What was the best day fishing in your life? Post photos if you have some. NO LYING!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by rabristol, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Laukia

Laukia boss

Name:
    Dave R
    Boat:
    28' Carolina Classic/Pursuit 2350
    I've come to the conclusion in my advancing years that it's not necessarily the biggest or the most fish. I guess it's those same advancing years that make this trip memorable because I can still remember it clearly! Thanks for the opportunity to write it down before it just blurs into the past trips of yesteryear.........

It was this last May, my 61st. birthday. It was the first time chasing Salmon in over 5 years with no shows for a couple years and closures. Also good to fish with my buddy again after a couple years of falling out of sorts. It was especially sweet for me because 2011 found my calendar with 41 days I spent in the hospital, clinics or various Dr. offices. That was vs. a whopping 2 days on my boats. One was a whale hunt, the other was basically a trip to just run the motors and I threw the iron a couple times just for shits and giggles for 2 mackerel, my years total for 2011 (and one grey whale sighted for the wife).

We had a good trip so far that day this May. We had 3 nice grade salmon on the boat and needed the go home devil fish because it was blowing 20, white caps and getting to be a bitch to keep the gear straight. All three fish came on the same flasher/hootchie rig so I changed over to another same kind and almost instantly had a drive by. Set it back out there thinking we might have to pull the plug on this trip if the wind picked up any stronger. Then BINGO we're on! All three of the previous fish were feeding on krill and hooked up high in the water column. Really hot, line burnin' fish. But, this fish was something different than any salmon I have ever seen. It acted like a f'n wahoo. It was all over the surface. No jumps like a salmon or dorado, but it was lighting up the surface. It was throwing the flasher around, making these rooster tails as it changed 180 degree directions and was one seriously pissed off salmon. I'll bet a dozen times it was greyhounding, thrashing right on the surface. I asked my buddy, "Did you see that!?" He was trying to keep the boat straight after bringing up the riggers and he didn't see it at first, but after looking the direction I was.........the fish somersaulted again with the flasher and hootchie flying. "Holy Shit," he muttered. I think we were both wondering how long that barbless hook was going to hold. I was waiting for the line to start peeling.......but the fish was just laying there, sideways in the wind/current. Then I realized what was happening. "Fuck.....it's fouled!" Even through the white caps I could see the color of the fish still right on the surface a good 50 yards out. It was a Mexican standoff. I couldn't pull any harder without breaking it off. The fish was just laying in the wind, the line slowly coming off the reel. "We're gonna chase it down!", I yelled as I throttled up the kicker and pointed where to steer from the helm. I never could have caught this fish alone. It took both of us and we both had to have our shit together. We had one chance, no doubt. We circled up on the fish as I gained line back on the reel. As we got close...."Do you still see it?" No, solid white caps........but I still saw the color spot. "Get ready"......as I cut back on the throttle. Paul sees the fish right then and get's the net in the water just as the fish sees the boat alongside. I could see the red hook just above the anal fin as the fish turned and dove.........literally right into the net. It almost tore the net out of Paul's hands, but he hoisted it over the rail. We both looked in disbelief as the hook was just laying there next to the fish on the deck. We looked at each other and knowingly smiled and hightailed it out of there.

All our trips are the best to come.

[​IMG]

2. xHELMETNUTSACKx

xHELMETNUTSACKx DFG's most wanted

Name:
    Mr. Sack
    Boat:
    Homemade submersible, "Square Grouper"
    you win. all other posts irrelevant. :worship:

3. gernsey

gernsey [img]http://www.bloodydec

Puerto Vallarta Mexico and Channel Islands Ca.
    Name:
    Matt Gerns
    Boat:
    36' uniflite pilot"fresh one",21' anderson greenuogh "Liv alittle"
    I remember a trip or 2 down below the mushroom with you guys.If we had to drink a beer for every fish we caught we would be in a coma.The good old days of filling boxes.I think we are in funky pattern right now,we need things the way they were in 2000-2005 for that steller albie fishing to return.64.4 and purple water.

4. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    As a 10 yr old, catching giant surf perch at Camalu, Baja and having my Dad cook them right there on the beach... Still the best tasting fish in my memories...

5. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
  6. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    I remember not being able to make that trip :rofl: And by next week no BET :2gunsfiring_v1:

My personal favorite was laying the wood to em on the 182 as we caught well over 40 fish that day. 3 times 5 rods bendo, what a cluster. :rofl: That trip on Warpdrive where we got into those big YF (40+) was pretty kick ass as they were pretty big YF for local waters.

7. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
    Kurt, I remember that.

I will look for some more.
    8-29-09 --> WFO YFT 1010-1067 http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/of...8-29-09-1010-1067-knuckle-wfo-yft-report.html remember my dad having a blast too.

8-24-08 --> WFO YFT East Fly http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/of...ifornia/117721-sun-8-24-limits-yft-e-fly.html

7-7-7 (triple 7's) WFO Albies Hidden Bank --> http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/of...sat-7-7-report-limits-albies-hidden-bank.html

8-28-04 WFO Albies Mushroom Bank --> http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/of...10447-toad-albie-limits-shroom-8-28-04-a.html

8. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    I fish target so many species that it's not just one day for me. Depends on what I'm targeting from the surf, to inshore, to offshore, the islands etc.

Locally though, Vince and I had a WFO bite on nice grade dorado out of MDR in 2006. No other boats around. Pretty fun stuff.

Also, probably because it was so close to home too.

j

9. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    a few years ago was with divegod and we were on the BigGame90 on a 5 or 6 day so we headed for Guadalupe and encountered lots of paddy's on the way, I had this daisy chain black and purple teasers and an old cedar plug on it, it was catching the most fish of all the troller set ups, so everyone was running around trying to make something up, a great trip I think I ended up in a couple days, with two each of yellow tail, blue fin, yellow fine and some dorados. we had great weather too, anchored up at Guadalupe chunking at night didn't catch a thing but it was a trip to remember.

10. tightlinemike

tightlinemike Semper Fidelis

Name:
    michael higens
    Boat:
    n/a
    So many to choose but sight casting to sailfish with spinning gear was a blast. Watching a sail pounce on a well placed bait like a cat on a mouse and haul ass is pretty fun. Went 5 out of 7 shots on tailing fish. Great day in Key West.............Mike

Attached Files:

11. thomas490

thomas490 Newbie

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    Striper 192
    Mine was just last year! Me and my Pop, west cove mid morning, double limits of quality WSB in about an hour. Left them schooled up and biting under the boat. If I hadn't have been there, I never would have believed it. Epic day in every sense. We tried repeating it almost exactly one year later (last week) to no avail. In a way, that made last year even more special. Grateful to have these fishing days with my Dad. He will always be my favorite fishing buddy.

Attached Files:

12. HTA

HTA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    It was an early may trip on the Indy in 2007 or 2008. I beleive it was a Big Fish charter and a good group of friends were on the trip along with my father which took me untold hours to convince him to do this trip. Judy had a last minute cancellation and we were able to squeeze my Pops on. At that moment the trip was made for me, 7 days on the water with my father was like a dream come true. The first four days were hit and miss on the yellows and hopful thoughts for tuna at Alijos. That night we made a run back up to shipwreck rock ( I cant remeber if it was at Cedros or Benitos). As we pulled up the call came over the speaker to drop em in. What happened from there on was like a dream for my father. He never fished iron on the yoyo as he was a confirmed bait fisherman but I set him up on an Avet LX 6/4 loaded with 40 and a scrambled egg. Being he had just turned 78 I was keeping a sharp eye on him as the first couple of drops yielded nothing.
    He begged me to put him on bait but I said give me a few more drops before you switch. His next drop resulted in an instant hook up that imediantly pinned him to the rail, he hung on like a pro until the fish had made his run, dropping the reel into low I was suprised how quickly he would bring the fish to gaff which went a personal best 38 lbs! Over the next 6 hours half the time I spent wacthing my father amaze my friends and I as he boated 18 Yellows. When the skipper called it You could see the total satisfaction in my fathers face. This one trip left me and my father with such an incredible number of memories that we share with friends and family. I have to give major kudos to one of the deckhands I beleive his name was Dan, BIG kid for a deckhand but one of the coolest as he took extra time to help keep an eye on my father and was on him every moment he had a fish. It just does not get any better than that.....

13. tightlinemike

tightlinemike Semper Fidelis

Name:
    michael higens
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hey Dan, That is Awesome! Glad you got to hook your dad up and got a memory of a life time. Excellent....Mike

14. scrubber

scrubber true story

Name:
    will
    Boat:
    1936 wilson xt
    302lb.er on The Intrepid. 1st full day of fishing on a New year 10 day and a free return trip. (Watching Choate farm more than one was an added bonus)