Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report, Info and nice fish Don. Always see what they're biting! One trip fishing the damn pens for footballs, one guy must have caught 15-20 almost instantly. I got bit off, and while tying a new hook on, noticed a small scissors on a neck chain. He'd pin a dine on his hook, gently hold, then cut the tips of the tails off. I tried w/dykes and IT' WORKED! LOL
    YEP the hottest bait in the water soon as it hit=HOOKUP!
    Thought I'd seen it all since 1950. HA! Never stop learning!

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    I think you’ve shown us before but can you explain your method with photos?
    I really like this idea for the lighter jigs and line. Reminds me of a speed jigging post I saw as well.
    regards
    Scott
    Just use a shorter version than what’s in my avatar

Upvote 0

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jim Berghauser
    Boat
    Na
    They were in the daytime. The smaller 160 gram was the ticket, but at night they were biting on the larger 250 gram models too. Best to bring it all and see what’s working that day.
    You mentioned that in the daytime they were biting the 60 and 80 lb. fluro well, but not the 200+ lb. fluro. Did you tie the 60/80 lb fluro straight to the lure? How did you rig the flat fall for best action and bite success?

Upvote 0

feeshkilla

Since 2009
    May 27, 2009
    SD/EAST CNTY
    Name
    SAM P
    Boat
    60ft, rubber raft, "SINKER"
    Took my first tuna trip of the year on the Polaris Supreme, some guys did really really well and a lot of guys blanked. Overall we had 30 fish from 50 - 60 pounds for the 24 anglers on a 1.5 day trip. One guy had 7 of them, another had 6, and I had 5 (handed one of those off). I had five only because I watched what those two guys were doing and replicated their approach late in the day, finally getting my first fish of the trip at 4 pm. I'm not saying this formula is going work tomorrow or whenever, just saying that being flexible and changing one's method based upon the current situation can make all the difference.

First of all, 29 of the 30 fish were caught on flatfalls, with only one fish on a bait with sinker rig. The fish reacted to our chum only a handful of times, with only one being hooked (and lost) on the flyline. For the most part these fish were deep, 200 to 360 feet down, and they wanted flat falls exclusively. I couldn't buy a bite with other deep dropping lures.

Most of the fish were caught in the day, best biters were between 4 pm and 8 pm. The 160 gram flatfalls, in either the Katy Perry or sardine finish were working great, especially on the slide. 80%+ of the bites on the flatfall were on the sink, and the fish were line sensitive in the daytime. In the daytime they were biting the 60 and 80 lb. fluro well, but not the 200+ lb. fluro. At night using 300 lb. leader wasn't an issue, and a larger flatfalls worked fine. I'll throw in another opinion too, I believe the bluefin don't care if the flatfall is illuminated or not. For thousands of years these fish have evolved to consume enormous quantities of bait at night that aren't glowing in the dark. I had a captain whom I respect tell me that we're wasted our time lighting up our flatfalls instead of using that time working the lures in the zone, so I stopped with the flashlights and illuminations years ago and spend more time with hooks in the strike zone rather than under lights. Since then I've caught more fish in the dark on non-illuminated flatfalls than before.

One of the problems a few guys had on the flatfalls was being bit through with 60 lb. fluro in the daytime, which is a problem. There were a whole bunch of those lures bit off, but at least they were being bit. I was lucky and landed all four of my bites on the 60 lb. fluro. The heavy line in the daytime didn't work, but the fish were not line shy at all in the dark.

Captain Aliyar is one hard working and fishy dude. Very impressed with his drive to put us on the fish and his determination to find the school that wanted to bite. His crew was super helpful and friendly, did a great job, I would definitely ride with that crew again. Hope this helps you guys heading out this weekend.

View attachment 1275483

View attachment 1275484
    Beautiful Fish! Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    30' Albemarle
    You mentioned that in the daytime they were biting the 60 and 80 lb. fluro well, but not the 200+ lb. fluro. Did you tie the 60/80 lb fluro straight to the lure? How did you rig the flat fall for best action and bite success?
    A 3’ leader directly to the lure. Pretty simple. No special rigging, but your reel needs to be able to allow the lure to fall effortlessly with no drag on the free fall.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    A 3’ leader directly to the lure. Pretty simple. No special rigging, but your reel needs to be able to allow the lure to fall effortlessly with no drag on the free fall.
    That 160 size sardine FF is deadly during the day.

539604D9-6A0A-49F3-9A71-5B16D322A4C6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    Those are BKK hooks no? I like the hook, but have been concerned about the tiny barb. Judging by the FF, that's not a concern!
    I believe they’re Cavitu, it’s a Japanese brand. It let me horse in a couple of 80s in about 15 minutes a piece, so no problems at all. I had a 3rd at color which I lost to a hook bending out but I’m pretty sure the hook fatigued after the deckie had a hard time pulling the hook on the second fish.

Reactions: aguachico
    Upvote 0

Crash

Feb 27, 2004
    Mountain View CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Robert Young
    Boat
    20' Skippy
    I was on the trip before you... this was extremely evident, I owuld fish with Aliyar anytime.

Captain Aliyar is one hard working and fishy dude. Very impressed with his drive to put us on the fish and his determination to find the school that wanted to bite

Upvote 0

huntconrad

Apr 3, 2020
    Nor CAl
    Name
    Hunt Conrad
    Boat
    22 foot whitewater jetcraft
    With the assist hooks, do you add a heavy split ring and attach to it or directly to the ring on the lure? Also are you using two smaller or just one smaller or the same size from the eye and same question...split ring or direct?

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Latest report says mostly 40-60lb BFT being caught. Latest tackle recommendation is 30lb test + small flat falls.

Anyone know if this still the 160-180g or have they moved even smaller to 80-120g? Also, are the BFT brand aware? Doesn't make sense that Shimano's are the only flat-fall style jigs to get bit. If so, we better make sure we're using Shimano rods and reels, too.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    Was out Thursday and I had good success with generic flatfalls in Katy Perry pattern. Size was 130 to 160.
    So the BFT weren’t playing favs with Shimano
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0