what would have done

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
I went out fishing with a friend on a local so. ca. boat he chartered. I gave all the fish i cought to one of the other guys on the trip who was not catching much. here it the bad part, after all the fish were cleaned and the crew was finisher i was out on the back of the boat and saw a starry rock fish on the deck next to a sack that a deckhand had been keeping some blue perch in for himself. I new i had cought it and thought to my self it must have droped, so no big deal i picked it up and went to put it in the deckhands sack. when i opened the sack there was a scolpin in it that i know was also one of the fish i gave to my friend. i was the only person on the boat to catch a scolpin that day so i am sure it was mine. i told the person that invited me to fish with him and he was going to talk to the owner of the boat.
what would you have done?
i will not give out the name of the boat or landing. i will let my friend do that after he talks to the owner of the boat.

Bada Bing

Instigator General
Apr 30, 2003
PB, CA
Name
JMH
Boat
Always a good one
I'd have done what you did, talk to the skipper. Pretty lame if the decky is stealing fish. sheeesh :rolleyes:

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
dont let it ruin your day there are thieves everywhere nowadays,maybe he needed some fish to eat(hard times for some right now)you did the right thing helping the guy with no fish out and the deckie will have to deal with his own karma.

jimdog99

LickemLowLover L3
Oct 11, 2004
Hartsville SC USA
Name
Jim
Boat
Yours
dont let it ruin your day there are thieves everywhere nowadays,maybe he needed some fish to eat(hard times for some right now)you did the right thing helping the guy with no fish out and the deckie will have to deal with his own karma.
Good point... Times are tough but that does not give one the right to steal. Period!

ECMFab

A Salt Weapon
Mar 24, 2008
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Ethan
Boat
Sold her :(
The answer is pretty much what you did do.. Now if you want to take it to the extreme, (not too sure if youre looking for a real toughguy attitude and answer) I woulda taken the gaff and hooked that mudda fucka in his belly and thrown the son of a bitch overboard to swim with the fishes.

OBfishguy

Aug 22, 2004
OB
Name
Justin Iacino
Boat
pallet with oars
As a Deckhand I know how difficult it can be to sort fish for people who have given them away, especially when the fish are in one sack to be added to another sack
Recently limits have come into play so as a crewmember I always put together the biggest best limit for the customer and the extra goes in the crew sack, however the crew sack is then farmed to ensure every passenger who wants fish gets a limit before the crew gets any thing, and I make a big deal about it so that hopefully my tips get a little bigger.
the best advice I have for passengers who are gifting fish is to put them in the sack they are supposed to be in before I start cutting. when fish come up missing it is almost always an honest mistake.
However with out the specifics it is a difficult call on what should be done, however if I am working and I make a mistake I would always prefer the passenger talk to me first before talking to my capitain. If the crew is rude or does not seem to care than than make a complaint to the capitain. Some deckhands simply suck it is a fact. however no boat owner wants to loose a passenger over a sculpin and a starry.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
How do you know your buddy didn't " re-gift" the sculpy?

ECMFab

A Salt Weapon
Mar 24, 2008
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Ethan
Boat
Sold her :(
And there you have it... Thats what should be done. Thanks for the input OBfishguy..

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
you should of talked to the deckhand first. if he was stealing fish then i dont know but its not worth losing your job over a starry, then again he was keeping blue perch so he was probably needed it.

Jaydog

Jul 18, 2005
San Diego
Name
Jay
Boat
Mako 19'
Thank you Justin you saved me some time on this one. Deckhands are personable too so don't be afraid to ask them what the deal is. Simple mistake? Watching your ass for limits? Confused with all the GAs? If the deckhand is a prick then go see the Capt.

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
justin
i put the fish in my buddy's bag.
there was less than 10 fish total in his bag.
he did not give the fish away he wanted it.
there was not one person with a full limit on the boat.
i keep 0 fisk on that trip.
the deckhand took 2 fish from a customers bag.

Jan 8, 2007
Clairemont
Name
Todd
Boat
65x20
I think you should have talked to the deckhand first about it, why not give him a fair shot before talking to his management.

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
todd
I only went to the guy that chartered the boat and told him.
stealing is stealing your fish today, what next your reels?

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
I went out fishing with a friend on a local so. ca. boat he chartered. I gave all the fish i cought to one of the other guys on the trip who was not catching much. here it the bad part, after all the fish were cleaned and the crew was finisher i was out on the back of the boat and saw a starry rock fish on the deck next to a sack that a deckhand had been keeping some blue perch in for himself. I new i had cought it and thought to my self it must have droped, so no big deal i picked it up and went to put it in the deckhands sack. when i opened the sack there was a scolpin in it that i know was also one of the fish i gave to my friend. i was the only person on the boat to catch a scolpin that day so i am sure it was mine. i told the person that invited me to fish with him and he was going to talk to the owner of the boat.
what would you have done?i will not give out the name of the boat or landing. i will let my friend do that after he talks to the owner of the boat.
the question is what would you do?
I think you should have talked to the deckhand first about it, why not give him a fair shot before talking to his management.
todd
I only went to the guy that chartered the boat and told him.
stealing is stealing your fish today, what next your reels?

Hey Steve,
Todd answered your fucking question "what would you do?"

Why the hell are you arguing with him.
He stated what he would do........... drop it.

You want to know what I would do?
Well......... I wouldn't go on an internet message board and snivel about a couple of fucking rock fish that I could buy for 99 cents a pound at the Asian market down the street from me. I'd have a Coke and a smile and be glad that I could spend the day on the water. I'd be thankful that I was able to catch a couple fish. That's what I'd do.

Thanks for asking.

FrankO

Oct 30, 2006
San Diego
Name
F
Boat
14' Gregor
That sounds to me like the no balls way of handling it. I would've taken the fish back and talked to him and his boss about it.
Stealing is stealing and if you can't trust an employee w/a few fish than how the hell can you trust him w/anything valuble. Fuck that...

Hey Steve,
Todd answered your fucking question "what would you do?"

Why the hell are you arguing with him.
He stated what he would do........... drop it.

:Fondle: You want to know what I would do?
Well......... I wouldn't go on an internet message board and snivel about a couple of fucking rock fish that I could buy for 99 cents a pound at the Asian market down the street from me. I'd have a Coke and a smile and be glad that I could spend the day on the water. I'd be thankful that I was able to catch a couple fish. That's what I'd do.

Thanks for asking.

Mamoo

Fishing Prodigy
Jan 15, 2006
Newport Beach
Name
Matt
Boat
Float tube
As a Deckhand I know how difficult it can be to sort fish for people who have given them away, especially when the fish are in one sack to be added to another sack
Recently limits have come into play so as a crewmember I always put together the biggest best limit for the customer and the extra goes in the crew sack, however the crew sack is then farmed to ensure every passenger who wants fish gets a limit before the crew gets any thing, and I make a big deal about it so that hopefully my tips get a little bigger.
the best advice I have for passengers who are gifting fish is to put them in the sack they are supposed to be in before I start cutting. when fish come up missing it is almost always an honest mistake.
However with out the specifics it is a difficult call on what should be done, however if I am working and I make a mistake I would always prefer the passenger talk to me first before talking to my capitain. If the crew is rude or does not seem to care than than make a complaint to the capitain. Some deckhands simply suck it is a fact. however no boat owner wants to loose a passenger over a sculpin and a starry.
cant agree more with this statement. as a deckie i too know it is easy to get stuff mixed up. no, i never put peoples fish in my bag but still, its easy to forget stuff when you have a lot going on around you.

Jig Stick

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 21, 2008
Encinitas
Name
Ken
Boat
Cabo 216...Sold
what would you have done?
i will not give out the name of the boat or landing. i will let my friend do that after he talks to the owner of the boat.
The first thing I would do is blow it off.
The second thing I would do is run spell check.