What's happening at Waianae?

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Jun 15, 2010.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Heard the Ahi action kinda cooled down a bit with little to no action on the outside and sporadic at best in the porpoise pile with draging live Opelus near V buoy. Even the Ono action on the ledge is "iffy". CO being MIA really doesn't help the situation at all either. The last I heard, there were some boats chasing aku piles outside heading toward Haleiwa.....but didn't hear any Ahi coming up in them. Didn't hear anything lately about the left side...Nanakuli, Barber's Pt., BO, up to the pinnacle outside of the Harbor. Hope the action picks up real soon (I'm planning to go out on Wednesday). Can't imagine what Ahi Fever would be like if the action doesn't improve over the next few days. Any current information would be greatly appreciated!

2. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "sporadic". I've been hearing of a fish here or there but nothing I would bet the bank on russ. One of my friends caught a 600# donkey on a 17' boat yesterday out that side though.

3. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Has anyone ever noticed that the ahi bite in Waianae, for the last few years anyway, has closely mirrored the ulua bite at the deeper shoreline fishing spots?

Best: Full moon to last quarter

Good: Just before full moon and just after last quarter

Worst: Just before new moon until about 3 days before full moon

4. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Yeah Pupule,
    With that said, things should start picking up soon. Have any of you noticed over the past couple of years that the Ahi action at Waianae almost always follows an every other day pattern with one day being good and the next day being slow? Maybe just coincidence! I hope tomorrow starts up the trend!

5. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    would be nice, got poked in the eye all last weekend, scratch fishing at best. gonna be hard to top last year's fever as far as poundage.

6. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Poked in the eye too here... sucks! i'm gonna get one here sooner or later.. i keep saying every sunday, I'm done! I'll work on the boat, then i come on here, read the post... have a beer and say, let's rumble... ya fakah's gotta get off my back here soon... i'm putting the miles on! My boats' taking a beating too... once i catch one, i'll calm down and work on the boat... I SWEAR! :2gunsfiring_v1:

7. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Now, now....let's not fool ourselves. Fishing is more addicting than nicotine, and we all know what smokers will tell you ---> "I've quit hundreds of times." :)

8. ShellyGirl

ShellyGirl Newbie

Name:
    Bam
    Boat:
    21, Alii Kai (built by Pacific Customs), Shelly Girl
    We went yesterday and ran to the Right. The ahis slowed down, but get choke rat aku piles all over. Our friend went to the left with the same stuff. He also got chased by the coast guards near the pinnacle. Go get em tomorrow, and let us know how you did. I plan on scouting on Thursday.

9. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Go Get um boys. I'm fiberglassing like a mad man right now but plan to be on the water in 7-10 days

10. jeffhi

jeffhi Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26 yellowfin
    Its tough right now. I fished Waianae Fri, Sat, Sun, and today, had family visiting so wanted to get a good one for them. Got a hebi one day and lost an ahi at leader another day. It was really slow, got a mean sunburn and drank a lot of beer...

11. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Friends picked up a 409er this past weekend near HH (not really wai-side)...the way i see it...sporadic is all waianae is just gotta be there on the right days.

Go chop down one ti-leaf tree, step in some dog :shithappens: , cross the fingers & do everything right, then maybe you get um lol.

Goodluck

12. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    No bites today out on a friends boat. 25 mi. out and only saw bunches of small kine rats around. Couldn't even get those little bastards. Worked the porpoise for a while with no bait and no luck. Hopefully, next week will be better. Got some time off...

13. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    SOOOOOOOO that's what i'm doing wrong! :rofl:

14. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Oh well, decided to cancel going out today....call it lack of action, price of gas too high, wimping out or whatever.....bottomline is I'm not that anxious to go for just a boat ride. I hope the action picks up for the Ahi Fever tournament or it will be a looong weekend for 200+ boats. Good luck to all you Bloodydeckers that will be in the tournament and may you all have a safe and fun time this weekend!

15. oahufish

oahufish Newbie

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    33 Tiara
    Fished Sunday 10hr with only one 20lb Ono picked up in the first 20min on the Maile 40....

Wednesday for another 8 hrs with only one rat Aku

The fish are few, far between and really scattered...had one friend pick one up 3 miles outside the barge early in the morning and another boat I know of lost a 200+ one 6 miles outside CO. Both were on blind strikes...that's a lot of area to cover looking for a blind strike.

Still deciding if I want to burn more fuel tomorrow...

16. MANAPUA MAN

MANAPUA MAN Newbie

Name:
    CAPPY
    Boat:
    23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"

Lee,

Both our boats will be in G-2........Overnight Friday and Saturday.
    Trailers at my son's warehouse on Campbells...........
    Tomorrow (Friday) we launch early a.m. ..... Fish all day Friday off West Coast.....
    If you're out there on Chanel "23" my call sign is "Bionic Portugee"

Adios Amigo,

Cappy