What's the best braid going for a Makaira 15t.

karlk1125

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
Have a 15t on the way and looking to spool it with 80lb braid. What are the best options to look into?

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
However you want to spool it. No best braid to spool. Every braid out there has it own diameter and strands to it. Look for ever fits your need.

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
your 15t is going to be your 50-60 reel, yes it could probably fish up to 80 if you had to, it's a beast, that being said, I run 65 jb solid on mine with a 40-50 top shot,'great Lupe reel" you could run hollow, and guys run the hollow to splice mono or floro into it. I just like the way solid fishes, so it's really your preference, i'm switching some of my smaller reels over to Berkley pro-spec it's thinner diameter and I'm seeing good results, there are a lot of good braids now and lots of choices

kimbo

Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Batman
Boat
21' cabo
I have about 400 yards of 80# power pro on mine goes right up to the top. Debating on switching to 60# threadlock or 80# prospec to get a little more capacity. Will be fishing 60# short topshots. Any suggestions?

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
If it’s capacity you want, 50# Threadlock is actually stronger than the 60#. ABS of 60# is in the low eighties and 50# is usually right around ninety or a little more depending on the spool. The 50# is thinner too, it’s not mislabeled 80#. I’ve tested quite a bit of it, very consistent line from spool to spool. I really like Prospec also, but for what you’re wanting, I’d go Threadlock.

Reactions: Jjt03

Jigster_Josh11

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 28, 2019
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
N/A
If it’s capacity you want, 50# Threadlock is actually stronger than the 60#. ABS of 60# is in the low eighties and 50# is usually right around ninety or a little more depending on the spool. The 50# is thinner too, it’s not mislabeled 80#. I’ve tested quite a bit of it, very consistent line from spool to spool. I really like Prospec also, but for what you’re wanting, I’d go Threadlock.
How is the 50 stronger than the 60?

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
How is the 50 stronger than the 60?
The material used in that particular line is stronger. The line rating on a spool of spectra should be used as a guideline only, many times it’s wildly inaccurate.
Too many people see all braid as the same, but the truth is that it varies wildly.
Honeywell, the manufacturer of the Spectra material, lists material that ranges in UTS from 2.4 to 3.6. A manufacturer can chose material from anywhere in that range to manufacture a finished line.