What today really means....4th of July

Discussion in 'Personal News' started by MJB, Jul 4, 2016.

1. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men
    who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors,
    and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes,
    and their sacred honor.
    What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to
    pay his debts, and died in rags.
    Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.
    Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
    At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
    Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill
    were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests
    and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his
    children vanished.
    So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.
    Remember: freedom is never free!

slapazz, EZYGOING, matta57 and 4 others like this.
  2. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    From my sister today..."Woke up this morning and saw our 96 year old neighbor, WW II Vet raising his flag. I'm sure he thought no one was watching but, before he went back inside, he saluted his country's flag. People like this and those who defended to their death the freedoms we enjoy daily, deserve our honor. And the best way to do that is to not forget their sacrifices and allow ourselves to fall into indifference and entitlement"

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 7.09.26 PM.png

slapazz, MJB and middleofnowhere like this.
  3. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Thank you for the info. I didn't know the story. Puts the 4th in new light for me.

4. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    God bless that man! Brings a tear to my eyes......

It deffently shows we must stand for our freedoms......if nothing to show their misery was not in vein!

lynndeva likes this.
  5. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Thx for the big huge dose of reality. I realized late in the day the IS a meaning to celebrating the 4th. For me, it came when I heard The Star Spangled Banner during the fireworks display. As dysfunctional as our country seems from time to time, we are still the best country in the world! May God continue to bless America.

6. slapazz

slapazz Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17' sportcraft
    Excellent little write up! Well said! That pic of the Vet too!