uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
Working on getting this long overdue build done on my whaler. My transom is 24” and I’ve had a custom seating setup and will have bait tank glassed in to transom.
Options now are:
1) glass in flush height bait tank with 40 gallon capacity but look super rad, reduce weight near motors
2) glass in 36” tall tank (10” over transom and seats) and get 68 gallon capacity

Last edited:

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Extra 600+ pounds in the transom?
No thanks...

Reactions: gecsr1

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
How do you fish? Heavy on the live bait? Overnighters? Lotsa buddies? I’d go bigger.

If you’re mostly an inshore or artificial guy then go smaller.

Any way you could make it a split tank in case you want to carry squid and finbait?

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
How do you fish? Heavy on the live bait? Overnighters? Lotsa buddies? I’d go bigger.

If you’re mostly an inshore or artificial guy then go smaller.

Any way you could make it a split tank in case you want to carry squid and finbait?
Not without making a custom order which I can’t do at this point. I do both islands/inshore and will be doing lots of overnight and multi day trips in this boat

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Hank
Boat
Small raft
There is a saying in the Bible that goes something like - “thee who has the most bait wins!”

68 gal - it’s a must have for overnights especially if you for a bunch of buddies - will allow you to have options - run the tank half full with a scoop and race to the grounds or load up with 3-4 scoops and stay over night - they fish are always happy with more room - make sure you have the right pump and power.

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
Is there any way to sink the larger tank into the deck to flush it out with the gunnels? Flush obviously looks best but bait capacity is important too.
On another note, the last several years it's been all about the big BF and big loads of bait aren't necessary. Maybe find a way to add a second tank later?

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Mock it up and see what it looks like.

More is better.

Any chance you can add a second tank on swimstep for longer trips?

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
Is there any way to sink the larger tank into the deck to flush it out with the gunnels? Flush obviously looks best but bait capacity is important too.
On another note, the last several years it's been all about the big BF and big loads of bait aren't necessary. Maybe find a way to add a second tank later?
There may be a way to do this. While the big BFT are great, I also enjoy paddy hopping and jamming around looking for other pelagics. This is to say I don’t set a target on BFT exclusively

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Would suck to have to tear it out later and go bigger. Go big and forget about it. One and done.

But are those seats going to be very usable with all the sloshing? Hopefully your buds all have slickers.

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    More information is needed, what power do you have, on a bracket or notched transom, I/O, diesel or gas.
    68 gallons plus the weight of the tank is a lot that far back, do you have scruppers in the back of the boat, is the cockpit self draining, how will it affect your handling.

How much tab will you need to get the bow down with all that weight in the transom.
    Try and answer all those questions before moving forward.
    More bait capacity is wonderful but at what price, get 600 plus pounds of sand bags put them on the transom and go for a run, head seas, following seas see how the boat handle.
    Good luck.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    Would suck to have to tear it out later and go bigger. Go big and forget about it. One and done.

But are those seats going to be very usable with all the sloshing? Hopefully your buds all have slickers.
    Tank will have a pressure sealing top 🤘🏼Plus all these tanks can be filled half or full

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    More information is needed, what power do you have, on a bracket or notched transom, I/O, diesel or gas.
    68 gallons plus the weight of the tank is a lot that far back, do you have scruppers in the back of the boat, is the cockpit self draining, how will it affect your handling.

How much tab will you need to get the bow down with all that weight in the transom.
    Try and answer all those questions before moving forward.
    More bait capacity is wonderful but at what price, get 600 plus pounds of sand bags put them on the transom and go for a run, head seas, following seas see how the boat handle.
    Good luck.
    Positive flotation bracket and twin 300’s. Scuppers which drain the deck are port and starboard about 12” forward of transom. Boat is getting built out right now so not plausible to run tests unfortunately. Good thing is these tanks can be run full or half capacity

5915D896-2F82-4AC2-BF4E-785A631CE9E5.jpeg
    DAE1AD78-985D-489F-996F-C9A94EB808E4.jpeg

Reactions: Tomictime

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    looks like a pretty wide transom to fish over with the seats and the bait tank and then the motors on the bracket... , I can see lots of line in the props.....and lost fish...
    Oh well good luck....

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    looks like a pretty wide transom to fish over with the seats and the bait tank and then the motors on the bracket... , I can see lots of line in the props.....and lost fish...
    Oh well good luck....
    that's how the boat was built. not much i can do about that. had i not made the seats, the transom would be same width. bracket will be an open swim step so step over to it when needed
    0EB549E8-1132-46C0-97E9-75280138601A_1_105_c.jpeg