Whats the best salmon rod for bead fishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkman530

May 6, 2008
Fort Bragg
Name
Big Joe
Boat
19ft arima sea ranger
Hello all and thank you for any suggestions. I am looking for another salmon/steelhead rod, 10ft long or longer, and wondering what every body thinks is the best. I currently fish a 9ft str 1084c imx g loomis, matched with a curado 300e. I am going to switch reels this year and match it with the new curado 200I probably the higher gear ratio one, it's like 7.1 to 1. I know it's a steelhead rod, but I like to fish light tackle, 10lb test, and don't mind taking a while to land fish. I love this set up, but a saw a few longer rods last year that had awesome action, but I didn't get the makes. I'm willing to spend the money for something nice, 400 or so. I will be matching the new rod with the curado 300c. Thanks again for any input

Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
I assume you are fishing Nimbus damn and down stream? I think you current set up is beyond enough for what you are doing. Are you only drifting beads or do you fish live bait and throw spinners. Are you targeting the salmon or steelhead as well? Multiple answers to your question.

Upvote 0

sharkman530

May 6, 2008
Fort Bragg
Name
Big Joe
Boat
19ft arima sea ranger
I fish the feather river from the outlet down, and the American from sailors bar down. I used to fish the feather for springers back when it used to be open before July. I used to pitch spinners, but haven't done much since then. So I bead fish, and when available I throw roe. I have other rods for fishing off a boat, so this would almost be just a salmon set up. Just hoping to find something longer and beefier than what I have.

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
what don't you like about your current set up. The Feather is bound to be pretty skinny this year, especially the way they screw up timely Damn releases. I have a Okuma SST 10'6" that I like But have yet to pull on anything really huge to pass on a buy rating to someone. Loomis makes a 11'4" mooching rod Model# SAR1363C GL2 that looks good but too much money for my too few trips up there,,,gregg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
I just got done using the anal beads on your mom, now pipe down. 40lb fish on 10lb mono is about the least gay thing I can think of.

If you can catch a 40lb fish on 10lb mono it's because it's almost dead, was a weak ass fish to begin with, and on top of all that it makes it thuuuuupppper gaaaaaaay:gay::gay::gay::supergay::supergay:

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Seriously though, why would you want to catch a fish that's dying in a river that tastes like crap. Kind of asinine if you ask me. Almost as stupid as fishing for stocked trout.

Upvote 0

sharkman530

May 6, 2008
Fort Bragg
Name
Big Joe
Boat
19ft arima sea ranger
True, by the time they are spent, it is dumb to fish for them. If I have to explain the thrill of catching a 40lb chromer on 10lb from the bank, you should be on another website like pinterest or something. Just because you can't do it, doesn't make it not fun.

Reactions: dalluge
Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
^are you speaking from experience (not likely), or just the type to question what anyone does differently from yourself? The man was asking a question. Why not offer a productive response.

Not meant for you sharkman530. For the above poster

Reactions: dalluge
Upvote 0

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
What happened there on the Feather ? We use to kill it launching from Oro Dam Blvd , bouncing Mega Baits. Who gives a shit if they're dying, still a blast to catch . We used 12 lb. Hey homofag, If you haven't fished em then STFU !!

Upvote 0

sharkman530

May 6, 2008
Fort Bragg
Name
Big Joe
Boat
19ft arima sea ranger
Thanks cabo and vibora, some people just don't get it. The feather is still good, but unfortunately they closed up river of the outlet.

what don't you like about your current set up. The Feather is bound to be pretty skinny this year, especially the way they screw up timely Damn releases. I have a Okuma SST 10'6" that I like But have yet to pull on anything really huge to pass on a buy rating to someone. Loomis makes a 11'4" mooching rod Model# SAR1363C GL2 that looks good but too much money for my too few trips up there,,,gregg

I love my set up that I fish right now. I am just hoping to find another beefier setup that I will enjoy as much as I do this one. Some places I would like to have more torque, so something with a heavier line rating like the 1363 would be better. That does look like a sweet rod. If they made the STR 1265 c in the imx, that would would be the one. I have fished the gl2 and the imx, it's a world of difference! The okuma sst looks like a sweet rod for the price. After some more research it looks like the str 1265 gl2 is my best bet for now. Man I wish they made that in the imx. Thanks for the responses and the help, hope to see u on the river sometime.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
^are you speaking from experience (not likely), or just the type to question what anyone does differently from yourself? The man was asking a question. Why not offer a productive response.

Not meant for you sharkman530. For the above poster

I'm speaking from experience. Salmon are gay......

Upvote 0

BENNETT

Admiral Muddy Waters
Sep 11, 2009
Insane Empire 909
Name
Mike
Boat
18 foot Parker "Work Boat"
I love fishing the Feather and have met some great guys in Oroville. I like the Okuma T-40X rods for the bead. Was supposed to be headed up there in a couple hours but we pushed the trip back due to lack of fish. I have caught them in the blowout with sea lice on them. Nice and chrome.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts