Offshore What was the best day fishing in your life? Post photos if you have some. NO LYING!

PENN

rabristol

Jul 1, 2008
San Diego California USA
Name
Rick
Boat
Penn Yan Montego
What was the absolute best fishing day of your life. Throw in a photo or two and NO LYING or my brother in law told me stories. (The more beers they had, the bigger the fish). If you had more than 2 beers wait until your sober haha !

Mine 45 minutes of fishing in San Felipe. We used up all our bait catching 3 fish at a time, I think they were Corvina, but not positive

Upvote 0

Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope
2004 Make a Wish tournament my dad and I along with one of his friend were headed out past the 1010. During my driving shift at about 0230 I was metering lots of squid and things just seemed right. So I shut the boat down and we were only about 35 miles from the point at this time. Grey light came and so did an absolute ripper bite of BET. We ended up getting 14 before the bite was shut down due to boat traffic. The biggest caught by me was 50lbs and none were smaller than 35lbs. Headed back to the docks we hit an absolute WFO bite on YFT on a paddy that were all released. Absolute epic day that I will never forget. Ended up placing 6th and our boat took 3rd place. I wish I had pictures but I'm in the army and stationed far from SoCal. Can't wait to get back on the water.

Upvote 0

Aunty Bessy

Aug 25, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Name
Aunty Bessy
Boat
Blu Ayes
What was the absolute best fishing day of your life. Throw in a photo or two and NO LYING or my brother in law told me stories. (The more beers they had, the bigger the fish). If you had more than 2 beers wait until your sober haha !

Mine 45 minutes of fishing in San Felipe. We used up all our bait catching 3 fish at a time, I think they were Corvina, but not positive

Great fishing report numb skull! Dont you know we fisherman all lie anyway on that subject matter... :gaygroup:

Upvote 0

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
mine 4 hour of fishing long beach harbor. Catching 3 fish at a time. I think they were wsb, but not positive.

Upvote 0

garrironman

Feb 23, 2010
sherman oaks calif. u.s.a.
Name
rick garratt
Boat
no
6day trip9-6 to 9-12 2001 went straight to the rocks 54 wahoo all about 55lbs by about 12-30 pm.ten min. later mother load of yft al 55 to 60 lbs 2 at about 100 lbs. total for the day was 289 yft 54 wahoo 20 dorado 15 yellows. woke up early , fish were still there, and we put another 150 tuna on board. trolling on last day we got news of twin towers crashes and our high crashed.that was the best day

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
we fucking killed them........

what do I win?

images

Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Idyllwild, CA USA
www.bluepacifictackle.com
Name
John
Boat
not mine
54 yft on the ridge in one day, not really big fish largest was 40lbs which was the last one of the day. The coolest part was the Whale Shark the hung our with the boat most of the day. I thought it might have something to do with the blue bottom on the Vag.

Attachments

• doc 027.jpg
    doc 027.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

Headshot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
Caught a great buzz from this beer that I brewed a few months ago! LOL
Will post a pic of the fish when I find it in photo bucket!

1190.jpg

1186.jpg

381.jpg

332.jpg

448.jpg

Upvote 0

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
My most memorable day fishing was the day I kayaked La Jolla Shores trolling a live mac in search of what I hoped to be my first yellowtail. I was with BDer Raffman55 (Tom) and I was new to fishing La Jolla when my reel went off! I had my brand new avet that I had just purchased at Noah's Tackle and grabbed the rod from the holder, arms locked and I was being pulled along for a ride with a little wake behind my yak! Just before getting spooled, the line stopped peeling and I looked up to see Tom paddling over and to see the look on his face. He then made the statement that he hoped it wasn't a thresher shark at the other end of the line! He said that there were reports of threshers being caught here and he hadn't caught one himself yet and suggested I might cut the line.

Since we were targeting yellowtail, I had it in my head that it had to be a yellow on the line! (This was because I was soooo experienced fishing La Jolla for the last 30 minutes!) There was no way I was going to give up and cut the line. Anyone who knows me would know better but this was my first trip fishing with Tom and I think he quickly learned a lot about me that day! So I began to reel it in to see my beloved first yellow. Being in a yak, I was a few inches above the water and with the adrenaline, reeled it in right up to the side of the yak when Mr. T popped up at me out of the water! I jumped back and rocked my kayak back, but due to the stability of my kayak, I didn't roll. On the other hand, the thresher looking me straight in the face made me wish I had rolled backwards in the other direction! I let out a good and loud scream! The line was reeled in so tight and being new to fishing this reel without a coffee grinder, I fumbled to find the release on the reel and worried I'd lose the rod and reel with the thresher! I finally got it done and Mr. T jumped in the air and dove down, taking off at a fast speed splashing water at me. Wow! It was exciting and scary and in the background, I will never forget the look of a white ghost cast across Tom's face as his jaw hung!

He coached me thru what to do as I let the line out and reeled it in and tired Mr. T out. There were a couple of times that as he laid alongside my kayak, he played dead and laid still, not moving, other than the giveaway of his roving eyeball while he held his breath hoping that I thought he was dead. Then he would take a dive and take off again, splashing me as I let out yet another scream!

It wasn't a big shark at all, in fact, it was a baby in size compared to what many have caught. But to me, the thrill as it first took me for the ride leaving the wake and Tom behind was exhilarating and one that I will NEVER forget! Tom helped to gaff it and loaded it on the back of my yak, tying it down for the mile and a half or so paddle back to shore. He tied it so that the head was facing behind me but the tail was running towards the front and alongside my leg. Every once in awhile on the paddle in, the thresher's tail would flinch and slap my thigh. And each time it did, I let out a loud scream! Then both Tom and I would burst into laughter! It was hard to paddle back to shore from laughing so hard. The smile on my face couldn't get any bigger. Once we got to shore, some of the guys congratulated Tom thinking he caught the thresher and didn't believe that I did. Some asked to have their picture taken with me and Mr. T. It was so cool!

The next part that was funny was that I needed to get Mr. T home and I have an SUV. The yak went on top and I folded the seats down inside but needed something to put down inside to protect the carpet. I went to the porter at the hotel who was sweeping the sidewalks and he didn't speak english. I speak VERY broken Spanish so I was doing big hand gestures and saying GRANDE Pesca!! GRANDE! And then I tried to say I needed Grande Bashura bags! He could tell I was excited about something but didn't understand what I needed! I finally reached into his cart, took a few grande sized trash bags, handed him some $ and said gracias amigo!

I stuck the head of the thresher in one end of one bag, then the tail in another bag and kind of rolled it and bent it and stuck in the back of my SUV. As I drove home, so excited and squealing like a girl, I called my mom in NY and told her I had a shark in my car! Wow! Did I ever hear my mom's voice of fear as she called me MARGARET and tried to get me to promise I would NEVER do that again because i could have been eaten or killed by the shark! As she said that, Mr. T flinched bigtime in the bag and it caught me off-guard and I screamed again while I was driving and talking to mom on the phone. She almost had a heart attack! She then stated that she knew I would never make that promise to her to which I responded... this is coming from my mom who at 82 went parasailing in the Carribean! She could have fallen into the ocean and been eaten by a shark! lol She knew I had her! Gotta love your momma! She's the best!

Well that's the story of my most memorable fishing trip. Each trip is always awesome just to be out on the water but this one has to be the highlight of all.

p.s. I was brand new to salt water fishing and this was also my very first take-home fish and first time ever fileting a fish in my life! I took it home and fileted in the front yard. Cooked it up for dinner that night and froze the rest of the steaks and sent overnight mail to my family in NY! What a cool experience!

a t 2.jpg

a t 12.jpg

a t 14.jpg

a t head.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ecole51

Apr 28, 2008
huntington beach
Name
eric
Boat
none
Me (maybe 12 at the time), my brother (10), and my pops took a guided horseback fishing trip out of Gunnison, CO to a lake WAY up there somewhere (can't remember the name) and proceeded to catch a stringer full of brook trout and cook them by the fire that afternoon. Just a day I can't forget, complete with seeing a massive buck on the top of a ridge before leading down to the little lake up in the Rockies somewhere.

Upvote 0

BurningHeart

Wayward Son
Oct 12, 2010
Bakersfield
Name
Joel
Boat
N/A....I wish
Everytime we go fishing is the best time as soon as the line hits the water......no lying.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
1986, I was on my first boat a 1972 24' Skipjack Open Cuddy about 5 miles off Dana Point with my then-girlfriend who was a bit of an exhibitionist. Flat-calm and summer-warm I recall. Just then, a military aircraft flies slow and low so Ms. Lovely and Gracious decides to give the GI's a little:waglleybooty:show while bent over my engine hatch :eyepoppin !!!

So I'm at the helm looking astern with a big ol' :D on my face...just behind the divine show was a spread of 4 "Eat Me" Marlin jigs splashing and popping in perfect harmony, a gray airplane doing wing dips just overhead....it was so sureal....so ol' grumpy sees a little gap up the inside of the spread and deploys an old-skool plunger-head to fill the void. After a couple minutes I do a wind-and-dropback move with the plunger-head and sure enough this time it gets BIT!!! And not just BIT...it gets INHALED...GAME ON!!!

As luck would have it just seconds into the plunger bite one of the Eat Me's goes ballistic with an old 6/0 screaming out 50# as a 130# local carp goes airborn!!!! SCHAWEET!!! A DOUBLE!!! :rofl::rofl:This is all very true by the way.....that fish got released about 15 minutes later. Always on the lookout for an edge....a key...a trigger....I convinced (didn't take much) my summer deckhand to re-create "the moment" several more times that season but we never hooked another billfish. That was my most memorable local Marlin bite.....you asked :D

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
1986, I was on my first boat a 1972 24' Skipjack Open Cuddy about 5 miles off Dana Point with my then-girlfriend who was a bit of an exhibitionist. Flat-calm and summer-warm I recall. Just then, a military aircraft flies slow and low so Ms. Lovely and Gracious decides to give the GI's a little:waglleybooty:show while bent over my engine hatch :eyepoppin !!!

So I'm at the helm looking astern with a big ol' :D on my face...just behind the divine show was a spread of 4 "Eat Me" Marlin jigs splashing and popping in perfect harmony, a gray airplane doing wing dips just overhead....it was so sureal....so ol' grumpy sees a little gap up the inside of the spread and deploys an old-skool plunger-head to fill the void. After a couple minutes I do a wind-and-dropback move with the plunger-head and sure enough this time it gets BIT!!! And not just BIT...it gets INHALED...GAME ON!!!

As luck would have it just seconds into the plunger bite one of the Eat Me's goes ballistic with an old 6/0 screaming out 50# as a 130# local carp goes airborn!!!! SCHAWEET!!! A DOUBLE!!! :rofl::rofl:This is all very true by the way.....that fish got released about 15 minutes later. Always on the lookout for an edge....a key...a trigger....I convinced (didn't take much) my summer deckhand to re-create "the moment" several more times that season but we never hooked another billfish. That was my most memorable local Marlin bite.....you asked :D

Pics please! :D

Upvote 0

NEZ BITE

Aug 7, 2006
ESCONDIDO
Name
JEFF
Boat
24 SKIPJACK
We went south about 70 miles out of San Dieg back in 96 on our boat. I limited on yellowfin, dorado, yellowtail and marlin. Other than the marilin 5 or 6 others did the same. The yellowtail were hitting our marlin jigs and they were to small to pull drag, you would see the fish bouncing behind the boat. We released countless fish of every species. From the moment we let the jigs out to the end of the day it was wfo!!

Upvote 0

Deno

NO SHENANIGANS....
Jun 23, 2006
EL CAJON.
Name
DENO
Boat
23 CC SEA PRO
This day for me... My oldest (Five at the time) about 60 miles South.

07-26-fishing_052.jpg

Upvote 0

Captain Curt

Cooter
Jun 22, 2003
Mission Viejo
www.noahstackle.net
Name
Curtis
Boat
24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
Hey Kevan...............you tell'em about the wide-open Yellowfin bite for 4 hours with you, Brandon and I and I'll tell'em about the albacore trip the Brandon and I had when we tried to troll 15 knots away from them with marlin jigs and they kept on biting. :D

Curtis............

The boat Hanna...........

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
54 yft on the ridge in one day, not really big fish largest was 40lbs which was the last one of the day. The coolest part was the Whale Shark the hung our with the boat most of the day. I thought it might have something to do with the blue bottom on the Vag.

I hate having to see Paul every hunt day at Wister why do I have to see his face in this pic :finger:

Upvote 0