What would be on your "wish list" from PENN?

PENN

gary760

Almost A Member
Apr 4, 2013
UK
Name
GARY
Boat
none
The fathom lever drags are outstanding,thrust bearings and stainless US made gears at an unbeatable price.
For me (I am hard to please and this is only wishing) yup a slightly taller slightly narower (than the 15) 20 size would be great and a regular (between a 12 and 16vsx size) 40/45 size rather than narrow
And continue to focus on engineering quality rather than gimicky (marketing) features that we have got along quite well without for years.
Oh and the ld2 colours are just great for this old guy.

Upvote 0

Raisuli

Almost A Member
May 17, 2011
South OC
Name
Tom
Boat
None
I'm old school. I'd like to see Jig Masters made right here in America again. I have an American made Jig Master that is an excellent reel.

We own 3 Baja Specials and 2 Saltiga 50's. I cannot say one is better than the other.

While I have tremendous success with Daiwa, I'd rather buy American. Again, I'm old school.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I'm old school. I'd like to see Jig Masters made right here in America again. I have an American made Jig Master that is an excellent reel.

We own 3 Baja Specials and 2 Saltiga 50's. I cannot say one is better than the other.

While I have tremendous success with Daiwa, I'd rather buy American. Again, I'm old school.

Just to clarify, in the premium-grade models that would align with Saltigas, the PENN Torque series is indeed "Made in USA".

Reactions: Raisuli and JTH
Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
More left hand reels! Penn has a few in the Squall series which I appreciate, but only level wind fathoms? Specifically, I want a Fathom 25N star drag left hand for throwing iron and also Fathom lever drag 25N and 40N 2 speed in left hand! Heck, 60 size 2 speed as well since it's my wish list...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    The 7:1 40HS Fathom in two speed with the lower gear being 3:1.

Reactions: fishfish
    Upvote 0

Raisuli

Almost A Member
    May 17, 2011
    South OC
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    Hi tunanorth,

Thanks for the info. We have a 30VW , a 16 VSX, and 3 Baja Specials which are, I believe, second generation models that have an additional ball bearing. They along with my very trusty Jigmaster are my favorite reels along with our 2 Saltigas. And we have a USA red side Senator for trolling. I believe it's a 6/0. I always buy American if I can. And I'll buy another Jigmaster because I'm holding out hope that Penn will make them right here in the USA once again.

Many years ago while aboard the Producer we ran in to a school of bluefin. I landed one of about 50 pounds. I was a novice then and was using a very expensive Daiwa spinner that was more than up for the job. After I got him aboard, I tied into another using a Daiwa Sealine. I fought that beast for at least a half hour before losing it. The boat's captain stood next to me while I was fighting it. He was lamenting loss of fish due to poor equipment. He told me that he had wished his fishermen had been using Jigmasters. That was one heck of an endorsement coming from a fishing expert. So I bought one. I've caught a lot of fish with it.

The Saltiga is a fantastic reel. I boated a 100 pound yellowfin with it at Guadalupe many years ago. But were you to ask me which is a better reel: Baja Special or Saltiga, I couldn't give you an answer because they're both extremely well made yet the Baja Special is about 200 bucks less expensive. I've grabbed a Baja Special rigged outfit when we've hit tuna schools never giving it a second thought.

About ten years ago when small 2-speeds became all the rage, I couldn't see utility in one. Keep in mind that that is merely my opinion and only my opinion. I know others see it a whole lot differently. But give me a Baja Special with 4.25:1, 40lb P-line and I'm big tuna ready. I could probably pull the Red Rooster III with a Baja Special.

Cal told me that the 16VSX is one of the best reels on the market. He said that were I to rig it correctly, it has cow tuna written all over it. He also praised the 30VW as more than cow capable.

We fish only Penn and Daiwa reels. But when I see "Made in USA" on a product, that's the way I head. And I do think that we're going to see the return of foreign made products of American companies returning home where they should have never left.

I have zero hesitation about recommending fishermen going with a Baja Special.

Reactions: falconer
    Upvote 0

Raisuli

Almost A Member
    May 17, 2011
    South OC
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    As far as what I wish Penn would produce, I'd go with nothing. I'm all set. I could fish the rest of my life with what I now have: a Jigmaster, Baja Special, 16VSX, and 30 VW.

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    I think I'm set too! An old 50 wide, regular 50 (baker frame) 2 20's (both baker framed), all worked by Kens custom reels, and Cal. Penn 114, 113HLW, 2 500's, and a GLS30, and a 525.Throw in a couple of the old Pro-Gears (454, and 2500 pacifica). My last purchase, a Torque 40 NLDS. Love the products, try only for made in USA stuff. Even though everyone told me that the imported sister to the torque was just about as good, and half the money, I still chose the USA made. Some of the old standards just need to stay home.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

GClev

Newbie for Life
    Nov 21, 2015
    LA County
    Name
    Gary C
    Boat
    HMS Hotspur
    From the gray haired guys with more diesel and 18 days to burn: lower low gears in the 50 and 70.

One to One. Or how about 0.9 to One?

Wouldn't that mean a smaller diameter main gear and a larger pinion? Hmmmm.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I'd like to see relevant drag specs/rating. Specifically on the Fathom LD series.

There's drag, heavy, can barely push the lever to full, binding handle.

Then, there's usable, relevant drag.

Upvote 0

Jeff D.

Almost A Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Jeff Davis
    Boat
    Home built 18'
    12VSX Narrow !!!! That casts well. Penn is late moving on this

Baby Baja with same drag but with stainless sleeve & reverse ratchet gear machined into sleeve.

Better designed anti reverse for Baja.
    Starting with a stainless sleeve with integral ratchet This could be offered in upgrade kit to check the level of interest & keep the present cost on the Baja's prior to doing it to all new ones....Jeff

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    12VSX Narrow !!!! That casts well. Penn is late moving on this

Baby Baja with same drag but with stainless sleeve & reverse ratchet gear machined into sleeve.

Better designed anti reverse for Baja.
    Starting with a stainless sleeve with integral ratchet This could be offered in upgrade kit to check the level of interest & keep the present cost on the Baja's prior to doing it to all new ones....Jeff
    Wouldn't a 12vsx narrow pretty much just be TRQ40n or 25n?

Reactions: tanner.s
    Upvote 0

Jeff D.

Almost A Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Jeff Davis
    Boat
    Home built 18'
    Wouldn't a 12vsx narrow pretty much just be TRQ40n or 25n?
    Absolutely not.
    Neither of those 2 Reels are going to have the same long term durability when used at high drag settings. Or the capacity to deal with the heat generated at these settings year after year without issue.

The 2 Reels mentioned are excellent Reels but of a lighter duty nature when comparedto the 12VSX.
    This can most easily seen when comparing bearing & or spool shafts size along with the thickness of the frame & side plates....Jeff

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Latest posts