What would you buy if you could only take ONE rod and reel set up for an 8 day trip?

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Man that's tough.....lol there have been a ton of great suggestions! I think personally for me if it were 2 setups it would be a Calstar GFGR 800MH 20-50 with a Torque 30 or 40NLD2 spooled with 65lb braid and Calstar GFGR 7470H 50-100 with a VISX 16 with 80lb braid , but what do I know, I just like to buy stuff LOL
Slapped a 30 on a 875H... that is an INTIMIDATING rig as I’ve seen put together.

Reactions: Loves2hook
Loves2hook
Loves2hook
Nice! I DEFFINETLY love Calstar rods lol. there are so many nice rods out now but I keep buying more of them than anything lol, and when you mate them up with some of the new Penn gear it doesn't get much better in my personal opinion.
Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    1 tackle store?

Upvote 0

tee time girl

love to fish
    Apr 18, 2006
    Oregon
    montereycompany.com
    Name
    Nicole
    Boat
    Your boat, not mine.
    ntrepid has excellent "Loaner" rigs all you pay for is line charge. To fill in the gaps in what you will have/what you will need. Just need to let them know ahead of time.

You could catch anything from 20# Dorado up to 200# Tuna!
    Do you by chance know what the specs are for the rental rig supplied by Intrepid? That is a helluva range of fish variety! Maybe that is a rig to consider?

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Do you by chance know what the specs are for the rental rig supplied by Intrepid? That is a helluva range of fish variety! Maybe that is a rig to consider?
    Seeker rods and Avet reels. $10 charge for line. Helluva deal!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    Can you be more specific?
    Streetnfish has it right. Heavy heavy and every line class below that. Give Intrepid a call they will be more than happy to discuss specifics. My friends Steve and Alice are both going 100% with Boat Gear.

I still Love your idea to get him something special 💖🥰 🐟

Reactions: tee time girl
    Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Can you be more specific?
    They have quality loaner gear available. They just charge for the line fills. They have several sizes available. Just call ahead and let them know which sizes you’d like to borrow.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tee time girl

love to fish
    Apr 18, 2006
    Oregon
    montereycompany.com
    Name
    Nicole
    Boat
    Your boat, not mine.
    OK! To follow up, we leave on our 8 day on Aug 2. I bought my husband 3 setups and we will rent the rest.
    Here is what I got him:

1. phoenix ABYSS 7’8” paired with an Avet MJX 64 2 speed

2. Daiwa podius 8’ paired with Avet JX 63 Magic Cast

3. Accurate Valiant 60-130 paired with Avet HX Raptor

I realize that the rods are not Calstar or Seeker and hopefully these will be good alternatives, but I am also getting him 3 setups instead of one. We can buy more for trip number 2!

what do you think?

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    OK! To follow up, we leave on our 8 day on Aug 2. I bought my husband 3 setups and we will rent the rest.
    Here is what I got him:

I realize that the rods are not Calstar or Seeker and hopefully these will be good alternatives, but I am also getting him 3 setups instead of one. We can buy more for trip number 2!

what do you think?
    I think you set him up very well. Depending on where you guys fish he may not need any other outfits. Use the boat’s trolling rods and kite rods. If they plan on fishing for bigger bluefins he you may need to rent/borrow a 100# setup. You did good.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Here is what I got him:

what do you think?
    You are very generous to your husband, he will be excited with anything you give him, because you thought about his intrest's, more than yourself! :urno1:

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    I'm going to be the odd man out on this one...

None of the rigs you picked are better than the Boat Gear offered by Intrepid.

Reel should have been something amazing like a Penn Torque 40 nld2, any of the Penn VISX line 12, 16 or 20, or an Okuma SEa in 15T, 16 or 20.

Rod should match the reel in class, UC are excellent, anything from a 7'6" Predator up to a 7'6" Viper Rail Rod. Any of these would be Tops In Class.

FWIW, which isn't much! Would be different if you were comparing your rods to Rent Rods and not the Intrepid Loaner gear... I really liked your first instinct to purchase 1 Super Nice rig and not 3 average rigs...

tee time girl
    tee time girl
    Well, we are still going to rent two rigs each on the boat, so these will have to do. We were advised by an associate at Squidco on what to buy and we grilled him on whether to buy seeker and calstar rods over the ones he recommended and he really gave us good arguments for why we would like these over those. We can always upgrade the rods and reels when I know he is hooked 😉
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    Maybe your wife will toss in a few k ????? They are solid rigs and if he wants to upgrade after the trip let me know I would be interested in buying the reels……

Upvote 0