Almost A Member
Dec 18, 2011
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
Koy Wilson
Boat
2003 Robalo 235
Fellas,
I have my Calcutta, Hooks and Spar Varnish. I'm taking my first shot at making some bamboo gaffs. I was on the Atwood rope sight and wasnt sure what size tuna cord to wrap it with. Any tips on which cord to wrap with or any other suggestions would help.
Koy

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
The Atwood stuff holds up just as well as tarred seine. I'd go Atwood soaked in epoxy, but not covered with a smooth layer of epoxy.

Seine works too, just wears out faster in my experience. #60 seine is large Imo.

Reactions: Smartaxe
Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    I use 60 seine on my gaffs and prefer it to the smaller sizes. It really is up to the end user what they may or may not prefer.

Reactions: Smartaxe
    Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat
    2003 Robalo 235
    The Atwood stuff holds up just as well as tarred seine. I'd go Atwood soaked in epoxy, but not covered with a smooth layer of epoxy.

Seine works too, just wears out faster in my experience. #60 seine is large Imo.

Thanks for the info. Im gonna go with the 1/16 from Atwood. Appreciate the help. Im also looking for a bait well net without the handle. Doing it out of bamboo also. If you know where I might find one.

Reactions: tanner.s
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Thanks for the info. Im gonna go with the 1/16 from Atwood. Appreciate the help. Im also looking for a bait well net without the handle. Doing it out of bamboo also. If you know where I might find one.
    I made my handle out of aluminum but I found the net with an old wood handle on Craigslist and gave it a new grip.

Upvote 0

Latest posts