WHAT TYPE OF CERAMIC GUIDES USED ON FACTORY CALSTAR

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by geebee, Apr 11, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Hi, anyone know what type of Fugi ceramic guides are being installed on current (2017-2018) factory Grafighter Calstar fishing rods, saltwater West Coast conventional GF 700ML and GF 700XH, for example?

The rod builder at the tackle shop recommended Silicon Nitride Guides (BHNNG SiN) as a bump up in quality over what Calstar is currently using. He added Calstar used to use Silicon Nitride Guides but bumped down in their ceramic material quality recently (what are the current guides they are using and are they in fact a lower standard than the BHNNG SiN)?

I considered SiC, but he said not needed unless I could afford them and wanted the best most expensive guides, I can't justify the cost for SIC on these two personal DIY projects...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Called calstar was told the
    • 700ML uses BHNOG Aluminum Oxide
    • 700XH uses BLRXOG Aluminum Oxide
    I don't know much about ringed ceramic guides, but ALUMINUM OXIDE seems to be the insert spec.

This below chart UNDERSTANDING RING INSERTS AND FRAMES ranks Aluminum Oxide at the bottom - so Silicon Nitride Nitrate Guides (BHNNG SiN) is indeed a bump up...

Chart.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018