What Veterans Organizations Deserve to be Supported?

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Not fishing related per se, but a question I would like to see answered.

I want to support veteran’s organizations, but have a hard time sorting through all the hype. I want my dollars to do the most good towards those that have served our country. I have donated to USO for years, the Gary Senise Foundation, VFW, Wounded Warriors, etc. All I seem to get in return are increased solicitations for more money.

For those of you with more intimate experience with Veteran’s groups, where should my donations be going?

Thank you for your service and your suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Tail Chaser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Save The Brave
And
Heroes on The Water (best I've seen by far)

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Agree help the vets. I have worked with a local American Legion Post. They raise $$ for special projects with the local vets that are not covered by the VA. They also specifically state the 100% goes to the project and not to any administrative fees. All the money that’s raised after costs goes there.

I suggest you talk to your local post.

All the organizations have a fund raising division and add your name to a mailing list. They spend a lot to get a return. I spend a letter with my donation, and tell them to keep me off such mailings or they won’t get more from me. Just one TY letter for taxes. It has worked, most of the time.

PM me your phone number if you want to chat.

PS. I don’t donate to groups that have high admin costs like the cancer group. You can find listing on the web.

Rich.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
The VA administers a means test like Medicare, god forbid you have any money saved or earn over 100k a year. They will make you pay outrageous premiums if you avail yourself to their services. Recently received a 15 page excel spreadsheet explaining after 20 years of not putting me under the microscope they were going to set high premiums if I continued to need their services. So pay $525 a month for Medicare insurance.

These veterans fishing groups should probably do the same to get rid of the high earners who can afford their own fishing trip without the charity. It use t be if you had 85k or more you had nothing coming without co-pays. This same means test should be a qualifier for veterans in these fishing programs in my opinion. The people that donate are going to want to know that the veterans in the most need not guys like me will be helped. Maybe they should open it up to all veterans rather than consider your income level? Should income levels even be a factor?
I like your reference to truly helping those that don’t have the financial resources to participate in any endeavor, not just fishing. Perhaps it is something, we as a fishing community can sort of police and pass the word on? I encourage all who participate in this post to pass the word on charitable groups; the good and the bad. The better informed we become, the better choices we can make.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
PVA run by Vets for Vets....But Look into it first,,,,,

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Vietnam Vets with Cancer caused by Agent Orange may get no help from the VA because, although ALL CANCERS are caused by exposure to Agent Orange, only a few forms of Cancer are recognized by the VA.

Cancer doesn't single out those with, or without money.

I am in favor of providing ALL veterans low or no cost access to fishing. In my opinion, it’s about recognizing Veterans for their service to our country.

The American Legion does help veterans in need of assistance with various programs.

The American Legion also provides graveside service like Taps and 21 gun salute.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
San Diego Anglers Foundation.

We just received our determination letter from the IRS in June designating us a tax deductible 501c(3). (lots of time, money and effort during this CoVid crisis and everything shut down)

We have been doing it for years, but not as a 501 c(3)) We specialize in taking wounded warriors fishing on the down low. We work with Col Greg from Freedom station, Armed forces YMCA Balboa Naval Hospital and Aspire Center, a local PTSD center. The trips fill up instantly. The San Diego Anglers Fishing club has been doing this for years and we decided to create a non profit so we can raise more money easier , on a tax deductible basis to get these guys out more often. It is VERY rewarding as these guys can no way, pay for a fishing trip that we take for granted. Way too expensive for them. They have tears in their eyes and give my wife a big hug as they all depart the boat with many, the biggest fish of their lives. We don't just chase tuna as they are just as happy catching calicos on a twilight trip off La Jolla in June. They are very appreciative! We pay for everything on these trips. Food, drinks, permits (Mex and US). We provide all tackle if they need it . Our last trip of the year is with Taro on the Liberty in early September. Last years trip on the Liberty was fantastic as tuna to 40lbs attacked the boat, and these guys and gals had a GREAT time watching Taro hand feed the tuna in the corner, and all they had to do was get their sardine in the area for an instant boil and hookup. Pretty epic!

We do not take any salary and all the money collected goes toward getting these guys out.

We also do all the pier fishing kids events in SD County in the spring and early summer and switch over to the Warriors stuff when those events are over.

For more info, or to donate visit www.SanDiegoAnglersFoundation.org We are in the process of updating the info so some of it might be out of date, but the end result is the same. Getting the guys and kids out fishing!

Reactions: sickcat and esgeo

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
The VA administers a means test like Medicare, god forbid you have any money saved or earn over 100k a year. They will make you pay outrageous premiums if you avail yourself to their services. Recently received a 15 page excel spreadsheet explaining after 20 years of not putting me under the microscope they were going to set high premiums if I continued to need their services. So pay $525 a month for Medicare insurance.

These veterans fishing groups should probably do the same to get rid of the high earners who can afford their own fishing trip without the charity. It use t be if you had 85k or more you had nothing coming without co-pays. This same means test should be a qualifier for veterans in these fishing programs in my opinion. The people that donate are going to want to know that the veterans in the most need not guys like me will be helped. Maybe they should open it up to all veterans rather than consider your income level? Should income levels even be a factor?
High earners should be excluded? Most Vets don't care how much money their friends make. A lot of what these events do is help you meet like minded friends, people who talk and think like themselves!
22 Veterans a day commit suicide! Rich, poor, and everything in between.
Once there is engagement, and the community builds, healing begins... A lot of the cost for these organizations is getting the word to the Veterans! When was the last time you saw Veteran CHARITY commercials on TV?

esgeo

Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
when I lived in the Bay Area, I was briefly involved with an org that is now called Veterans Path. It’s an interesting grassroots kind of org that is geared towards promoting individual wellness/healing for Veterans, and was started by a couple ladies who were coming at the problems they face from a mindfulness-focused mental health perspective.

their website is veteranspath.org

Thank you for your interest in this subject. Although I’m not a Veteran myself, working with and supervising some young Veterans during my career with the federal government opened my eyes to the range and depths of mental health issues that have followed them into civilian life. God bless.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
While not in SoCAL, MBV.ORG does a lot to help veterans through marine recreational rehabilitation therapy programs . Two huge fishing trips a year where vets from all over the west coast come for a chance at salmon and rockfish.

They bought a boat and created a hydraulic lift to get disabled vest back in the water diving. Disabled Navy SEALs back in the water. That is cool shit if you ask me. http://mbv.org/programs/freedom-dive-program/

I support them every year taking groups out fishing in my private boat for the salmon derby. There is usually a small fleet of private boats along with the local charters.

These guys and gals bust their ass to help everyone that served.

Reactions: esgeo