What size mooring for Avalon?

makostorm

Apr 30, 2021
Dana Point
Name
Jim
Boat
N/A
I was looking and saw Avalon has 30' moorings and 40' moorings. What kind of guidelines do they use for when you have to (or should) jump from a 30' to a 40' mooring?

Assuming a 32' boat.... Do they go by hull size? tip-to-tip measurement guidelines (I know they won't actually measure you but you'd know your LOA with engines up).

I can see the 30' slips are pretty close to the shore also so that might factor in.

thanks!

Reactions: jiggermyster

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    When you get to Avalon they will decide. You call, they ask what size boat and then they decide where they want your boat. If you look at he mooring map for Avalon you can ask if certain moorings are available. I like to be outside so I can fish at night. My boat is 28' and with bracket and engines more like 32. I tell them I am 28', saves a little money. Getting in and out of moorings requires a bit of boat handling but don't be intimidated really isn't as tight as it seems.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    If you are 30' or less you will likely end-up on a 30' mooring, the mooring lines are set up for what they say.
    If you put a 23' boat on a 30' mooring the lines will need adjusting to accommodate that size boat, if you don't the boat will be swinging back and forth on the mooring.
    Are you thinking of buying a mooring or just staying on one for a few days?.

The Harbor Patrol guys are great at helping, let them know your level of experience and the will walk you through.

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    As said before, they will make the decision on which mooring they assign you. Most important thing to remember is that it’s summer time and moorings become very difficult to get on the weekends. If your planning a trip on the weekend, make sure you have a back up plan.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    I watched the sternline part over and over again so I get it right.

Upvote 0

makostorm

Apr 30, 2021
    Dana Point
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    N/A
    If you are 30' or less you will likely end-up on a 30' mooring, the mooring lines are set up for what they say.
    If you put a 23' boat on a 30' mooring the lines will need adjusting to accommodate that size boat, if you don't the boat will be swinging back and forth on the mooring.
    Are you thinking of buying a mooring or just staying on one for a few days?.

The Harbor Patrol guys are great at helping, let them know your level of experience and the will walk you through.

Most of the question was around the buying part. it looks like the 40’ moorings are 3-4x the price of the 30’ ones so I was trying to size up what size mooring they would slot a 32’ boat in with outboards.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Do you understand how owning a Avalon mooring works?You pay the taxes and upkeep on the mooring.You have to reserve it when YOU want to use it.You let someone use it they pay the City of Avalon for the use of it and you get nothing.SOOooo IF you dont use it a LOT something to think about.Tom

Upvote 0

makostorm

Apr 30, 2021
    Dana Point
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    N/A
    Do you understand how owning a Avalon mooring works?You pay the taxes and upkeep on the mooring.You have to reserve it when YOU want to use it.You let someone use it they pay the City of Avalon for the use of it and you get nothing.SOOooo IF you dont use it a LOT something to think about.Tom
    Yep, read up on it already.

Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    Yep, read up on it already.
    My guess, since you have out board engines is you will get a 40 foot mooring. It is based on overall length, including bow pulpit and and over hang at the stern. A 32 model can be 37 LOA.

Upvote 0