What NEW reel/rod models would you like to see from PENN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
Lefty would be awesome, dura drag too. I think Steve said they don't use dura drag on there star drags because they can't make it the same way they make HT-100, something like that. Both are top of the line drags though!

I didn’t know that with HT-100. I thought dura Drag could be dropped in like getting brake pads

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2021
cardiff
Name
john
Boat
red rooster
I know it's a long shot, but I would like to see the whole line of U.S. made Z's . Starting w/ the 722 . We already got the 704/6 and they seem to be selling.
They are just so darn comfortable to surf fish with a 9'foot Seeker or Calstar glass rod. I'm not that old. I would gladly sell off my Clashes,Battle DX's & Torques. well maybe not my Torques

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Bring back the international Fly reels. Large arbor would be cool but I'd honestly just buy more of the old ones.

Upvote 0

Mike Hulse

Whole Sea Fishing
Sep 28, 2019
So Cal
Name
Whole Sea Fishing
Boat
Gravy
Would love an American made reboot of the Jigmaster and Squidder, built similarly to the American Senators.

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
Would love an American made reboot of the Jigmaster and Squidder, built similarly to the American Senators.

considering jigmaster is $80 retail for the China made version. If they made it in the US and it cost $160 then it competes with the Squall II line.
Unless the demand is there for a jigmaster at that price, I don’t think they will do it.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Regarding the Torques. Get rid of the stamped reel seats and replace them with sold machined aluminum. Then move the clamp posts wider apart. The way the reel seats are currently made they only fit rods that have a reel seat smaller than 23mm.
I have the whole line up of Torques but can't use some of them until I get some rods with smaller butts.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
  • Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Yes about 53ipc Cals has it at 60 inch but guys are saying it’s hard to crank all day with Bombs but okay with iron
    I think that’s a hard one to cover because I don’t believe Florida/east coast guys throw bombs for wahoo, and not everyone out here gets a chance to fish for wahoo. I like the idea for us LR guys but I’m not sure about others

Reactions: wahoononi
    Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    So like, an idea here.

Let’s be frank, Penn has to be able to make money. They can’t really spend a huge amount of money on making a certain individual size for small field of jig tossers... sooo... my idea, is to have Penn just make a spool, a spool shaft, and a frame for the exact size. If anglers want it, they are free to get it (by the that the exact size they want, not the frame for free). That way Penn doesn't have to spend the extra cash on anodizing little numbers and stuff and what not. It wouldn’t be a super high profit item, but it would satisfy the customers well enough.

Edit to a couple misconceptions, I was slightly inebriated with this idea.

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: Tugboat64
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Fathom 500 size low pro
    Oh yeah.. a fathom 500 and would make huge sales!! With the fathoms cast aluminum frame and sideplates, full ss gears, deeper cut and wider spool for more capacity, with synchronized level wind, and of course penns Live Spindle design.
    A reel like that would probably scare Shimano if priced reasonably.. Kinda like the fathom lds, those reels were selling so fast that Shimano decided to make a Shimano Fathom named the "speed master".

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Black Torque star drags would make me convert my whole fleet of jig sticks over as well as all my other star drag reel applications....

Some suggestions on upgrades:

Maybe slim them down a bit (Overall diameter of housing) AND utilize a base plate/reel foot that is screwed on to the frame. Now you can really take it all apart to clean and maintenance without all the salt buildup on the rivets holding reel foot on. On the reel foot use bosses that will accept a screw of 8/32 or whatever deemed appropriate that would screw into them from the clamp side. The best star drag reel on the market uses a clamp system from 1962..? No bueno. Then maybe your Ulua lovers, or other thick butted sticks, can use it with longer screws or others can use a cork puppy or similar more effectively with other brand rods.

Maybe taper the spool such that you can gain a little capacity line wise.

The torque is the best star drag on the market, it just needs a little modernizing and the upgrades in color scheme....

I get that at one time gold was deemed to be known to represent the "Best" reels and all that but times have changed. many other mfg are making various colors to suit the market. As I have said may times, MOST grips on fishing rods are black so color scheme wise the black reel will go better with almost anything...

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    how much different would that be from the current 25N.

Slightly Smaller diameter frame, more comfortable in the hands compared to a 25n, and not as wide as a 15. It would be the perfect 20-30 lb and great for the local scene.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.