What went wrong with this boat?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Azarkon, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    The worst broaching boat I’ve ever been on was a poorly trimmed Blackman Billfisher. That thing would go from 25kt to zero with a 90 deg turn thrown in. And this was in a 3’ 15 second ground swell going downhill.

Bayrunners are known to bow steer. You learn to feel it coming and back off the throttle. I know someone who broached his somewhere in the Gulf of Calif. He went from going just fine to a complete stop, boat upside down, and swimming in like 2 seconds.

Radons/Davises: I don’t think it’s possible to broach those things. Amazing what you can do in those hulls.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    J-Dog likes this.
  2. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    I have watched this video ten times...it looks like he was getting his bow pushed down by the swell from behind, and then slowed down thinking that the swell would pass under him, (but instead it pushed him further up and forward, and into the next swell. By slowing down, it allowed the swell to push his stern up even more, and the bow further down, resulting in the capsizing....i think in this situation, accelerating would have gotten him further down that swell, basically outrunning it, preventing the stern from rising more, enough where the bow would not have been pushed fully underwater, but he only has a few seconds to make the needed correction, which obviously he didn't do.

aguachico likes this.
  3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Radons are made specifically for this purpose: to run fast and stable in a large following sea. So yeah, I'm not surprised. They are almost perfect boats for day trips in California. I say almost, because I don't think they are advertised as not sinking, which could be a problem since should a boat go down, you want it to not sink so that you can hold onto it while waiting for rescue. Also, they have relatively bad fuel efficiency.

4. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    There is more to the story, Been a lot or armchair QBing going on @ another site. i'll update this on a bit.

5. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    I took the stuff shown below from another site. I DO NOT present it as fact and HAVE NOT vetted it in any way. That said it seems that it may be closer to good info that most of what I have seen thrown around on the web. I watched the video couple dozen times and IMO the boat was bow heavy - from fish or water I have no idea. There was a lot of talk about Jupiter Inlet from people who frequent the area. According to them it was an outgoing tide and the wave the boat went over just before burying the nose and the wave the bow buried into were standing waves. That is caused by the outgoing flow of water through the inlet against the wave action from the sea coming into the inlet. Sort of like bottom structure in a river that causes the water to rise up. A standing wave does move but not like the swell energy on the open ocean. A standing wave progresses forward at a slower pace.

Second quote was from the surfer who gave the captain his board at the end of the jetty in the video. Third quote was from the kid who shot the video.

"Boat pilot/owner's name appears to be Dave Sanderson."

"Based on further notes and comments, the boat WAS low in the front due to fish load. " sam_gb_123 is the user(and local 13 year old student) that handed the swimming captain the surfboard and has an interview with channel 12(cbs) news west palm beach

"KCadby here...
    Kind of busy here but my friend steered me to this thread...
    I can say with 100% certainty that yes he was out of the throttle before the wave pushed him into and under the next swell..."

"It seems the captain of the vessel commented on the Instagram post. he indicated, if true, that he was experiencing a failure of trim tabs, one up one down, and lost power right as he fell down the face of that wave. "

6. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    The Jupiter inlet can be a real hairy bitch, especially with a tropical storm right offshore, as was the case here. As for the person questioning the drone being there, this was an inlet, between the jetties , a popular place to fly drones, especially when a heavy sea is incoming. They are watching for something like this. A whole lot of boats, some over 50 ft, have come to grief in this inlet, many piloted by experienced boaters.

7. civicsurfer

civicsurfer Member

Name:
    Jo
    Boat:
    Ranger 216 Cuddy Cabin boat, Ranger 335V bass boat, Bass Hunter Bass Baby boat
    That Lula Ortiz reporter is hot.

8. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    the" pucker up factor" going through some passes in the Gulf is substantial at times.

9. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    FYI, the Jupiter Inlet is on the Atlantic, not the Gulf. Much worse.

10. DaveHNL

DaveHNL Newbie

Name:
    David Dowling
    Boat:
    Grady White
    I owned a 25' Glacier Bay for 7 years and made ~44 trips from Oahu to Molokai & Lanai during that time. Catamarans handle differently from mono hulls - if your downhill pontoon went underwater, you were heading down the swell at too much of an perpendicular angle. You need to head down large swells straight at first, then you can make a turn and surf the swell the same way you would on a surfboard.
    I have come back from Molokai to Oahu dozens of times in 15' seas with no problems.
    Catamarans are really fun in large seas once you learn how to drive them - you can surf a 15' swell for miles at a time and hardly burn any fuel.