What's on your phone?

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I just recently stepped outta the stone age when one of my dear children created a puddle of fruit juice around my 7 year old candybar phone. So I got an Android smartphone. So far I have:

Navionics free version: cheap charting for local forays on the Avon
    Google Earth: for spotting underwater bumps, local forays
    United States Coast Guard APP: extra measure of safety when within coverage

I'm still interested in a tide or weather app, maybe a fishfinder app with bluetooth transducer,
    and anything else fishing or "boating while fishing" related.

I'm not in this to snag some sporties' fishing spots, or to Insta-kook while ninja bass fishing.

What's on your phone?

Reactions: Bigfishhateme
    Upvote 0

GOFAST88

WORKHARD-FISHHARD
    Sep 8, 2012
    Murrieta
    Name
    Tyler
    Boat
    14' Livingston
    1st of all i'm proud of you! It's taken 2 years for my mom to upload pics to facebook via Iphone (she would email herself the photos, to download from her computer). Fishdope app, terrafin app. cost $ but well worth it. Fishweather app. NOAA App. all kinds of surf apps. I like fishcounts its a free sportboat count app. many more to choose from! including the podcast app. Lets talk hook up archives, and plenty more fishing shows! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Nice, Bob. Does the "Byte meter" actually work for you? Granted, it's pretty correct right now.

I like the maps.

I don't put much faith into the meter, but I like to use it for quick reference to the conditions. However, if it says it sucks... I do notice that! Haha

I like that it gives a tide chart too.

Upvote 0

Drk20

Fishoholic
    Mar 10, 2014
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    19' SeaSquirt CC
    Fish Alerts is a really good app, highly suggest you get it. It has all the MLPA zones and the map and it also tracks where you are. so at any moment you can check it and see how close to the MLPA you are. It also tells you what the rules of each of the MLPA are. easy to use and keep you from getting a ticket.

Upvote 0

FlotillaKilla

Sep 11, 2011
    OC CA USA
    Name
    Nunyabiz
    Boat
    Maybe One Day
    Also look at Gas Buddy

An app for pricing gas and fuel - You can see what gas stations are close and what the posted price is
    One block away and 60c cheaper adds up quickly when filling a truck and boat combo

Reactions: bman440440
    Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    on-the-water weather reports? I always had a marine radio on the boat tuned to the weather channel.... and eyeballs
    fuel prices? If I'm 200 miles from home, I'm not worried about saving a couple of dollars in refueling my truck vs the higher cost of a new phone that wont fit in my pocket vs needing GPS to find my way to an out-of-town gas station.

I have voice mail and minimal texting. Everything else can wait until I get home......

NOAA but specifically for San Diego.

u missed yoar punc-shoe-a-tion in thair, sur :D

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
  • Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Yeah Baybee!
    Fishweather! I think it's great, and it's free. Subscribed to Buoyweather but I like the Fishweather chart forecast chart better and accuracy is very similar to Buoyweather.
    Also have FishAlerts, which is good for finding the protected areas.
    Have the $10 Navionics boating app as well, which I find very useful when I'm not in front of the main monitors or I want a quick distance estimate and don't want to fiddle with the main GPS.

Reactions: dave_k
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Also look at Gas Buddy

An app for pricing gas and fuel - You can see what gas stations are close and what the posted price is
    One block away and 60c cheaper adds up quickly when filling a truck and boat combo

I've got the same thing as a bookmarked webpage, but I should put it on the phone too.

AND, for those of you decrying the HIGH cost of a smartphone...
    Motorola Moto E (xt830c) for Tracfone from Amazon : $50
    Approximate monthly charges for my level of use: $25

Specs at link:
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFMTXT830C&locale=en_US&popup=true

It has already proved its use as a fill in for electronics my inflatable doesn't support, provided I'm in range. It is kept in a dry box at any moment it is not in use.
    Common sense fills in the rest of the time.

ANYONE found any Marine VHF Scanner apps that work? Maybe phones are not capable of those frequencies?

-Mike

Upvote 0

rodngun762

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 12, 2005
    Name
    Boat
    Sailflow (pro) for wind forecasts and observations
    Marine Traffic for real time AIS ship traffic

Upvote 0

c-goat