What we call the "PROP WASH" By Gaji Lures

Discussion in 'Home Built Fishing Lures' started by Gaji Lures, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Aloha Everyone!

This head, along with several others are headed to the East Coast. This is what we call our "PROP WASH" pour. This 9" head is a blue prop wash and is what we call the "Stubby Flat Face." This one has 4 jet holes and is dressed in the holographic frost.

Hope you like it!

Attached Files:

2. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    Nice!! The colors are amazing.

3. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Awesome Brah! you know how I feel about that blue too. Nice work Allan.

4. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Mahalo John! Did you start to pour yet? Waiting to see what kind of magic will come out of Guam!

Thats why this blue was posted! LOL!
    Turned all day yesterday and today. It is :hali_olutta: time!
    Mahalo as always brah!

5. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    Still gathering materials, just ordered resin dye from ebay. Also having hard time finding brass tubes for the inserts (found them on ebay too). I want to have a collection ready before mahi start running thick on January.

6. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Good luck with finding your supplies. There are many selling all kinds of stuff from resin to brass tubing to dyes etc. Price em all out before you buy, as there isn't anything out there that is so sacred, that you wouldn't be able to find multiple sellers.

7. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Brass C260 Seamless Round Tubing - SmallParts.com

8. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Keep plugging away John!

On this site and in this forum you going meet "SOME" good people. People willing to share not only their knowledge but, their resources as well. You will come to know the ones that are supportive of your efforts.

I found the member of your latest resource help, to be the "Best" when it comes to a lure maker and all around helpful, good guy! Yup, Mike "El Capo" is straight up and good guy all the way. Out of respect for Mike, you should PM him should you have any questions. More than sure that he will PM you back with good, sound advice!

9. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Your just too kind Allan. You should come visit before it gets too cold and you turn into a Primo beer ice cube.LOL

10. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Brah, supposed to snow tonight! Good timing, as the Uso's coming to Boise this evening. We going be doing one Umu for Thanksgiving! No, not Imu, Umu. Thats how the Samoans cook underground but unlike the Hawaiians, the Samoans cook above ground. Turkey of course, pork butt, Turkey tails and laulaus! And of course, plenty of :hali_olutta:

Looking to visit when you and Crow can give me a ride on the "Pimp Wagon!" LOL!!!

11. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    Thank you Alan and Mike for all your help. I made a few heads with the regular polyester resin (non clear stuff) to practice with catalyst ratios and dye color. I am finding the dye coloring tricky because I don't get the color I wanted once the resin cures, but the added pearl makes the results so much more pleasing to the the eyes. Will post finished lures soon. (tring to convert my drill press to a laythe)LOL And yes, pouring resin is an addiction, every small container I find, I see some kind of mold. My wife is even getting into it because I made a pink and gold lure for her.

12. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    No problem John!

About the non clear stuff, maybe you can make your prototypes to be molded with this resin. Gives you a chance to create your desired shapes but, keep in mind that when making prototypes for future molding, stay a bit larger with the prototypes, so as to allow further cutting/shaping and sanding, when you remove the head from the mold.

Don't know what kind of dyes you are using but, measure the resin per ounce and log down the number of dye drops per ounce of resin. I have writings all over my walls, indicating the amount of drops per resin if I want the head to be darker or lighter. For instance using a blue dye, I can determine by the amount of dye drops to use for say an "ice blue" as opposed to a "deep blue." Gotta keep experimenting with dye colors and also, the combination to make certain colors, by mixing certain colors together. A great purple is 5 drops of blue and 4 drops of red per 1 ounce of resin.

Funny how you said that you are now on the hunt for all types of container, tubes, cups etc. LOL!!! Brah, it just gets worse! LOL!!! Glad to hear that your wife is also supportive of your addiction, as my wife too, is always on the hunt for me when it comes to possibilities for future prototype containers.

John, glad you purchased Jims LM 101/102 and if there is anything that I can help you with, PM me at anytime! Take care Brah!