What would you buy if you could only take ONE rod and reel set up for an 8 day trip?

tee time girl

love to fish
Apr 18, 2006
Oregon
montereycompany.com
Name
Nicole
Boat
Your boat, not mine.
I want to buy my husband a rod and reel for his 8 day trip in the beginning of August leaving out of San Diego. He needs a “go to” versatile setup. Cost is not a concern. What would you take if you could only bring one setup on a trip like this?

Almud
Almud
Give him a $1000 gift certifacte from Squidco. They normally have a Father’s day special where you pay $800 for $1000 certificate. He can then fill in any gap that he has in his arsenal. Lucky man your husband is!!!!!
Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Colten
Boat
Surfboard
That would be really hard to do, but if I had to it would be Penn Torque 40nld2 with UC GP 80 Terminator, on a budget, Fathom 40nld2, Okuma PCH 701 xxh. It would be hard to use one setup, and i would imagine it would be almost impossible on a trip that length

Out of the setups I own, it would be my MXJ Star with Seeker Hercules Gts 80h

Last edited:

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Only 1... I would do a UC GP terminator paired with a accurate valiant 600 with #80 braid. He would be able to fish 30-80 if needed but ideal for 40-60.

Reactions: tee time girl
    Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Avet JX Raptor on a Calstar GF875H. Have it filled with 65lb braid. That would serve 20-80lb. about as good as you can get. If the fish wins, He should tip his hat.

Last edited:
    tee time girl
    tee time girl
    I love this combo suggestion and just might go with it. Nice range and variety of fish to catch with this setup! Thanks!
    Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    Your a good wife and he is a lucky man!

help us out, what kind of rods and reels does he currently have? Tons of good advice above but we all kind of find a niche with a “BRAND” and even if it sucks we talk it up.... does he throw the iron? Strictly hook/jig? Please post a pic of the set up u choose.

tee time girl
    tee time girl
    Will do! He will certainly rent gear from the boat and after reading all of this, we will likely buy 2 setups for him.
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I would get either a Calstar Grafighter 700H or a SuperSeeker 6470H. For the reel I would get an Avet JX Raptor or a Shimano Talica 12. Either of those rods paired with either of the reels would be a good all around outfit. You could fish bait, wahoo bombs, yoyo for yellowtail etc. It would be a quality setup that he could use for many years.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    As noted, going on an 8-day trip with just one rig would be akin to going to play golf at Pebble Beach with just one club.
    You could do it, but you would miss out on numerous opportunities to do better.
    That said, I am assuming you want to buy him something very nice, and then just let him rent/borrow the rest from the boat or landing.
    Going along with several other posters, the Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2 does more different jobs than almost any other reel on a trip like that.
    Fill it 3/4 full with 80-pound braid, and then let him "topshot" it with 50/60/80 pound mono/fluoro as the day's conditions may dictate.
    This rig [with varying topshots] can be used for dropping yo-yo iron for 15-50 pound yellowtail, casting raider jigs/wahoo bombs for wahoo, flylining live sardines for 40-125 pound yellowfin tuna at Guadalupe Island [if open!], and even for sinker rigs and flatfall jigs for local bluefin tuna in the 75-175 pound class.
    Match it with a 7 to 8-foot rod rated for 40-100 pound lines, and its as versatile as a single setup can possibly be.

tee time girl
    tee time girl
    Such a great setup suggestion! Just watched a great YouTube on that reel. Thumbs up
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    You’re a sweetheart and he is a very lucky man, although I have to say my wife did green light me on lots of new gear 20+ years ago when I was getting back in to long range fishing.

You’ve gotten great suggestions. My first thought was a Penn Torque 40NLD2, and the UC Terminator is a great idea. I have both of these and feel they are must haves for the 8-10 day trips. This would be mainly using 50-60# line up to 80 in a pinch, which might be heavier than the most used outfit would be.

Another great suggestion was the Avet JX Raptor, and the Calstar 875H is also a fantastic recommendation. This would be more of a 40-50# setup which should be his most used rating.

Both of these are versatile rigs that would cover a large amount of the fishing to be done. Both could cover jigs, bombs, and bait fishing in their respective weight classes.

Upvote 0

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
    south pasadena
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Float tube
    What kind of fisherman is your husband? Does he fish saltwater often? Can he cast a conventional reel? Does he like throwing lures or does he mostly fish bait? Does he have any saltwater gear currently? Is this going to be an annual type of trip or is he just going to do this once? Does he have any physical ailments? (Back, shoulder injuries).
    Sorry for all the questions but the answers could help narrow down what may be useful for him.

tee time girl
    tee time girl
    He has not done much saltwater fishing in the past 20 years... not none, but not a lot. He did a lot as a kid. No ailments. I want him to get hooked. Probably going to get him 2 setups and rent from the boat. I have some gear too and yes I will be on the trip too. What is nice about asking this question is the level of detail and sincerity I am getting in the answers :) such great advice and to the point
    Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Buy him a gift certificate from a local Tackle Shop.

Reactions: Reel_Brew and dsl
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Give him the cash instead, So he can go rent 5 good setups and spend the left over cash on buying some tackle, Instead of walking on the boat with only one new shinny rod and reel and get laughed at.

• Wow
    tee time girl
    tee time girl
    I am really grateful for all the sincere and detailed answers from the seasoned fishermen from BD. I come here for real answers and I am getting amazing suggestions from most. This is a gift. I don’t want to hand him money, that is a withdrawal not a gift :)
    Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Neat idea. :appl:

There are a lot of different rods and reels that would work, so rather than specific choices there, I'd also say that a good 40# outfit is the one that is most useful for that kind of trip. Get a 7-7.5 foot rod and a nice 2 speed reel, load the reel with 50-65# white solid spectra, and you're done. If you have money left over, consider some hooks, lures and other necessities.

As also posted, if you can learn what he already has, it would help a lot in making recommendations for his next rig. But in any event, if he doesn't have a lot of gear already, consider instead of getting him one "Lexus" top of the line rig, getting him two "Toyota" very servicable rigs. He will get more use out of that, he will feel less undergunned, and you'll end up with more fish on the table.

Do you live near a good saltwater tackle store? If so, going in there and getting help choosing from a knowledgable salesperson is best. If you are doing mail order, I guess that you do need specific models.

If all this is too hard and you're not sure of the choice, then I strongly recommend as others have of getting him a gift certificate to get what he needs, especially if he is getting to San Diego a day before his trip--he can have a lot of fun and learn a lot by walking into a good tackle store there and asking for advice--they'll know best what he'll need and offer him a lot of choices and help. He'll be like a kid in a candy store.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    As a go to set-up I would get a Seeker D-8 rod.... all specs are down the middle.... from one of the best out there.
    If price were truly no concern... I would look for a UNICORN! Seeker Blue S Glass D-8 limited Edition.... Only a handful ever made...

Reel would probably be a 2 speed for versatility... But on mine I prefer an old ProGear.

I would fill the spool with 65lb spectra and buy lots of different flourocarbon line to adjust line size as needed.

Obviously he has a quiver of rods and reels, but this would be my 1 and only.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    That would be really hard to do, but if I had to it would be Penn Torque 40nld2 with UC GP 80 Terminator.

Nailed it! This rig is versatile enough to fish 40 - 60 very well, and could extend to heavy 30/light 80 if needed. The reel is super strong, excellent free spool. Stick is light with tons of power and casts a sardine really well. Make sure you look at the GP (Premium) Terminator, not the RUS Terminator. The materials in the GP model give it much more spine and recoil under load, which is what gives it the 30 - 80# factory recommended line rating.

I'm using my GP Terminator/40 nld2 next week for a 4-Day on Shogun for BFT, plan mostly 60# fluoro for flyline and sinker rig. May also use it for day time jig fishing, depending on what line class the fish are eating. Good luck!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tee time girl

love to fish
    Apr 18, 2006
    Oregon
    montereycompany.com
    Name
    Nicole
    Boat
    Your boat, not mine.
    Going along with several other posters, the Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2 does more different jobs than almost any other reel on a trip like that.
    Fill it 3/4 full with 80-pound braid, and then let him "topshot" it with 50/60/80 pound mono/fluoro as the day's conditions may dictate.
    This rig [with varying topshots] can be used for dropping yo-yo iron for 15-50 pound yellowtail, casting raider jigs/wahoo bombs for wahoo, flylining live sardines for 40-125 pound yellowfin tuna at Guadalupe Island [if open!], and even for sinker rigs and flatfall jigs for local bluefin tuna in the 75-175 pound class.
    Match it with a 7 to 8-foot rod rated for 40-100 pound lines, and its as versatile as a single setup can possibly be.
    May be the best answer so far. Dang it... I might have to buy 3 setups now!

Reactions: TOTW and Tom123
    Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Thread '5 to 8 day rod & reel recommendation list [updated]' https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/5-to-8-day-rod-reel-recommendation-list-updated.650517/

Have you stumbled across this thread yet? This give you an idea of what the boats recommend for gear as far as number of set ups. By any chance is his trip sponsored? Most of the time sponsored trip bring a ton of gear for folks to use. If you are considering 2 a great option would be fathom or torque depending on budget 25n and 40 and appropriate #30-#40 and #40-#60 rods.

Upvote 0