Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
I just picked up brand new a Penn torque 40, and penn torque 15, and needed rods for them. I've got a slow pitch rod for the 15 but that won't be enough for tuna lol. Would a phenix m1 inshore 20-45 rod work for the 15 size? And would a penn rampage 30-80 7'6 work for the 40? Or should I bump it up to a 60-130 rod?

Follow up but kind of off topic, how should I treat a penn carnage 80-200 rod, is it more of a 50 or 60lb rod, I see it get paired with my dad's gear such as a penn torque 40 and I feel like it's to light for that reel.. Am I in the right or wrong for thinking that.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I just picked up brand new a Penn torque 40, and penn torque 15, and needed rods for them. I've got a slow pitch rod for the 15 but that won't be enough for tuna lol. Would a phenix m1 inshore 20-45 rod work for the 15 size? And would a penn rampage 30-80 7'6 work for the 40? Or should I bump it up to a 60-130 rod?

Follow up but kind of off topic, how should I treat a penn carnage 80-200 rod, is it more of a 50 or 60lb rod, I see it get paired with my dad's gear such as a penn torque 40 and I feel like it's to light for that reel.. Am I in the right or wrong for thinking that.

I'll let the community answer the first part of your question. You should get lots of good answers.
The second part [80-200 Carnage II rod]: at 7 feet, its of course not going to be a surface iron rod. Also note that the line rating is a braid rating. That rod's mono rating would be 30-60.
It balances well with PENN 25N and 30-size conventionals, and works well with any reels of that size [star drag or lever drag] with 40/50 pound topshots.
Its also a pretty good traditional rockfish/lingcod rod with 2-hook rigs and 8-16 ounce sinkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tugboat64
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
Private boat, or charter boat? (I like a longer rod for charters)
Fly line only, or jigs?
If jigging, casting surface iron, slow pitch, or speed jigging?
Helps those of us in the peanut gallery narrow it down for you.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Private boat, or charter boat? (I like a longer rod for charters)
Fly line only, or jigs?
If jigging, casting surface iron, slow pitch, or speed jigging?
Helps those of us in the peanut gallery narrow it down for you.
Private boat with couple trips a year on LR trips. Looking the 40 as a tuna/offshore rod, the 15 as an all around inshore/offshore rod thus I paired it with my slow pitch rod for hat fishing

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I fish my 40 on a UC 80 Predator as a 60lb set up and my 15xnld2 on RGP80 Monster as a 40lb set up. The Monster will pair up with your 15 very well. Lots of good options out there so shop around and pull on all of them

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    15ld2 Mega and 40nld2 predator. Either US or GP

. The Monster will pair up with your 15 very well. Lots of good options out there so shop around and pull on all of them

Was thinking the UC line but wasn't sure, would you think its better to go UC Predatoer or go the next size up and go Viper?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Was thinking the UC line but wasn't sure, would you think its better to go UC Predatoer or go the next size up and go Viper?

A viper is to much rod for either reel. I fish mine with a Mak 20 or 30 on 100lb or higher. You might look at the RGP 80 Terminator. I haven't pulled on it but Jamie at Bob Sands says it fishes 60-80 well

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    A viper is to much rod for either reel. I fish mine with a Mak 20 or 30 on 100lb or higher. You might look at the RGP 80 Terminator. I haven't pulled on it but Jamie at Bob Sands says it fishes 60-80 well
    Okay thank you, I've got a buddy I'm fishing with this weekend who has the terminator, he said he'd bring it down so I can test it. Thanks

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Okay thank you, I've got a buddy I'm fishing with this weekend who has the terminator, he said he'd bring it down so I can test it. Thanks

I have a UC 80 Terminator and I wouldn't fish it higher then 50lb which would be under using the 40 to me. Try the UC 80 Predator it's what I fish my 40 on and a great blank. The RGP 80 Terminator is supposed to be a totally different blank then the UC version and able to fish well up the line class to 80lb I believe

Reactions: Kos and Tugboat64
    Upvote 0

Bondbong

Apr 12, 2018
    Sd
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Ericson 30
    Sell the 15 and get a saltiga 20 no reason for a 2 speed in that size. I’d sell the 40 too to be honest the saltiga 40 can handle 50# or 60# no problem I landed a 70# bluefin on 40 mono and a 10ft jig stick in less than 5 minutes on mine. The torque on the saltiga star drag is insane use one and you will never go back. Feels like you are in low gear all the time. The new saltiga made all medium frame 2 speeds irrelevant. The smallest 2 speed I’d buy is a international 16 or equivalent

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I've put my torque 15ld2 on a Black Hole Challenger 8' 20-40 as a 20-30lb but I don't like the trigger seat. The reel is just too wide and that makes it uncomfortable.
    I pair it with a Calstar 700ml and it feels way better. If I where to change it up I would get a UC tilefish or monster.

Upvote 0