactly the opposite of what you are thinking... kinda.... We had it easy for a long time, but preservation efforts have made it more confusing. I would study up the regs a bit more and look on line occasionally for in season changes.

There are date restrictions on cabazon retention, the lincod have an all depth season in the spring, but the rest of the time they are inside (shallow areas) for retention. The Generally bottom fishing areas are all shallow water with a few restrictions in preservation areas where there is no retention inside 20 fathoms (120’).

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. No Bail

No Bail Member

Name:
    Randy Kane
    Boat:
    2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
    I would only add that you should download the waypoints for the restriction depths and put a route or other line on your chart plotter. The regs run off the waypoints, not necessarily the exact depth you are fishing.

I wish ODFW would print the saltwater regs in a smaller book. They used to have that available but I've not seen it in some time. I download the regs to the phone so I have a complete copy, but you need to check weekly for changes.

Randy

G-Spot likes this.
  5. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Bottom fishing opened Jan. 1 inside 30 fathoms. The lingcod regs remained the same: 2 fish at least 22 inches in length. The rockfish limit has changed: from seven to five, but now there are no sub-limits for rockfish species.. Any five rockfish, except yelloweye which must be released. Cabezon open on July 1, count as a rockfish, and there is a daily limit of one. There's also a size limit for cabezon----I'm drawing a blank right now; it's either 15 or 16 inches---check before you fish.

6. grahams98

grahams98 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I will note what you're saying and study the regs.

7. grahams98

grahams98 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    It hasn't really been an issue to this point as the weather has been snotty and I run a smaller boat. Looking forward to some good weather and calm seas.