What up with Turners?

Turkey Slayer

Apr 20, 2006
San Diego
Name
Randy
Boat
Waiting for my boat to come in
I just visited the Turners Outdoors in Kearny Mesa, and the hunting section still looks like it was ransacked! Talk about a pathetic display of hunting merchandise... I would have thouth the new ownership would build up a decent inventory of hunting goods and supplies! I think I have more turkey hunting stuff in my garage, then in the whole store! Glad I can depend on Cabelas for my hunting needs... the hunting selection in San Diego is dismal.....perhaps their goal is to have less hunters, and support the animal rights stuff! Oh well... good luck to all!

Upvote 0

gpomplin

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 13, 2006
Santee
Name
gary
Boat
A BIG RUBBER DUCK
the LAST time I was there I wasent impressed with the people working there or the service I got when I asked for something.. acted like they didnt give a shit wether they sold something or not, so I took my business else where...

Upvote 0

YANK N CRANK #2

Proud Wyoming Resident
Feb 28, 2006
God's Country, Wyoming
Name
Jason
Boat
27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
the LAST time I was there I wasent impressed with the people working there or the service I got when I asked for something.. acted like they didnt give a shit wether they sold something or not, so I took my business else where...

x2

Upvote 0

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
Santee
Name
gary
Boat
A BIG RUBBER DUCK
I just visited the Turners Outdoors in Kearny Mesa, and the hunting section still looks like it was ransacked! Talk about a pathetic display of hunting merchandise... I would have thouth the new ownership would build up a decent inventory of hunting goods and supplies! I think I have more turkey hunting stuff in my garage, then in the whole store! Glad I can depend on Cabelas for my hunting needs... the hunting selection in San Diego is dismal.....perhaps their goal is to have less hunters, and support the animal rights stuff! Oh well... good luck to all!
I was up there a few weeks ago too and the place looked like hell and they didnt have the items on the ad and the help was lousy too, so I took my business else where, and found the items cheeper even...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
If you need hunting gear, don't waste your time there. I only go in there because they do have some powders for reloading and I got to know one of the guys that works the fishing counter and he spools my reels for cheap.

Upvote 0

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
Santee
Name
gary
Boat
A BIG RUBBER DUCK
If you need hunting gear, don't waste your time there. I only go in there because they do have some powders for reloading and I got to know one of the guys that works the fishing counter and he spools my reels for cheap.
Ha last time I called for powder one guy said we dont carry powder, so I asked for the mgr and told him and he said hmmm we have lots of powder and primers. so fuck em no more games for me...

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
We should all send this post and a petition to Cabels or BP shops and ask them to build a store in SD county.

Upvote 0

Marcus

"Oddjob"
May 21, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Marcus
Boat
Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
be careful badmouthing turners, the last guy who did got his post removed & was kicked off of BD,

Really?

Sorry but that didn't happen.

Upvote 0

sdhunter

Jan 24, 2007
Santee
Name
Mike
Boat
1652 G3 SC Camo
Turners definitely lacks in hunting gear! But, if they open a Cabela's in CA, then we start paying sales tax...

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
all,be carefull what you wish for!Turners is a cal base retailer!We are hard to come by these days!Cabelas.Bass Pro etc,go into areas where they get free or reduced rate land,taxes etc.Turners has reorganized and im sure they will improve in the future.We,as Big 5 compete with them.I would rather keep our property and sales tax IN our state which is needed so badly.JMHO,Tom

Upvote 0

Carwash

Apr 2, 2009
monrovia
Name
greg
Boat
2008 Defiance 220 EX
Big 5 is a joke and Turners is half ass but it really all we have if you're in a bind. When I need something for hunting I call Cabelas. The Big 5 here in Pasadena, the employees don't have a clue about hunting or fishing.

Upvote 0

IMAKECARSFAST

provider of protien
Aug 24, 2004
ramona
Name
Brian
Boat
22foot, glacierbay center console, REEL BROKE
i just make the drive to bass pro about once every 2 or 3 months and get what i need... i dont like dealing with bs... i like knowing they have a selection of what i need and if they are out there is 800 million things i can look at!!!

i was thinking about opening a hunting store in san deigo somewhere... the internet already put the idea out of business... people will come in and look... but save dollar and buy off the net.. oh well

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
all,be carefull what you wish for!Turners is a cal base retailer!We are hard to come by these days!Cabelas.Bass Pro etc,go into areas where they get free or reduced rate land,taxes etc.Turners has reorganized and im sure they will improve in the future.We,as Big 5 compete with them.I would rather keep our property and sales tax IN our state which is needed so badly.JMHO,Tom

Exactly. They are in a rebuilding phase right now and working towards their ealry 90's program when they really were dominant.

It's not Bass Pro or Cabelas, but I'm really glad to have them and Big5 when I need ammo.

Take what it gives you and stop whining.

Upvote 0

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
Santee
Name
gary
Boat
A BIG RUBBER DUCK
Big 5 is a joke and Turners is half ass but it really all we have if you're in a bind. When I need something for hunting I call Cabelas. The Big 5 here in Pasadena, the employees don't have a clue about hunting or fishing.
Now play nice

Upvote 0

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
You guys should talk to some of the anglers and hunters in the mid-west that are hundreds of miles away from a decent source of tackle or ammo. They'd be stoked to have a Big 5 or Turners within an hour's drive. Here in North County we have each within 15 minutes. You boys are soft.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
It would just be nice to be able to walk in to a local store that stocks the kind of stuff that we want. I guess we don't really need a big name store, in fact a locally owned shop would be best. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to have the ability to try on clothing and such and really scrutinize other mechandise before making a purchase. That can be a little tough when doing online shopping.

Upvote 0