Dexter Outdoors

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
So, now I have new reels. Last time I went on a LR trip just about everything was JB hollow and loop to loop wind-ons which I mostly made myself. Prior to that it was nightly top shots over solid braid. Now it seems we have come to middle with mostly solid braid tied( FG and RP knots) to fluoro or mono leaders. I guess some are still using loop to loop too.

I have 7 reels that I need to spool up with braid. What’s the collective wisdom at this point for:
1) Live bait set ups
2) Jigs and bombs
3) Flatfall
4) Dropper loop
5) Troll
6) Kite

Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts, understanding there isn’t any one right answer. Lol, I’m still sorting through the posts on flat fall braid and depth.

Reactions: jiggermyster

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    This is what I do. All Live bait setups up to 80lb, fill spool with solid and leave enough room for 100yds of seaguar threadlock hollow spliced to solid. Then connect 12 feet of fluorocarbon with FG or use windon loop to loop of similar length. Tie on hook. I love the way threadlock casts and the way it knots.

Reactions: dunku

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    This is what I do. All Live bait setups up to 80lb, fill spool with solid and leave enough room for 100yds of seaguar threadlock hollow spliced to solid. Then connect 12 feet of fluorocarbon with FG or use windon loop to loop of similar length. Tie on hook. I love the way threadlock casts and the way it knots.
    I have to admit there’s a part of me that misses fishing with mono. I have never felt that spectra casts or even rolls off the spool the way mono does. But I’ve only fished the old braids and JB hollow. I’m hoping the new braids with FG or RP knots will be different. What I’m seeing posted is more strands and certain hollow braids are the way to go.

Regardless, seems like less reliance on wind-ons.

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Sorry, had to go to work. Solid for everything else. Check out the metered, multi colored, braid for flatfall- vertical jigging. I prefer that over marking the line. Solid braid to 6ft flouro, FG connection, for surface jigs.

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Still use windon for some stuff, but I have 100 percent confidence in the FG knot and use it for all line classes and applications.

Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    Whatever works for you honestly. If your knot sucks, it doesn't matter what knot you use, Anything 80lbs and above, I tend to use hollow and splice my topshot. It goes through the guides easier.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Whatever works for you honestly. If your knot sucks, it doesn't matter what knot you use, Anything 80lbs and above, I tend to use hollow and splice my topshot. It goes through the guides easier.
    No votes for a particular braid. There’s so many out there now it’s hard to choose. Not the priciest, not the cheapest, not the thinnest, not the thickest…

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    If price is not the issue then go with Seaguar threadlock hollow for all the reasons I stated. Diamond braid gen3 hollow is my choice if you want to save a few bucks it's good stuff. If line capacity is an issue I like power pro maxquatro, one of the thinnest diameter braids. Berkley pro spec solid is another great line that's soft and smooth. Diawa saltiga boat braid for multi color line for jigging. These are what I use. So much good stuff out there.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Diamond braid gen3 hollow is my choice if you want to save a few bucks it's good stuff.
    Bob,

Many folks have reported spotty quality control with the Diamond Gen3. What has been your experience with it.

KB,

Braid options right now are kind of mind numbing. All kinds of good stuff. JB Line One, Berkley Pro Spec. Tuf-Line, Max Quatro etc.....

Reactions: KXKH
    Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    I read about that, but I have had no issues with the 2 reels I have it on. Both are spooled with 80 lb. It's slightly smaller diameter than most other hollow of the same lb test. Need to use smaller needles for splices.

Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    I read about that, but I have had no issues with the 2 reels I have it on. Both are spooled with 80 lb. It's slightly smaller diameter than most other hollow of the same lb test. Need to use smaller needles for splices.

Curious, what's the largest diameter fluoro/mono you've been able to insert into the 80lb?

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    I've done 50 to 80. 100 would be tight, but doable. I taper the end of mono/fluoro a little more dramaticly than I normally do so I can get it in the smaller needles.

Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    I personally like the hollow on everything so I can cut out nicks or splice on line easily. The end loops are nice for windons but I'm able to do an ok FG knot., just not as quick as others. I have been hesitant to use the fg knot when fishing for bigger tuna, but I just think that is inertia more than a real issue. Threadlock 50lb hollow is my go to line. Tests show it has one of the highest breaking strength to actual diameter ratios (I think I read it was 90# abs). I can attest I had up to 40# of drag using it on a fish that nearly spooled me (I had maybe 30 yds left). Threadlock 60 breaks at less than the 50 and is thicker, go figure. JB hollow 100# and 130# are also nice as the weaves don't come apart easily. JB hollow 60 and 40 are hard to splice, but it is possible. I use a super thin needle first, then follow it with the larger needle. So for your specific setups

flatfall rig- any 100# hollow or solid. You can tie to a swivel then use a bite leader or FG knot if you'd prefer (as always, bridle the lure)
    kite - 130# line solid or hollow, or both hollow 1/3 130$, with 2/3 100#, you are tying to a swivel in most cases, so you don't need a loop at the end.
    bait - all hollow and switch out windons as needed, or get proficient at the fg knot. I use both
    jigs/bombs - either spectra is fine, you can always tie fg knots in hollow, but you can't easily splice solid to solid if you lose line in a tangle.

FG knot - my favorite way to tie is to put the rod in your tackle box rod holder, and make a simple overhand knot loop and put that around the reel handle and tighten as needed. Then you have 2 free hands to tie the knot. Way easier IMHO. Make sure you have knot pullers.

Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Lots of great info. More votes seem to be coming in for using hollow. The ability to splice when knotted or tangled is attractive. Negative comments about hollow seem to be twisting, greater diameter, harder to tie, and heavier for kite when wet. At least for now I haven’t been planning to enhance my line capacity by splicing different poundage braids. That’s why I got a 50 VISW for kite( to be blueprinted to VISX specs) and a 50 VISX for heavy bait and flat fall. Have the 20 VSIX for regular flat fall. Skipped the 30 altogether. That said I could use my ATD 30 or old Penn II 30( Cal Sheeted) to fill the gap.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    There is no 'one right answer.' What suits you and your fishing are what matters.
    With that acknowlegement, here are my 2-cents of info & opinion.

For 50 # leader and lower strengths, I favor short (not in the guides) Fluoro tied to braid. But, I did break my pattern for quirky BFTuna and used a 40FL and 50FL Windon for more stealth. For solid braid, I tie a long loop [6-turn surgeons and 2-turn as safety] in the solid braid.
    60 # leader - I am agnostic between tied-on-short and WindOn - it just depends.
    80 # and up leader - I rely on the WindOn assurity of solid connection, favoring BHP Tackle WindOns.
    All of my 80 pound and higher braid lines are hollow, 65 and below are solid. I like the fell of 8-thread solid and very much like the feel of hollow. Most of my braid lines are Izor (white - hollow), Threadlock (blue hollow), then Jerry Brown (2 at 130 Depth Hollow), with Izor & Power Pro 8 Slick for solids.
    Tight lines,

Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    There seems to be a new trend to go heavy with braided lines on reels that don't warrant it.

The MAK20 for example. Its a great reel to fill with Tuf Line Guides Choice 100lb Hollow. It is one of the thinnest 100lb hollow and the reel easily fits 750yds of it.
    The hollow gives you flexibility. Insertions, loop to loop for your connections. And, In my testing a really strong FG knot.

Most orders coming through my shop these days customers are requesting 130 hollow on that reel. It will hold around 495-525 yards depending on brand of 130. I am excluding GEN III which is insanely thick (I have not had any of the splicing issues with the GEN III as described in other posts).

You cant break either line, nor will the fish break the line if the drag is set correctly.

So why go for less capacity? On a hot fish on a long run, you will be in drag trouble at anything more than 1/2 spool. In my experience, most anglers dont back off when they are getting dumped. This is the reason I favor additional capacity over rated breaking strength. Allows for a more consistent drag over the course of the fight.

A couple of years ago Choate filled some reels with 50lb Seaguar. It has a really high ABS for its size. He got bites but suffered failures from abrasion like birds and things of that nature. Sometimes being too light has its problems as well.

Yet, lately with this Bluefin bite I find people choosing a higher test rating with their line choices on many of the smaller reels.

Not exactly understanding that decision.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Only advantage for this heavy braid I can think of is if you get in a big tangle, maybe you don't get sawed off? I like "thin", 80 and 100 solid, for jigging and sinker because of less drag from current and drift. Capacity of 500 to 600 yds feels safe to me when you have propper drag set. With that said, never heard anyone with a hot fish complain about having too much line on the reel.

Reactions: JohnTFT
    Upvote 0

fishin_kid

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2012
    riverside
    Name
    David
    Boat
    nada
    There seems to be a new trend to go heavy with braided lines on reels that don't warrant it.

The MAK20 for example. Its a great reel to fill with Tuf Line Guides Choice 100lb Hollow. It is one of the thinnest 100lb hollow and the reel easily fits 750yds of it.
    The hollow gives you flexibility. Insertions, loop to loop for your connections. And, In my testing a really strong FG knot.

Most orders coming through my shop these days customers are requesting 130 hollow on that reel. It will hold around 495-525 yards depending on brand of 130. I am excluding GEN III which is insanely thick (I have not had any of the splicing issues with the GEN III as described in other posts).

You cant break either line, nor will the fish break the line if the drag is set correctly.

So why go for less capacity? On a hot fish on a long run, you will be in drag trouble at anything more than 1/2 spool. In my experience, most anglers dont back off when they are getting dumped. This is the reason I favor additional capacity over rated breaking strength. Allows for a more consistent drag over the course of the fight.

A couple of years ago Choate filled some reels with 50lb Seaguar. It has a really high ABS for its size. He got bites but suffered failures from abrasion like birds and things of that nature. Sometimes being too light has its problems as well.

Yet, lately with this Bluefin bite I find people choosing a higher test rating with their line choices on many of the smaller reels.

Not exactly understanding that decision.
    I’m curious, what would your manufacturer choice of braid be for a mak16?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Curious, what's the largest diameter fluoro/mono you've been able to insert into the 80lb?

I've done 50 to 80. 100 would be tight, but doable. I taper the end of mono/fluoro a little more dramaticly than I normally do so I can get it in the smaller needles.

If you’re not using needles, you’ll be able to insert 100 lb and 130 lb Seaguar Premier into 80 lb hollow. Brands like JB, TufLine easily accommodate these diameters. By simply sanding the end of your leader material to a smooth bullet shape, it slides right in. Very helpful to open up the spectra with a folded-kinked piece of solid wire.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    I’m curious, what would your manufacturer choice of braid be for a mak16?
    Should be able to get 625 of 100 Tufline hollow or 700 of Berkley Prospec 100 hollow.

I forgot how much 80 solid it will hold but the numbers are slightly higher.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0