PENN

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Took my first tuna trip of the year on the Polaris Supreme, some guys did really really well and a lot of guys blanked. Overall we had 30 fish from 50 - 60 pounds for the 24 anglers on a 1.5 day trip. One guy had 7 of them, another had 6, and I had 5 (handed one of those off). I had five only because I watched what those two guys were doing and replicated their approach late in the day, finally getting my first fish of the trip at 4 pm. I'm not saying this formula is going work tomorrow or whenever, just saying that being flexible and changing one's method based upon the current situation can make all the difference.

First of all, 29 of the 30 fish were caught on flatfalls, with only one fish on a bait with sinker rig. The fish reacted to our chum only a handful of times, with only one being hooked (and lost) on the flyline. For the most part these fish were deep, 200 to 360 feet down, and they wanted flat falls exclusively. I couldn't buy a bite with other deep dropping lures.

Most of the fish were caught in the day, best biters were between 4 pm and 8 pm. The 160 gram flatfalls, in either the Katy Perry or sardine finish were working great, especially on the slide. 80%+ of the bites on the flatfall were on the sink, and the fish were line sensitive in the daytime. In the daytime they were biting the 60 and 80 lb. fluro well, but not the 200+ lb. fluro. At night using 300 lb. leader wasn't an issue, and a larger flatfalls worked fine. I'll throw in another opinion too, I believe the bluefin don't care if the flatfall is illuminated or not. For thousands of years these fish have evolved to consume enormous quantities of bait at night that aren't glowing in the dark. I had a captain whom I respect tell me that we're wasted our time lighting up our flatfalls instead of using that time working the lures in the zone, so I stopped with the flashlights and illuminations years ago and spend more time with hooks in the strike zone rather than under lights. Since then I've caught more fish in the dark on non-illuminated flatfalls than before.

One of the problems a few guys had on the flatfalls was being bit through with 60 lb. fluro in the daytime, which is a problem. There were a whole bunch of those lures bit off, but at least they were being bit. I was lucky and landed all four of my bites on the 60 lb. fluro. The heavy line in the daytime didn't work, but the fish were not line shy at all in the dark.

Captain Aliyar is one hard working and fishy dude. Very impressed with his drive to put us on the fish and his determination to find the school that wanted to bite. His crew was super helpful and friendly, did a great job, I would definitely ride with that crew again. Hope this helps you guys heading out this weekend.

bft april 27 2021.jpg

flatfalls beat up.jpg

Last edited:
Isaltyvair1980
Isaltyvair1980
Fantastic report!! Gonna keep all this in mind on my 3 day 5/28. Thanks !!
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Great report Thanks! I'm heading out on Shogun May 19-23 Can't Wait!

Upvote 0

Jimmyz

Jan 4, 2021
San Diego, CA
Name
Miguel
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301
Great Info, this is super helpful for those of us heading out soon! I'm on my way out tonight, so I will take all your points under advisement. Thanks

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Great post, one of the best, thanks !!

One thing I immediately noticed was how he rigged his Flat Falls. 2 hooks on the bottom only nothing on the top. This is a key factor in not getting chewed off. When hooked only by the 2 rear hooks that greatly increases the odds of leader ending up outside the mouth.
Something to consider.
Walt

Mike in Murrieta

Looking for a female boat owner into fat men
  • Apr 16, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Nope
    First, congrats on getting the fish in the boat. I pay attention to what is working and adapt as well.
    Solid report on what was working and when and what didn't work.
    Thanks

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Grats on the trip!

I'll throw in another opinion too, I believe the bluefin don't care if the flatfall is illuminated or not. For thousands of years these fish have evolved to consume enormous quantities of bait at night that aren't glowing in the dark.

Thought the idea was to attract and hook by have everyone working the glows together. Not so much a single glow jig vs non-glow jig. Anyways.. good to hear another perspective.

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Fantastic write up. That is what BD is all about. 80% of bites on the sink and getting bit off a lot on 60lb is a perfect setup for bridling the flatfalls. I don't know why more people aren't trying it, but I guarantee you will double your bite to land ratio. You will miss a few fish on the retrieve especially if the fish are under 100#, but because the circle hook sets in the corner every time, you don't get bit off, or rarely anyway. Even more important if you are using 60lb line. Even on the retrieve, most of the bft will swallow the lure and turn before you can react, they swim 40mph, we definitely don't crank that fast :).

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Fantastic write up. That is what BD is all about. 80% of bites on the sink and getting bit off a lot on 60lb is a perfect setup for bridling the flatfalls. I don't know why more people aren't trying it, but I guarantee you will double your bite to land ratio. You will miss a few fish on the retrieve especially if the fish are under 100#, but because the circle hook sets in the corner every time, you don't get bit off, or rarely anyway. Even more important if you are using 60lb line. Even on the retrieve, most of the bft will swallow the lure and turn before you can react, they swim 40mph, we definitely don't crank that fast :).
    Leaving Sunday and plan to utilize your bridle method—especially after seeing this report. I’ll report back if I can get any fish to cooperate.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Shogun
    I think you’ve shown us before but can you explain your method with photos?
    I really like this idea for the lighter jigs and line. Reminds me of a speed jigging post I saw as well.
    regards
    Scott

Reactions: huntconrad
    Upvote 0