What's are the differences between a Calstar 770XH and a Seeker SS 1x3

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I am getting ready to purchase a blank to to finish and put on my Makaira 16Sea. I will mostly use this rod for fishing 80. After reading the recent thread on "which rod for Makaira 16Sea" I have narrowed my choice to these two. What I was hoping for is a little information on the pros and cons of both these and how it would apply to 80. Your options are very much appreciated.

Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
The 1x3 with a 16 Mak is definitely a great 80# rod perfect for 10 day trips and IMHO is too light for big fish on 100# where the 2x4 shines. You might also look at the longer OSP version of the 1x3 as I have gone to that length in my newest 2x4's. Calstar or SuperSeeker you can't go wrong. T

Last edited:

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
The 1x3 with a 16 Mak is definitely a great 80# rod perfect for 10 day trips and IMHO is too light for big fish on 100# where the 2x4 shines. You might also look at the longer OSP version of the 1x3 as I have gone to that length in my newest 2x4's. Calstar or SuperSeeker you can't go wrong. T
Can this post get stickied? Perfect reply. Only thing I can add is that while both rods are exceptional for fishing 80#, they have very different bend profiles. I tend to look at seeker's and calstar's like fly rods (please....stick with me for this analogy): the most high-tech and advanced fly rod in the world won't be good for someone if it doesn't match the type of action that the caster is used to or if it is the wrong action for the application at hand (fast rod being used for dry-flies, slow rod for streamers out of a float tube, etc). It will really come down to what YOU like. Meet up with a rod builder who has those blanks on hand and get a feel for both of them (or a tackle shop if you plan on buying factory rods). If you read my signature you'll see that I'm obviously biased towards Seeker, but I will not trash a great product just because I'm affiliated with it's competitor. Calstar makes a god-damned good rod and you really couldn't go wrong by choosing either.

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I understand where your coming from on the fly rod analogy. The problem is that I am not aware of any rod builders in the Houston area that might have these blanks on hand much less understand how they would be used on the Long Range boats so that is why I was asking some of the people who have used these blanks. Do they both bend the same? Do they bottom out before hitting the max when using 80?
I think either would work fine, I just wanted to know some of your thoughts regarding experiences using them.
Thanks,
Rick

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
The SuperSeekers are going to be a bit more parabolic (politically correct term for "slower"). Once it locks up, the amount of power between the two should be about the same. I like a bit of a softer action since I've switched to using really short topshots of flourocarbon so there isn't a whole lot of give to the whole connection and therefore I like having the rod be a bit more parabolic to absorb head shakes. Granted.... I don't have the experience fishing the cow pastures like others on here, but I have done a ton of tuna fishing and those have been my experiences.

tetsujin808

Aug 21, 2009
The OC
Name
Bill
Boat
None
If the 1x3 is indeed more parabolic, can it be fished on the rail as efficiently as the 770XH?

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
If the 1x3 is indeed more parabolic, can it be fished on the rail as efficiently as the 770XH?
Absolutely. By being "more parabolic" I'm not trying to portray it as a japanese vertical jigging rod or anything of the sort. It just bends down the blank a little further than the 770 series. I did a search and found this pic of fishy hooked up with a 2x4. The 1x3 has a VERY similar bend to the 2x4, it just requires less pressure to get it bent to the same point.

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
I own both of those rods. The 1x3 is slower than the 770XH but the 1x3 has way more back end than the Calstar. IF you are straight rail fishing I give the edge to the 1x3 for the softer tip and overall ease on the angler.

To be completely honest I hate both rods. I prefer the 2x4 over both of the rods mentioned. The 2x4 was and is a great rail rod where you can fish 80-130# and fish big fish with it. It has the perfect balance between tip softness and back end power. The 1x3 and the 770XH are straight 80# IMO. The MAK 16 while its still a 16 size reel is way more reel than both of those blanks were designed for.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
I've had both. In general a Super Seeker has a softer tip and less recoil compared to Calstar. The Calstar blank is less expensive too. It is your personal preference that is most important when deciding between the two. Either will function effectively for your stated application.

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: sierraazuel

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
IMO the 2x4 is most definitely a Cow rod. The Calstar is for tuna in the teens.

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
The 1x3 is not a cow rod, but I have also heard from those with experience that the Mak 16 is not a cow reel. Both lend themselves very well to the 80lb application and that is what I have this combo for. For cows, I have a 2x4 mated to a Mak 20.

-Connor

Reactions: Tony O'Connell

kenfishken

Mar 13, 2015
Name
Ken Reddig
Boat
pontoon
Absolutely. By being "more parabolic" I'm not trying to portray it as a japanese vertical jigging rod or anything of the sort. It just bends down the blank a little further than the 770 series. I did a search and found this pic of fishy hooked up with a 2x4. The 1x3 has a VERY similar bend to the 2x4, it just requires less pressure to get it bent to the same point.

kenfishken

Mar 13, 2015
Name
Ken Reddig
Boat
pontoon
What is the purpose of the item (Bag ?) on the right shoulder of the man in the photo?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
What is the purpose of the item (Bag ?) on the right shoulder of the man in the photo?
Looks like the shadow of a gaff. More relevant question might be what's the point of wearing a belt if your britches are going to be that far off your ass anyway, reference shirtless, inked up deckhand.

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
Looks like the shadow of a gaff. More relevant question might be what's the point of wearing a belt if your britches are going to be that far off your ass anyway, reference shirtless, inked up deckhand.
To hold his plier-holster of course!

Reactions: Gabe L.

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
I am always interested in what other fisherman consider to be "cow" rods. IMO the 2x4 is a great rod but its far from my go to rod in the dark, dusk or kite. When your chances of getting a really good one for me is not the 2x4. I was early on the band wagon for the 2x4 as well. I had a prototype early on from Randy - built it loved it.

On a really good one (220's) at Clarion I realized the 2x4 is a great rod just not a great cow rod. The 6463 4x and HooDad 4x (Ocean Producer now) became my cow rods. I now have UC raptor, raptor 76, Invictus as well. I think the 2x4 is an 80 or 100# rod and has no business fishing 130. I would fish a MAK16 on it since its not a reel I would want on really big fish.

The 1x3 and the 770XH built as rail rods never made sense to me. They were both built at the height of the rail rod craze. I think they were built to complete lines of blanks that made for a system allowing an angler to have a rail rod in every line class 1x3, 2x4, 3x5. As far as the line class on the two rods the OP picked - great 60# blanks average 80# blanks.

The OP asked about two rods. He has difficulty bending rods because of where he lives. Decides on these two blanks which are nice blanks. I think, blanks are very subjective and difficult to describe what they will do based on the line ratings on the blanks. Fishing them is the only way to know what they are capable of doing. Line ratings are often over stated for warranty reasons. There are other blanks that will do a better job than the two he picked. The 2x4 is more versatile then the 1x3.

The UC Raptor is another great choice.

Just my thoughts on an early Saturday morning here in NY wishing I was on the Excel at the zone.

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
I am always interested in what other fisherman consider to be "cow" rods. IMO the 2x4 is a great rod but its far from my go to rod in the dark, dusk or kite. When your chances of getting a really good one for me is not the 2x4. I was early on the band wagon for the 2x4 as well. I had a prototype early on from Randy - built it loved it.

On a really good one (220's) at Clarion I realized the 2x4 is a great rod just not a great cow rod. The 6463 4x and HooDad 4x (Ocean Producer now) became my cow rods. I now have UC raptor, raptor 76, Invictus as well. I think the 2x4 is an 80 or 100# rod and has no business fishing 130. I would fish a MAK16 on it since its not a reel I would want on really big fish.

The 1x3 and the 770XH built as rail rods never made sense to me. They were both built at the height of the rail rod craze. I think they were built to complete lines of blanks that made for a system allowing an angler to have a rail rod in every line class 1x3, 2x4, 3x5. As far as the line class on the two rods the OP picked - great 60# blanks average 80# blanks.

The OP asked about two rods. He has difficulty bending rods because of where he lives. Decides on these two blanks which are nice blanks. I think, blanks are very subjective and difficult to describe what they will do based on the line ratings on the blanks. Fishing them is the only way to know what they are capable of doing. Line ratings are often over stated for warranty reasons. There are other blanks that will do a better job than the two he picked. The 2x4 is more versatile then the 1x3.

The UC Raptor is another great choice.

Just my thoughts on an early Saturday morning here in NY wishing I was on the Excel at the zone.
All very good points. One thing that I think we need to take into consideration as well is drag pressure. If he's someone who pulls REALLY hard on fish, I would probably look at the OSP 1x3 instead of the standard SS1x3. On the other hand, if he's only fishing in the low 20's at strike, the SS1x3 should be fine for him. The 770XH kind of falls into the "low 20's" category as well.

Reactions: skipjackrobert

BirdnestBill

Farmer
Jan 7, 2010
La Guaira Bank, Los Roques, Eastern Pacific
Name
Bill
Boat
Porque' No?
That's me….and it's just a shadow…..
Actually, that's David's "Stealth Coors Shoulder Purse". You always wonder how he can often be pictured holding a Coors AND a freshly gaffed cow? Now you know how he does it. Available in pink or lavender...

Last edited: