What reel would you pair with a United Composite Reaper?

Shumba

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 23, 2011
Sunset Beach/CA/USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Cazadora
Just picked up a United Composite (9' 30-60 lbs.) jig stick for local So Cal waters.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on the best reel to put on this rod. Would also love to hear about any fish pulling experience you have had with the UC Reaper as well.

Thanks!

fcsd_christian

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 1, 2019
San Diego
Name
Christian
Boat
14ft Velco
Mxj (G2 or Raptor). I bet you find anything bigger than a 30 size reel feels to large for that thin rod.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Mxj (G2 or Raptor). I bet you find anything bigger than a 30 size reel feels to large for that thin rod.
Why a lever drag? The reaper is an iron rod, lever drags wot cast irons as well as star drags so there is no point in it. With that mxj slap it on a 8ft 30lb rod and fish bait. Maybe the new stardrag avet but i think the penn fathom is unmatched at the pricepoint for a nice sd or ld reel.

PL_Fisherman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
Why a lever drag? The reaper is an iron rod, lever drags wot cast irons as well as star drags so there is no point in it. With that mxj slap it on a 8ft 30lb rod and fish bait. Maybe the new stardrag avet but i think the penn fathom is unmatched at the pricepoint for a nice sd or ld reel.
The Reaper is really a jerkbait and popper rod. Its faster action loads it up far better then any of your conventional iron rods (think 100Js, Uluas) which load up irons far better. It lacks the sensitivity in the tip to really feel out what the hell your jig is doing.

Slap a TranX 500 on it and fish some foamers!

Reactions: Jjt03 and Rex1978

fcsd_christian

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 1, 2019
San Diego
Name
Christian
Boat
14ft Velco
I’ve had issues with star drags and drag fatigue and now I just prefer fishing lever drags. The more I throw irons with lever drag reels the more I love it. I throw irons with an mxj on a 690J (30#) and a Saltist 35H on a 100J (40#). Absolutely love these set ups. And yeah, on a lever drag the gear mechanism is a part of the spool, which makes it heavier. When the spool is lighter, it doesn’t unspool itself as easily when casting, which means less likely to get backlash. If you know how to use your thumb to control the spool you’re fine, and that’s why I like the Mxj so much and suggest it. It’s already such a light spool it really is great at throwing irons.

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Tee-Oh-Double-Dee
Boat
Small raft
The fun about the Reaper is running to the front of the party boat and being the first to cast at the kelp paddy - but do you think having a reaper set-up for a private boater is necessary?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I have a Tranx on mine. It doesn’t load up like a traditional jig stick, but the thing I like about it is about half the effort to cast a jig about 75% as far as a traditional stick. It means in a crowded ass bow you can just flick the jig out pretty far without having to have a lot space. It fights fish very well as well.

I’m considering putting a fathom 25N on mine as well and seeing how I like that as well.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I’ve had issues with star drags and drag fatigue and now I just prefer fishing lever drags. The more I throw irons with lever drag reels the more I love it. I throw irons with an mxj on a 690J (30#) and a Saltist 35H on a 100J (40#). Absolutely love these set ups. And yeah, on a lever drag the gear mechanism is a part of the spool, which makes it heavier. When the spool is lighter, it doesn’t unspool itself as easily when casting, which means less likely to get backlash. If you know how to use your thumb to control the spool you’re fine, and that’s why I like the Mxj so much and suggest it. It’s already such a light spool it really is great at throwing irons.
Fish a Trinidad or Saltiga and you will never wanna touch a ld for irons again.. and I know about the extra added weight on the spool with LD reels, the added weight of drag material and metal disk that makes LD reels just so much more powerful because of the much larger drag area and heat dispersion. For irons I used to use a accurate bv2 500, that reel sucked casting light irons, I couldn't get past 50yrds on that thing! Accurate does have even more added weight due to Twin drag making the spool heavier which may be a reason, I had a tern 500 too and that casted 2x as far. I now fish a Trinidad 20a for irons on a UC 90 Wahoo, slings 3x as far as any of them.
Now if I was ganna throw irons after bigger fish with a 7x, that's when I would get a LD, like my mak 15t or a torque 40n if the fish are over 100lbs. Other than that my Trinidad 20a will handle tuna up to 100lbs no problem..
For average iron use of I was personally ganna use a LD reel I would use a torque 25nld2. Both will work, you get more distance with sd reels so that's where I stand.

Reactions: fcsd_christian