What to Expect - Early Sept. 3-Day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Dan33, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Dan33

Dan33 Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    14’ POS
    Howdy! I've lurked around here for years, both as a spearo, and now a hook & line guy. I've always been able to find what I needed without posting, but there's some specific info I need & I'm hoping you all can help. Most of my larger saltwater fish have been taken freediving with a speargun, and most of my experience with a rod has been YT action at the Channel Islands on private boats. I freshwater fish quite a bit, so I do understand the basics of rods, reels, line types, etc.

I'm booked on the Intrepid for a 3-day trip in early September & I'm not sure of what to expect. I live in MN now & I'll be mailing my gear out, so that's a huge limiting factor (7'6" max for rods). Please be patient as I try to figure this all out!

What do I really need for gear? I've read more than I care to admit & I think I have a pretty good idea, but would like some specific info. Here's my current situation:
    • UC RCE700H with a SX Raptor - Right now it's got 50 lb solid braid & a 40 lb topshot of mono. With the mono topshot this will be a 40 lb setup unless I change it to straight braid.
    • UC US76HP with a JX Raptor - 65 lb solid braid with a 50 lb topshot is the way it's setup right now. Again, the topshot limits the flexibility of the setup. So as of now it's pretty much a 50 lb setup.

• Am I foolish for heading out with just these 2 rigs? If I do just use these 2, is it worth running straight braid to a fluoro leader so I have the option of quickly tying 30 or 40 lb on the SX Raptor & 40 or 50 lb on the JX Raptor? It's hard to envision how much I should worry about tangles, and therefor how much flexibility I should sacrifice to avoid them.
    • I have a 1000 yard spool of both 40 & 50 lb mono. Should I also be bringing braid for each reel? How much?
    • If you do recommend a third setup, what should it be? A second JX Raptor for another 40-50 lb setup, another SX Raptor for a dedicated 30 lb setup, or a HX Raptor for 60b?
    • If you didn't own any saltwater hooks, what would you want to bring (types & quantities)? Are there any disadvantages to ringed hooks? As of now I've always used Owner hooks, but I'm not sure what we could possibly run into on a 3 day in September. Seems like there have been some pretty big fish around the last few years.

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Where is the boat headed if it’s down to tuna town I’d get a 80lb to 100lb depending on how this year turns out

Dan33 likes this.
  3. Artois

Artois Member

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    Not Given
    WAY many more experience with LG than me, but one thing I would suggest is having the crew replace the top shots on board, both at the beginning of the trip and at the end of each day of use. Not only will the line be fresh, the knots will be first class.

Dan33 likes this.
  4. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    or you can be an adult and practice the knots youll need before the trip til you can tie them in your sleep.....incase a deckhand isn't available..
    I worked on a number of the boats fishing tuna out of san diego over 45 years living there and while MOST deck hands are better then most passengers that isn't always the case...one guy who shall remain nameless started working on a boat I worked on and immediately we started losing feathers on the troll rigs to curly cue knots...passengers started busting off fish to the same problem....so I kept an eye out figured out who it was and had the captain address the problem...it got better but i'd never let that deckie tie a knot for me if I was blind.

you are young by your picture.....no knots are hard to tie if you repeat them often enough.....learn five or six knots and tie them well...and you won't be a welfare recipient....

5. larry dickson

larry dickson Member

Name:
    Chuck Roast
    Boat:
    20' Skip
    Last year and year before the best fishing around labor day/ Late august and September was for the bluefin tuna. Last year @ the 43, year before at Desperation San Clemmente island. Most of the Long range boats were at these spots, especially on the shorter trips. Was there to see it and fish on a skiff, and we did well on them, biggest bft I have ever caught(1 100# + per person is plenty for me, spectacular fish!) Who knows what this year will be like. However, I would not dare go on any tuna trip wthhout a very capable 60/80# set up. Talica 16 with 80# braid filled to the brim and a rod to match you can flyline a sardine, and crank a flat fall with. good luck!

Dan33 likes this.
  6. Dan33

Dan33 Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    14’ POS
    I guess that’s one of my questions. Is that a possibility on a short trip like a 3-day? Could I potentially be bringing a knife to a gun fight with my current gear? Adding another setup like a HXW Raptor for 80 lb would be a financial stretch, but it could probably happen, especially if I rented a heavier rod for it to go on.

7. Artois

Artois Member

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    Not Given
    No reason to be sarcastic to me or the boat crew (deckie??). just trying to make a suggestion that has helped me out, a fisherman for over 60 years, but only a handful of LG trips

8. Dan33

Dan33 Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    14’ POS
    I’m 37 & will be tying my own knots. I know a few for connecting braid to mono/fluoro, mono to fluoro & fluoro to hook. I just need to make a device that helps me tighten them down so I don’t keep cutting up my hands. I’m not big on relying on other people, and I envision the crew being chronically busy.

stairman and stephen campbell like this.
  9. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Dan, you’ll get a lot of different opinions. Personally I feel the SX is a great 30 pound reel and the JX 30 to 40. Generally 40 is you go to set up. I’d make arrangement to get one more 40 to 50 set up. The boat has them. If the bigger Bluefin are in the picture, the boat should be able to set you up. Leave you 1000 yard spools at home. If you are good at casting a short top shot with braid, then just attach flurocarbon. 20, 30, 40. Maybe 50.

Leave your extra braid at home. The boat usually has mono and can spool you up if need be

Hook, I like 2/0 to 5/0. I’d the bait is anchovies, to a #2. I like circle hook. And you don’t need ringed hook as a rule. Wait till you get here, the landing and the boat should have the right hook. If you get here early enough you could venture to Squidco or Charkbait. Otherwise, walk over to fisherman’s landing.

Plan to have fun. Enjoy

rsmdale and Dan33 like this.
  10. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Get a couple of ½ dowels about 6 inches long and wrap with flex (finger) tape.

Dan33 likes this.
  11. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    Looks like most of the bruisers as of lately have been on the yummy flyer but that is likely to change. Fish are starting to foam and they've been getting the smaller grade on the surface with irons and poppers too. All of the Landings and Captains still recommend bringing 25/30, 40/50 and 80 for heavy flat falls and other jigs. Likely to still be the case in August/September-- but who knows.

If I were you I would ditch the long topshots and fill your reels with spectra. Leave enough room for a boat length of mono if you absolutely want it (some boats still prefer it). If you don't want to buy a 25/30# rig you can just size down your flouro on what you have if needed.

Rent a heavy outfit from the landing when you get here.

Adrien

Dan33 likes this.
  12. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Most likely a bluefin adventure, plus kelp pattie yellowtail, dorado, and yellowfin. Youre first 2 outfits are good for smaller grade fish. I would definitely have setups for fishing 60-100 with 2 speed reels. One would need a crystal ball to predict how the fishing will be. But if the last few years are any indication, I would be prepared for the big bluefin. My preferance for hooks are of the ringed variety, circles and j-hooks, several good manufacturers of those. I like braid with short topshot's of florocarbon for a better bait presentation for picky bluefin. Have some souped up glow heavy flatfalls for deeper holding bluefin ( particularly for early mornings). Those would be my suggestions.

Dan33 likes this.
  13. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    Some non fishing stuff.

Solo red cups for sunset cocktails.
    ear plugs.
    laundry bag.
    extra shower towel.
    small flashlight for your room.
    gift for crew. I give them 12 pack of socks.
    pen and notebook. For your fishing report. :-)
    you could be fishing or making bait at night so have clothes for that.

esgeo, Artois and Dan33 like this.
  14. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Call the boat/landing and see if they have a tackle rental package that you can purchase. If you are set on sending your own gear out, then ask them about renting an 80# and 100# outfit. While we won't be able to tell you what you will be chasing in September, the big BFT are currently within one day range so there is a chance. Good luck and I hope you will write a report!

Dan33 and RichG like this.
  15. Dan33

Dan33 Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    14’ POS
    Sounds like folks think bringing my own line is a waste of time & space. My main concern was that the crew would be able to do it, but not when I needed it done. I used to work on dive boats & know how crazy things can get. With only 2 rigs I could be screwed if one was out of action for the rest of the day. I think I'll plan on leaving the line at home since mailing 2 or 3 spools is just more hassle & expense.

Folks also seems to like using straight braid to a fluoro leader. That's really tempting. I realize even with a topshot you can tie on various sizes of fluoro leaders, but it seems like it wouldn't work that well. If a bait is hauling around 50'-75' of 50 lb mono, I'm not sure "downsizing" my fluoro leader to 40 lb would make a difference. If I'm running straight braid, then changing leaders would make more sense.

16. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    You will be fine with your two outfits on a 3 day.... call Hoffy at the office and tell him you are flying out but would like to reserve a 80# boat outfit in case you get into the big BF... it will cost you about $10......

You will have a great time......relax...

17. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Yea I’d look on here you can get some gear pretty cheap and some landings you can rent that kind of gear

18. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Look at wind on leaders there is little to no knots involved

19. COSDoug

COSDoug Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Hobie Kayak
    I use 'loaner gear' each year on the Intrepid. I gave up flying mine from Colorado several years ago. Captain KO set me straight after I got my hat handed to me on a 103# YFT at the rocks. "Next time use our gear Doug, you're killing yourself with that stuff". Their gear is newer and better than anything I have. As Fishy said, $10 per rod and reel per trip. It's the cheapest part of the trip. Top shelf 2 speed reels, very well maintained, each comes with about 100 yards of brand new mono, you're choice of test. I also bring 30, 40 and 50# floro, {30 yard spools} for an 8 day. Call Steve at the office, he will hook you up with whatever suits your fancy.

surfgoose, RichG, Bill W and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    With your confidence level when it comes to knots, you’ll be fine. Not really a big deal to bring a few hundred yards of 50 lb and 65 lb braid, doesn’t take up much room. Consider leaving your rods at home, put your reels on the boat’s rods. As fishy said, contact Hoffy and tell him what you have and he can see to it that you’re set up with the right outfits. Bring some fluorocarbon like the 25 yard spools of 30 and 40 lb and whatever you have for hooks. If you are fishing a YoYo outfit with a long mono topshot they can refill it for you on the boat. Have fun!

RichG likes this.