Offshore What worked BFT Searcher 3Day...........

PENN

Castlepadre

Almost A Member
Jan 28, 2020
Costa Mesa
Name
Mateo
Boat
WorldCat
Got two over 100 and a good number medium grade. Other did well with sinker rigs and one was on a chrome Tady A1, rest on these. The SK has marked from two trips and was money as was the knife jigs. Direct tie 100lb at night and 80lb in day. Mike, Armando, Ryan, Sean and Shane were awesome on the Searcher. Mark your line so you know 20 fathoms,30 fathoms,40 fathoms and 50 fathoms. Food was solid from Mike and Dan. Stoked again!

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

jig77

Almost A Member
Jun 18, 2012
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
Mako 20'
Awesome catch! Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to write up a report. What weight are those jigs? Did you fish different weighted lures daytime from nighttime?

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

Castlepadre

Almost A Member
Jan 28, 2020
Costa Mesa
Name
Mateo
Boat
WorldCat
Awesome catch! Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to write up a report. What weight are those jigs? Did you fish different weighted lures daytime from nighttime?
There was little wind so fished 200gram knife jigs, last trip was windy so fished 360gram knife jigs. I think the SK was 300G. During the day lighter line (80lb) and lighter jigs overall. SK was nighttime killer not so much daylight. Also during day smaller shiny jigs (lady AA,A!, Chrome 6X) worked well during the day. Colt sniper would have well but I stayed mostly on 80lb so the sniper wasn't as effective. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
I know that orange lure in the picture very well - was so tempted to use it while you were sleeping but did not( never would - just thought of it). I was on the searcher trip with you and was next to you many times in the bow watching you hook up - especially the one night where you got 4 hookups. Should have taken the hand off from you when you first said you want it.

Those lures are hard to get. Think I will get mine arriving for my trips in July.

It was a great trip on the Searcher. Only down side was not sleeping for the 3 days as there were fish around the whole time. I ended up falling asleep at my computer doing the zoom thing at work and what woke me up was the BONK sounds the computer made when my hands collapsed on the keyboard.

Solid crew. Guess you must have taken your picture with your cell phone as my pics went over the side when they lost the boat camera.

One of my highlights was watching the 3 young kids ( 11 or 12 years old) battling the big bluefin. For readers, all 3 got big BFT and did very well on the rail. The crew was excellent in helping them and all of us out.

C
Castlepadre
I wouldn't have minded and those Kids were fun. One kept saying hot rail when we were snagging bait. See ya next time. Phil
Upvote 0