RazzRoach

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 13, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
J
Boat
None
Took of the center of my boat to clean the fuel tank and hull. There was a black strip running along the edge when I pulled the center off. The strip is old and coming off so I want to replace it with something new that will offer a more waterproof seal to prevent water going down into the hull when I spray down the deck. Should I get another black strip or run a thick bead of silicone? My friend recommended 5200 but I don’t want it to be sealed shut so I can’t remove it in the future. What type of silicone should I use or should I just replace with another black sealant strip! Thanks for the advice guys. Btw pic was before cleaning... look how dirty it was down there. Also cleaned up all the wiring with come cable ties

F0FA2CA0-59C3-459B-A787-E3DCD34D7BA2.jpeg

64D3924C-7DB8-47C1-8ACE-DDADA2F0C5D6.jpeg

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Use 4200. It won’t be as permanent.

RazzRoach

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 13, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
J
Boat
None
Use 4200. It won’t be as permanent.
With the 4200 will I be able to pull it off easily or will it take some work to get it off. The problem is I am unable to get a razor blade or putty knife in there to cut the sealant due to the angle. With the top on it’s about 2 inches down and a right angle to reach the sealant strip

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
If you can get a heat gun close all sealants become pliable.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
another black sealant strip would be the best option and silicone it down on one side only
good luck , I would use 5200 or 4200 or silicone , it may not come off again...

Good luck

Reactions: plj46

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Looking at the pictures I would probably opt for silicone. The reason being is both 4200 and 5200 are adhesives whereas silicone is a sealant.

In a perfect world I would feel more comfortable using 4200 but the problem you will run into is trying to pull it free in the future. Yes you can use a heat gun to loosen it but the location for getting the heat to it looks tricky because the deck sits on top of it. That would require getting the deck pretty damn hot for it warm up the 4200.

The other issue is you probably cant get a pry bar in there without potentially messing up the surrounding areas.

The other good method to break 4200/5200 is using braid. That might work in your situation. Take a long piece of braid and tie a dowel rod to each side. Use it as a saw to cut through it. That might actually work decently for your situation. even if you can't cut the entire seam it would be enough to weaken it.

Just my .02.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
McMaster Carr catalog. Neoprene foam rubber strips. Overwhelming choices, hardness, width, height,
We don’t calk them down, impossible to remove.
Just my way of thinking
McMaster-Carr awesome choice for stuff...

Reactions: mike mitchell

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
If you insist on 3M...4000 is what you should use.

On my tank lid, they used plumbers putty....back in 1979, Worked good enough to keep original tank clean and dry for 30 years, I used it again.

You want a seal that is removable and easy to clean when you need to reopen and reapply.

Reactions: tbev

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Even if you use silicone or a lesser grade sealant that cover isn't going to come off easily.Use a quality weather stripping.Maybe even that zinc chromate putty tape they use on aluminum window frames.