LordIsGod

John 3:16
Jun 28, 2011
Whittier /Cali
Name
Randy P.
Boat
yak
So am looking to get a boat but need it to match a Toyota Tacoma v6 believe it has a 6000 lb tow cap. what would be the max length of boat? Or is the boat/trailer weight the deciding factor? Looking to get an onshore boat in the near future so I am starting my research.
Thanks!

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Cut that towing capacity in half.I have a Tacoma v6 3.4 and my 2500 lb. rig feels pretty heavy.It handles fine,the lack of horsepower is the problem.You definitely know you're towing something.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I'll be picking up my new Bayrunner Baja this weekend I'll be towing it with a Tacoma 4x4
It should do just fine I'll be towing it from AZ. to Baja 4-5 times a year and to San Diego 3-4 time a year maybe more.
I got the Bayrunner because I needed a boat that's fairly light weight that my Tacoma could tow and pull out of the the water without too much trouble. The main thing you need to worry about while towing with a small truck is being able to stop. When the boat weighs more than the truck

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Used to have a tundra with the 3.4 V6 and towed a 19’ bass boat around for a couple of years. It probably was about 3,400-3,700 pounds.

Edited: looked up the weight of the rigged boat on the single axle trailer I had and it actually was more than I remembered.

On flat terrain, it wasn’t too bad. I never tried towing it up or down any serious mountains though. Don’t think I could have done that. I would lose a lot of power going up some steep hills.

Around SoCal, I think you’ll be ok with a boat under that weight as long as you stick to the 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordIsGod

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
There’s a 16’ Arima in the classifieds. Very capable boat, and your Toyota would handle it easily.

fishja

I've seen bigger waves in the toilet!
Jun 21, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
fishja
Boat
Sold
Do you have the 4x4? Ive got a 2014 4x4 and had a 15’ whaler I used to tow and couldn’t even notice it on the back. My wife recently got a horse and we towed it with the truck. Twin axle 2,900 pound trailer and a 1,300 pound horse with tack, feed, and misc gear I pegged it at about 4,700 pounds. Don’t think I’d want to pull anything heavier. Again stopping distance was sketchy even with my newer brakes.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: LordIsGod and plj46

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
something I did not think about which is Stopping distance
That's the most important factor out of all of them.

You should be fine all the way up to a 20ft Skippy, Whaler, Seacraft or similar.

I went from a 1990 Toyota pickup to a 98 Tacoma, then 05 Tundra and then 13 Tundra....each new truck was bc of a boat that I had bought.

BTW, Toyota rear leaf springs SUCK. Get some airbags and your towing experience will be night and day compared to without.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Tacoma V6,
What year? I have a 2003 with an auto.
Its bearly enough truck to drag a classic 17ft whaler up to the wood! Now the S10 with the 4.3V6, soft suspension and much better ride and tow rig. It could drag that whaler up to pyramid lake with no problems! A 20ft skippy is going to be about 4500lbs on the hoof and you need a real 1/2 ton PU to drag it around.
Springs, yea these trucks have a bad case of spring wrap. That is very strange, the suspension stiff and you still have the spring issue. My truck has helper springs to help deal with the spring issue. Now the ride is even worse!

Last edited:

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
My taco has no idea it being tailed by a 17 bayrunner.

Last edited:

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
I had a 2014 Tacoma TRD Sport with tow pkg. 6400 lb capacity. My boat/trailer weigh around 3800 or so. Flat roads, no worries. I live in Temecula and have to go up a couple of steep hills to get to San Diego Bay... I had the 4.0 and it did NOT like the hills.

My gas mileage went from 17-18 down to 11-12 while towing. I traded the Taco for a full size 2018 RAM Ecodiesel. Same HP but 420 ft lbs of torque. Towing just got a whole lot easier and my gas mileage when TOWING is 17 mpg.

Loved my taco... but it sucked for towing.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
17 MPG towing must be nice!
Hell Big Sinky can't get 17 mpg not towing!
But she is a $7000 diesel so my mileage may vary, but my truck is paid for! If she was a Dodge she would be good for 20, but she would still be a Dodge everything in life is a trade off.

LordIsGod

John 3:16
Jun 28, 2011
Whittier /Cali
Name
Randy P.
Boat
yak
I am currently looking to get a Taco in about
4-5 months. I am planning on getting a 4x4 w/ tow package v6 (4 door extended bed) After that then the boat. Going to stick with one under 18 ft inshore bay boat...
Good info here in the feedback.

pinche guero

mosquito fleet
Apr 2, 2014
Santa Cruz
Name
Scott
Boat
'78 Radon 20 "Christina"
I used to have an 03' prerunner with the 3.4L motor. As others have mentioned, it will tow ~3k lbs "okay" but stopping becomes an issue and you will get a lot of rear sag unless you airbag or add-a-leaf your truck. Keep in mind those max tow limits also include truck payload; you, your friends, your gear, gas in the boat, ice, etc. Your gas mileage will absolutely suck, also. A key thing I haven't seen mentioned yet: tow with O/D OFF unless you are up to freeway speed and save your tranny. My Toyota mechanic says to always drive with O/D OFF even not towing unless you are at freeway speed. I now tow with a ford T250 ecoboost v6, night and day difference.

pastdue

May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
So am looking to get a boat but need it to match a Toyota Tacoma v6 believe it has a 6000 lb tow cap. what would be the max length of boat? Or is the boat/trailer weight the deciding factor? Looking to get an onshore boat in the near future so I am starting my research.
Thanks!
I pulled the 18 and a half foot Larson heavy Larson with my 4-cylinder 1985 Toyota truck re art rear leaf spring and then later one ton clutch pulled it like a champ

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I just towed my new boat from Anaheim to Prescott Arizona with my Toyota Tacoma four-wheel drive it cut my gas mileage in half mainly because I drive a little too fast. Even at normal speed I still only got around 10mpg
Might be buying a new truck just for towing the boat

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Your towing capacity will increase nicely if you add the towing package. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4 X 4, V6, automatic and with the tow package I believe it is good for 11,000. The tow package on my truck included oil and transmission coolers.

Your mileage WILL suck. As mentioned, about 10 mpg. But that was hauling a blunt nose enclosed trailer.....nothing aerodynamic about it,

alex88

May 15, 2006
Oakland
Name
Alex
Boat
2003 Robalo R235
I have a factory tow package on my 2010 V6 and with it max capacity is 6500lb. Without it, 2nd gen Tacoma’s tow capacity is 3500lb. That being said I to a Robalo R235 on a 26’ trailer with zero problem. It’s right around 6k loaded.

Last edited:

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
I told you your gas mileage was gonna suck. And the towing capacity of the '11 Tacoma, even with the tow pkg, is 6400. And that's being very kind.