What to do if reel got submerged the water?

Ribak

Jan 9, 2012
Carlsbad
Name
Val
Boat
Yami
Hi guys,
I have been on the water and accidentally dropped my rod/reel into the water (fishing of the jet ski)
Got it back, luckily had the end of the line in my hand. Anyways my Penn Senator 113H reel has been submerged in saltwater for the minute or so. I had it rinsed off and sprayed with Saltaway afterword.
Is there anything else I should do to clean out the salt from the reel?
Your advice will be appreciated.

Tail Chaser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Ha ha as a kayak fisherman I dont worry about a little water getting on my high quality gear... rinse with fresh water and call it a day... if you fish crap gear well, all bets are off.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
rinse it off, or stick it in a bucket of water for a few, let it drain, and fish it.

But: if you wanna worry about the "damage" to a $75 dollar reel......then by all means, spend another $75 on servicing it.

....just my $.02

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Sorry, didn't mean to sound callous to the OP.......I grew up fishing those penn reels. They are GREAT learning tools, both for using and maintaining.

as stated, easy peasy take apart. But if it just got dunked, I doubt it needs parts, just disassembly, grease and re-assembly.

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Really may not even need new grease, just pop apart, separate the parts, spray bottle fresh water, air dry, and reassemble. I board fish and the reel for that duty gets submerged every time, just need to get the salt and trapped moisture out.

NaClAddict

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
Someone used to make bronze bushings for Penns. They are much more durable than bearings. Once they wore in they were super smooth.