petecraig4567

livetofish
Jul 19, 2008
san diego ca usa
Name
pete craig
Boat
Investing in a boat
A boat that is affordable that can go to la Jolla kelp or Point Loma Kelp. Just for now cause i'm saving money. I have 1,500 in my bank account that i got from working as a pin head on the boat. Thanks every one

DaveR

Feb 22, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
28' Skipjack
Don't be afraid to wait another year and save more before buying something worthwhile. Use your time now to earn, learn by fishing with others in their boats, and when you do pull the trigger, make sure to have the necessary safety gear. Take a USCG boating course, and Vessel Assist is a worthwhile expense. Good luck.

slagburn

Boat driver
May 14, 2009
LA/OC, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
14ft Leaking Valco
An old aluminum one that you don't have too worry much about smashing into things while learning the intricacies of things like docking in wind / current etc, or when you find the steel dock pin that is sticking two feet out from the dock in the dark...

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Forget about the boat.
Look for a good outboard (keep an eye on shaft length) for the money you can spend...The aluminum hull will take care of itself...A boat without a reliable motor is an expensive flowerbed in the yard...

Last edited:

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
talk about a loaded question!! you know, after having a few you would think you would know what to get, but there are always trade offs that you have to make. I don't think I could give you good advice on that one, but I will give some. I got the boat i have now because it was a good deal and i wanted something that i could pull with my little truck, cheap to use so I could say fuck everyone when they bail at the last min. and go by myself, as long as it was kelp bed capable. I got it dialed in, it is perfect for two people at the kelp beds.... but i should have got a bigger one because the places I want to go to now are out of my range. so my advice to you is save your money until you can buy something in the 20' range and something new enough you can use it and not just work on it, because when it is all said and done you will spend the same amount of money either way.

A BOAT is a hull in the water in which you throw money.

BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand

Look for someone who has the boat and is looking for a fishing partner that they can count on to show up and do their fair share, they are out there. I go by myself all the time because life is to short to be waiting for other people, but it is more fun when there is someone there to watch you make a fool of yourself. if you buy all the gas and all the bait and clean the boat when you get back, you will be money ahead.
like carl said about the boat that doesn't run is a flower pot... buying the boat is not what costs you all the money, it is keeping it running and having it the way you want it.

Don't worry, this is the same kind of advice the ol man gave me, and I thought the same thing that your thinking now.

fisherman from

LONG BEACH
Mar 13, 2010
Longo Beach, Cali
Name
johnny
Boat
1975 monark and caddis navigator 2
what ever you do,do not rush into anything,take your time and get what you want,that fits your style of fishing,i bought a boat and rushed it,not realizing what it take in owning one and keeping it up.900 bucks down the drain engine blew when i was getting it tuned up,i finally found 1 and it was my bosses,700 bucks,engine was 85horse,and it was a older monark bass boat,cleaned it up,etc.now im a regular at the wall couldnt be more happy with my style of fishing ,which is bassin.and i roll out solo or with my son.just take your time!!!!

nellie

Let's Ride!
Jul 20, 2006
alpine, ca
Name
nellie
Boat
none
You might try going down and hanging out at one of the launch ramps and watching the boats come and go. You rarely see 2 alike. You'll see how guys have set them up. Hang out over near the wash-out area and you might get some pointers and info. from the guys. Occassionally you'll see a boat for sale too...Good luck.