What would you buy if you could only take ONE rod and reel set up for an 8 day trip?

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Man that's tough.....lol there have been a ton of great suggestions! I think personally for me if it were 2 setups it would be a Calstar GFGR 800MH 20-50 with a Torque 30 or 40NLD2 spooled with 65lb braid and Calstar GFGR 7470H 50-100 with a VISX 16 with 80lb braid , but what do I know, I just like to buy stuff LOL
Slapped a 30 on a 875H... that is an INTIMIDATING rig as I’ve seen put together.

Reactions: Loves2hook
Loves2hook
Loves2hook
Nice! I DEFFINETLY love Calstar rods lol. there are so many nice rods out now but I keep buying more of them than anything lol, and when you mate them up with some of the new Penn gear it doesn't get much better in my personal opinion.
Upvote 0

tee time girl

love to fish
Apr 18, 2006
Oregon
montereycompany.com
Name
Nicole
Boat
Your boat, not mine.
ntrepid has excellent "Loaner" rigs all you pay for is line charge. To fill in the gaps in what you will have/what you will need. Just need to let them know ahead of time.

You could catch anything from 20# Dorado up to 200# Tuna!
Do you by chance know what the specs are for the rental rig supplied by Intrepid? That is a helluva range of fish variety! Maybe that is a rig to consider?

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Do you by chance know what the specs are for the rental rig supplied by Intrepid? That is a helluva range of fish variety! Maybe that is a rig to consider?
Seeker rods and Avet reels. $10 charge for line. Helluva deal!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Can you be more specific?
Streetnfish has it right. Heavy heavy and every line class below that. Give Intrepid a call they will be more than happy to discuss specifics. My friends Steve and Alice are both going 100% with Boat Gear.

I still Love your idea to get him something special 💖🥰 🐟

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Can you be more specific?
They have quality loaner gear available. They just charge for the line fills. They have several sizes available. Just call ahead and let them know which sizes you’d like to borrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0