tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I've been using the yellow disposables but just tried a $.50 1/2" hair brush and found it was way faster/easier for me.

What do you all prefer?

With the half inch:
becf063a0fc2bb1af9f4fc1c17f51d42.jpg

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
I use the tiny purple brushes. I've found its easier when applying finish under the guides and I don't like to switch back and forth between a small and large brush.

Reactions: rodblder and gecsr1
Upvote 0

paradoxjim

Almost A Member
Nov 11, 2010
Wakefield/RI
Name
Jim
Boat
Jakary
I've been using 3/8 inch acid brushes for years. I trim off any stray bristles and make sure to run the bristles through my fingers to get rid of any loose ones. I toss them out after I use them and don't bother with clean up. The price is right and the final results have been very good.

Reactions: rodblder
Upvote 0

ready2roll

Jan 3, 2016
Florida
Name
chris
Boat
Native
I like using straight and angle cut 3/8" & 1/2" fine synthetic chisel tip brushes. I think they hold a good amount of finish and they are soft so they don't rake the finish if you use a little to much pressure when applying. However, I don't like the same brushes in natural hair. It seems no matter how much flicking, trimming or running them through my fingers to get the loose hairs out, once they go in the epoxy and onto the rod the hairs seem to magically free themselves from the brush and end up on the rod! I cant figure out how the synthetic ones stay together with absolutely zero prepping of them and the natural ones that I meticulously clean always end up in my epoxy. Maybe the expensive natural hair brushes work better but cleaning brushes doesn't work for me and I can't justify spending more money to throw them away. Also I sometimes use the purple and yellow brushes for repairs and first coat on rods when I'm running low on the synthetic chisel brushes.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
Bringing back this thread from the past....

Anybody have a link to some disposable wide brushes for doing guides and larger clear sections? I have had it with these little round brushes! Salty D, you figured this out! I don’t want to clean a brush. That is the only difference.

I bought these today... I will let you know how they do!

Amazon product

Upvote 0

rodblder

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
I just redid a 16" diamond wrap using the cheapo yellow disposable brushes I've been buying from Squidco for over 20 years, big jobs, little jobs they work for everything!!

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

K. D.

Apr 20, 2011
Bremerton, WA
Name
Kerry Hansen
Boat
RIVER SLED
I have a selection of width brushes and choose to match majority of wrap length. for butt wraps i do something different.

Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
Gotta love old posts! I think this one was before my time but I'll chip in. Yellow and purple throwaways, used a couple of times and cleaned with u40 brush cleaner, and my selection of spatulas for anything over a couple of inches.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Yellow and purple for me too.... sometimes I clean them use them several times... I clean them with acetone, then leave them set in a cup of water till next use.. before use clean them again in acetone... works for me and my finish comes out great...to me its not the brush you use its how you apply your epoxy coat that give you the finish you want....

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I like the Yellow brushes.I took two of them and melted the handles together with a solder iron to get a bigger brush.I clean it good and store it in acetone.I've been using the same one for 6 months.Those cheap China bristle brushes from Home depot are crap ! I also tried a more expensive brush from Michaels and it was crap also.As Gary said,it's more about how you apply than the brush.

Upvote 0

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
My issue with the small round brushes has nothing to do with how well they lay down the finish. The finish looks great when I use them. My issue is they are to small and round. It’s like painting a bedroom wall with a 2” brush. Yes anyone could do that but why would you?
Sounds like it is common to be happy with the little round brushes. I am going to try out some larger ones and report back. Just in case there is someone out there looking for a different way to do it. I ordered 4 blanks yesterday so I have some work ahead of me.
Cheers!

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
My issue with the small round brushes has nothing to do with how well they lay down the finish. The finish looks great when I use them. My issue is they are to small and round. It’s like painting a bedroom wall with a 2” brush. Yes anyone could do that but why would you?
Sounds like it is common to be happy with the little round brushes. I am going to try out some larger ones and report back. Just in case there is someone out there looking for a different way to do it. I ordered 4 blanks yesterday so I have some work ahead of me.
Cheers!
even though I use little round brushes as you call them, the yellow and purple round ones.... yes the get the job done and get in the tight places with ease..
but when I paint a room i may edge with a 2' brush..but use a roller for the the rest... its different strokes for different folks..
good Luck .

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
I've been using the yellow disposables but just tried a $.50 1/2" hair brush and found it was way faster/easier for me.

What do you all prefer?

With the half inch:

What do you all prefer?

With the half inch:
I like the yellow brushes.

Upvote 0

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
even though I use little round brushes as you call them, the yellow and purple round ones.... yes the get the job done and get in the tight places with ease..
but when I paint a room i may edge with a 2' brush..but use a roller for the the rest... its different strokes for different folks..
good Luck .

Exactly my point. Use the little round brushes around the guides. I am not looking to stop using them there. I am just looking for the “roller” for the 36” tiger wrap.
I just did a tiger all the way up to the second guide. It was a pain in the a** using a small brush. Turned out good but took forever. I definitely noticed the epoxy’s viscosity changed during the 20+ minutes it took me to do the first coat on the tiger. I applied a little heat to the last 6” or so and it smoothed out. With a brush that is 2+ times as wide, I could have coated it in half the time and had a more consistent viscosity without the heat. I am going to try a wider one on the next build and see if it makes a difference. Half the fun of wrapping a rod is trying new things. :devil:

Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
Spatula, spatula, spatual.....and if don't use a spatula for longer wraps, you should try s spatula.

Reactions: Mtnfshr
Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    I only bust out with the little flexcoat brushes for the mud puddle rods....Otherwise it's always the broad stuff for the majority of what I do. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've been using them for decades now and could never go back.

Trying to use the little ones would simply be a waste of time and productivity for me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LB. and SALTYDAWG
    Upvote 0

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
    So I tried out a 1/2” brush on my latest rod. I have had this blank for a long time with plans on building a general trolling rod out of it. It is a Rainshadow RCTB66H. Keep in mind I am a rookie wrapper but I think the finish turned out good and was supper simple. with the wider brush.

I picked the brushes up on Amazon for $7.

9035AB5C-3DC0-4538-8478-A44200D25AAD.jpeg F5202466-AE0F-422F-B763-2CD59EA942F6.jpeg 49AFE41C-5C6A-49CF-AE4E-13D015836880.jpeg 0F23C4D6-B48A-416F-89C7-803174437AD7.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: JTrelikes and LB.
    Upvote 0

LB.

Lb’s Customs
    Aug 29, 2018
    La Crescenta CA
    Name
    Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
    Boat
    Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
    Been using the horse hair acid brushed off amazooon and the purple ones for the smaller guides. I cut about 1/2 off the purple ones to push the epoxy around better, but then the 3/8” for the base wraps. Just gotta clean out the loose hairs first and trim the stragglers

Reactions: JTrelikes
    Upvote 0