What to bring 1.5 day on ocean odyssey june23

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat Name
Kayaks
Jigs that might be available change from day to day. Call the tackle shop at your landing your going out of. Ask what they have in stock. Right now I’d recommend a range.
1x150
2x250-300
1x400-500
Have them take off all the stock hooks and upgrade them to heavy duty. Have them put leaders on the big ones so you’re ready to go. When you get on the boat have one of the deckhands direct tie or leader your 150.
Have that deckhand help set you up. Listen to what they say to do and you might catch a fish of a lifetime.
DON’T USE STOCK HOOKS!!
Daiwa sk jigs
Mustard rip rollers
Are just a couple.
Good luck
Regards
Scott
Scott, for my dedicated jigging heavy rig I am thinking 80 or 100lb solid braid connecting with a Bimini to a BHP 200lb Blue Label wind on down to a crimp connecting my Quick Rig Sea Bouy swivel. That reduces the number of connections. Do you see any problems with that approach?-Russ

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Shogun
100lb at least.
I am not a wind on guy. I know there are many that have great success with them. I have heard nothing but great things about bhp wind ons. II’ll just tell you what I do.
I use 100lb solid on my dedicated knife jig rods. I used to tie a 10 turn San Diego but have changed to a 7 turn double San Diego.
I tie that to a swivel on the top of a 200-300lb crimped bite leader. I have several ready to go in case one gets mangled from a fish or tangle etc. if that rig gets jacked up
I grab the next one if the bite is hot. If not i strip off line til it’s good tie on the next leader and ready.
I like being completely self reliant. I’ll be the first guy to seek advice of the deckhands but when it’s a hot bite Ive got two knots I can tie in my sleep.
FG and San Diego. If your Bimini is compromised do you have a knot to get back in the game? If not start tying rightnow so you do.
A while back I was ready to buy a bunch of wind ons. Ready to dump a bunch of dough. A really well respected deckhand asked what knots I know. He said save your money and tie those knots.
That’s what works for me.
Regards
Scott

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat Name
Kayaks
100lb at least.
I am not a wind on guy. I know there are many that have great success with them. I have heard nothing but great things about bhp wind ons. II’ll just tell you what I do.
I use 100lb solid on my dedicated knife jig rods. I used to tie a 10 turn San Diego but have changed to a 7 turn double San Diego.
I tie that to a swivel on the top of a 200-300lb crimped bite leader. I have several ready to go in case one gets mangled from a fish or tangle etc. if that rig gets jacked up
I grab the next one if the bite is hot. If not i strip off line til it’s good tie on the next leader and ready.
I like being completely self reliant. I’ll be the first guy to seek advice of the deckhands but when it’s a hot bite Ive got two knots I can tie in my sleep.
FG and San Diego. If your Bimini is compromised do you have a knot to get back in the game? If not start tying rightnow so you do.
A while back I was ready to buy a bunch of wind ons. Ready to dump a bunch of dough. A really well respected deckhand asked what knots I know. He said save your money and tie those knots.
That’s what works for me.
Regards
Scott
Thanks so much Scott. I have been tying the FG for years and comfortable with it. I need to practice the SD.

Reactions: Scott McPherson
Upvote 0

Hector Romo

Aug 21, 2006
West Hills
Name
Hector Romo
Boat Name
23, Mako ,El Torito
I recently fished the NLA and had an awesome trip with 88 bft on the boat. What worked best was 100+Lb braid tied directly to a 200-300 lb leader with swivel on one end and a size 10 Owner split ring on the other ( connection were crimped ). The advantage to this set up is you can change your lure at the split ring and do not need to retire the leader. Also a 320-400 Gm knife jig with 7/0 mustad assist hook on the bottom. FYI some people add an assist hook at the top but most deck hands don’t like them because they can get injured bringing the fish over the rail. Bob Sands in Van Nuys and Island fishing tackle in Carson are very well stocked on jigs.
Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat Name
Kayaks
I recently fished the NLA and had an awesome trip with 88 bft on the boat. What worked best was 100+Lb braid tied directly to a 200-300 lb leader with swivel on one end and a size 10 Owner split ring on the other ( connection were crimped ). The advantage to this set up is you can change your lure at the split ring and do not need to retire the leader. Also a 320-400 Gm knife jig with 7/0 mustad assist hook on the bottom. FYI some people add an assist hook at the top but most deck hands don’t like them because they can get injured bringing the fish over the rail. Bob Sands in Van Nuys and Island fishing tackle in Carson are very well stocked on jigs.
Hope this helps
It does-thanks Hector.

Upvote 0