irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
My new budget for a bigger boat jumped to 80 to 90k looking in the 26 28 foot range defiantly pilot house or fly bridge what would go after

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Some nice blackmans out there for 50k or so,save the rest to throw in the hole in the water.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Even with that much, you run into the old question, do you spend that much on an awesome new boat, or that same amount for a slightly used, but even more awesome boat? The only advise I have is so simple: look at both, look at damn near everything you can and don't be rushed by anyone. That much cash talks, who knows what you will come up with. Unless your wife talks some sense into you, and you buy a nice, 30K boat (and God knows you can) and bank the rest. But let's not go there

Upvote 0

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat
    Well I already have a 30k boat sitting in the driveway but I am sick of getting the shit kicked out of me on a cc. Just want bigger and there is no talking any sense into my dumb ass

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
    Whittier California
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Wow,there are so many nice rigs in that price range,my head would be spinning,can't wait to see what you end up getting!

Upvote 0

MoMo Fish

Jun 27, 2010
    Ventura County
    Name
    Brooklyn!
    Dam that's a great attitude! Should be an awesome boat whatever you buy for that kind of cash

Can I be the first to sign up on your future boat ho list [emoji23]

Well I already have a 30k boat sitting in the driveway but I am sick of getting the shit kicked out of me on a cc. Just want bigger and there is no talking any sense into my dumb ass

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    NOT that you don't know this--just saying, there are 30K skiffs that ride rough and 30K, Deep V's that slice. Same with your budget now--and that's the fun part, all the choices you have to look at in both size and design. Is this going to be a big trailer, or slip boat? You want aluminum or fiberglass, outboard/inboard, or no preference? New, used or either depending on what you come across? Shit would I like to be in your shoes--to me, a big part of the fun is sorting it out on paper before ever going to see any one boat. Please keep us posted as you get in deeper, I'll bet you get a cool boat.

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Yucca Valley, CA USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    I have never been a fan of the smaller fly bridge boats, sitting down in a narrow beam fly bridge is just no fun IMO. I would be leaning towards PH. I have a 26' express style Cat and love it, having good wind and spray protection is a plus. Cats ride great, as do some of the better PH monohulls. Because I live so far from the coast, most of my fishing trips are overnighters, may not be the same for you because you are in SD.

My son-in-law picked up a 29' Everglades PH in/near your budget. It has a lot more fishability than my express without the overnight capability. Very fast I'm sure and it has the pilot house protection you're looking for.

Upvote 0

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat
    Want it on a trailer not sure if I want diesel or outboards I know diesel parts are a shit load but it sure would be nice to run tractor fuel. I just don't know. I was looking at the 31 farllon with diesel ar a 25 farllon with a 350 yami. Wouldn't mind a 2820 parker just not alot for sale

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    You can get a better bang for the buck than that Radon. If I had to spend the money, it would be a Davis, Parker, or a pilot house cat. The farallons are awesome too.

Reactions: Bigeasy
    Upvote 0

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    You can get a better bang for the buck than that Radon. If I had to spend the money, it would be a Davis, Parker, or a pilot house cat. The farallons are awesome too.

I'm sure he can but again you have no first hand experience riding on one of these boats so how can you comment like that? This is from another post where you talked about your "experience" with Radon's and Anderson's...stick to the Proline's man. Go ride on a real Radon, your attitude towards them will be changed instantly...especially if its really rough out. There's a reason these boats are super popular in Hi which makes our Ca waters look like a lake.

I was running in next to a 24ft Radon the other day and they were taking a beating. It was surely rough out but with the deadrise on our Proline, we can hold 25kts in pretty much any conditions. Plus, the cost is super low and you get plenty of amenities. To each his own, I'll take the cheaper boat that catches just as many fish and goes faster more comfortably.

To the OP...if you're looking to spend that kinda dough and your biggest complaint is "getting the shit kicked out of you", then you should definitely be looking to a higher end used West Coast boat like Radon, Anderson, Davis, Farallon, etc.

Reactions: bparker1225
    Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
    Jun 25, 2008
    The Island
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Boatless
    Don't forget to look at the Albin 28TE. The nice ones are right in your price and size range. It's a single diesel inboard and quite a few have bow thrusters. The inboard is especially nice (versus out drive) if you plan on keeping it in the water and real quality build.
    Radons are bad ass for sure, especially in a steep following sea, but most lack a lot of creature comforts, so it comes down to what you are willing to do with and without.
    Osprey is another nice pilot house that wasn't mentioned, but uses an out drive as well.
    Or use that money on a down payment for the new Ocean Sport 26'

Reactions: sbsurfer
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'm sure he can but again you have no first hand experience riding on one of these boats so how can you comment like that? This is from another post where you talked about your "experience" with Radon's and Anderson's...stick to the Proline's man. Go ride on a real Radon, your attitude towards them will be changed instantly...especially if its really rough out. There's a reason these boats are super popular in Hi which makes our Ca waters look like a lake.

To the OP...if you're looking to spend that kinda dough and your biggest complaint is "getting the shit kicked out of you", then you should definitely be looking to a higher end used West Coast boat like Radon, Anderson, Davis, Farallon, etc.
    Yeah, I'm sure he won't get the shit kicked out of him when running into a good head sea at speed in a Radon. All about what characteristics you are looking for. If you like to leave early and come back late, Radon/Anderson/etc. will be a great choice on the West coast. However, they lack the cabin space and high speed, smooth ride of other boats, which is what the OP is looking for. These Westcoast boats are great, in the right conditions and hands. From what he describes, he is not looking for a boat of that style specifically.

As I said before, nothing against these boats. But they are not for everyone and from what the OP describes, not necessarily for him either. Who knows, maybe they are just what he is looking for.

Upvote 0

FishinArmo

Apr 5, 2006
    Northridge CA
    Name
    Avo Oughourlian
    Boat
    DOS XX
    Radon or Davis !!!!! i have been getting intrigued with the boston whaler 280 outrage but don't know how they ride. Also i dont think you can beat the resale value of a radon or davis.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    Want it on a trailer not sure if I want diesel or outboards I know diesel parts are a shit load but it sure would be nice to run tractor fuel. I just don't know. I was looking at the 31 farllon with diesel ar a 25 farllon with a 350 yami. Wouldn't mind a 2820 parker just not alot for sale
    Great boats--it really all depends on your needs--and what you are willing to pay upfront and ongoing. Heavy towing takes it's toll--I see a lot of guys with big boats who just don't tend to go much---yet I know one guy with a 35 cat--and he goes all the time (his is slipped). One thing for SURE: if you have four guys total who can go regularly with you and split costs, that goes a long way. My two cents: for MOST guys "less is more", up front and ongoing expenses--and needs. If it were me (I know it's not) I would get a cuddy, 23' range Parker, Grady or other top quality hull, outboard (don't like holes in the boat for the inboard), that gives to me, the best combo of ease of tow, good range, in deck fish hold, bait tank, and all that. Size is OK--for me, cause I usually have one- three on the boat, and that 23 could take that and one or two more if needed. And I would not spend it all in one lump--you know the drill, after you buy you add this and that, fix this or that.

Upvote 0

riverplayer

Jun 5, 2006
    Riverside
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    How about this one. You'd need to come up with a really good excuse for me to sell it and another 10K but its 30' of turnkey bliss. Get there quick, no weather issues and sleep/fish 5-6 guys no problem. Set up for west coast fishing. Simrad A/P, Furuno systems and icom radios. Its all there! You will need a big truck though.

View attachment 740729

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

riverplayer

Jun 5, 2006
    Riverside
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    How about this one. You'd need to come up with a really good excuse for me to sell it and another 10K but its 30' of turnkey bliss. Get there quick, no weather issues and sleep/fish 5-6 guys no problem. Set up for west coast fishing. Simrad A/P, Furuno systems and icom radios. Its all there! You will need a big truck though.

Cell Pictures 598.jpg

Upvote 0

barrie

Almost A Member
    Nov 18, 2007
    victoria bc canada
    Name
    barrie
    Boat
    2008 Seasport 24
    Have a look at Skagit Orca and Sea Sport 27. My little 24 SS rides almost as nice as my old Bertam 31 and way better than my long gone Grady 27! Both are top quality builds up here in the PNW

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
    Jun 24, 2008
    placerville/ca/usa
    Name
    zane
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    Don't forget to look at the Albin 28TE. The nice ones are right in your price and size range. It's a single diesel inboard and quite a few have bow thrusters. The inboard is especially nice (versus out drive) if you plan on keeping it in the water and real quality build.
    Radons are bad ass for sure, especially in a steep following sea, but most lack a lot of creature comforts, so it comes down to what you are willing to do with and without.
    Osprey is another nice pilot house that wasn't mentioned, but uses an out drive as well.
    Or use that money on a down payment for the new Ocean Sport 26'

There are alot of things i like about the Albin 28TE. According to many marine engineers, a boat less than 30', especially a diesel, is best powered with a single engine. Less running gear, less weight, less maintenance.

The Albin meets many of my requirements, but the thing just isn't pulchritudinous enough for me. definition: Pulchritude - possessing physical beauty.

I fell in love with the Albemarle 28 Express. It is trailerable with permit.

2005-albemarle-28-express-0.jpg

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Only one choice. Boston Whaler Conquest 315 with twin F300's

Reactions: MATTANZA
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Where are you getting this from? Why do you think those boats hold their value so well, because they suck? Do you have any first hand experience to comment about ride quality?
    I've spoken with a bunch of owners, rode on one. Everyone concludes that they are a low-amenity boat that generally pounds when going into a head sea of any considerable size. You can find this statement across the Internet and plenty of owners will claim the same. That's not to say that they aren't great boats, just might not be exactly what this specific human is looking for! Hell, I love the smaller Radons and Greenoughs, I think they are some of the most practical boats in their class. But as they get bigger, I see the value less and less unless you are a commercial guy or don't mind bumping the speed down in a head sea. I'm sure they are more seaworthy than many deep v boats, but out here in the West, that rarely matters in vessels of the 24ft+ size range.

For the last time, they are awesome boats! For some people.

Upvote 0