What's a good toe kick height/depth for a cockpit?

PSULion

You only live once
Apr 9, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Name
Barry
Boat
Hewes, Coldwater
I'm having toe kicks installed in my cockpit but don't know what height/depth they should be for boots (xtratuf, grundens, etc) and regular shoes.

I'd appreciate it if someone on here could measure theirs and report back? 2" 3" etc. Hard to find anything useful via web search.

thx.

Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Barry-
I have been in, around, and on 7-8 different Coldwaters. Never have seen toe kicks on any of them. Gunnels are so high it’s not needed. Is your deck higher than normal?

PSULion

You only live once
Apr 9, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Name
Barry
Boat
Hewes, Coldwater
No but I’m pretty damn tall and the gunwales are a tad lower than on my hewes. And I’m not going to put rails back there like on Karl’s. Bruce was going to just weld on some round bar nice and simple.

Last edited:

openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
First poster says to kicks to be installed in the cockpit......how do you do that? Second poster says gunnells are way high back of the back of boat? Where exactly are we talking about?

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
I'm having toe kicks installed in my cockpit but don't know what height/depth they should be for boots (xtratuf, grundens, etc) and regular shoes.

I'd appreciate it if someone on here could measure theirs and report back? 2" 3" etc. Hard to find anything useful via web search.

thx.
Just measured the ones on my parker and they are 2" and I wish they were at least 2.25-2.5"

I personally like them to not be too tight and require very little effort to get in or out and I have to really wedge them in with one of my pairs of boots (I have Xtratuffs and also no brand cheapos and forget which one is taller).

2" is perfect with flip flops or light shoes but usually if I am in flip flops I don't need toe kicks.

I think 3" would be too tall unless you are wearing winter boots.

I'd recommend trying out different heights before welding them but my vote would be 2.5"

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Just measured the ones on my parker and they are 2" and I wish they were at least 2.25-2.5"

I personally like them to not be too tight and require very little effort to get in or out and I have to really wedge them in with one of my pairs of boots (I have Xtratuffs and also no brand cheapos and forget which one is taller).

2" is perfect with flip flops or light shoes but usually if I am in flip flops I don't need toe kicks.

I think 3" would be too tall unless you are wearing winter boots.

I'd recommend trying out different heights before welding them but my vote would be 2.5"
Eli - pictures plz if you ever get a chance.

-tony

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
Eli - pictures plz if you ever get a chance.

-tony
Here's an old picture that includes the toe kicks on my boat, you can see it best on the starboard side, made of starboard. Let me know of any specific pictures you want. They are super helpful shrimping/crabbing where you are leaning out.
20190727_204112.jpg

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Here's an old picture that includes the toe kicks on my boat, you can see it best on the starboard side, made of starboard. Let me know of any specific pictures you want. They are super helpful shrimping/crabbing where you are leaning out.
View attachment 1100523
Thx!

Reactions: WaveDancer

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Awesome! That’s the same setup I’d like in my next build.

JayG

Sep 28, 2015
Mill Creek
Name
Jay
Boat
23' NR Seahawk "Chasing Dawn" SOLD
Beautiful boat
What is your interior side height from finish floor to top of gunwale ?

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
Toe rails or toe kicks as you call them are priceless once you have used them on a sloppy day regardless of your gunnel height.

I put them on my brand new Aquasport years ago and installed them at 2.75" of clearance after fishing on some Grady's that all had them and they helped, big time with stability on sloppy days while having two hands full of a fishing pole.

Another good use for them is to get some small plastic part bins with drain holes in them and put one on each side of the boat behind each rail for lures, weights, whatever to keep the deck clear while making short moves or under way.

You will be glad you put them on if you ever fish in lumpy weather out on the ocean jigging for sea bass or whatever.

Good luck.

WD

Last edited:
Reactions: PSULion

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
WA
Name
Erik
Boat
unnamed
Saying high gunnels will make up for toe kicks is like saying closing your car windows will compensate for not having bolstering or seat belts. You might not fall out of the boat but you better control where you are inside too.